ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-11, 10:38 PM

Enigma33 has a spectacular aura aboutEnigma33 has a spectacular aura about
ADD & Hypothyroidism

Does anyone else here suffer from hypothyroidism? I was Dx'ed in May, and apparently some of the side effects are brain fog, memory loss, poor concentration... all problems I had been having when Dx'ed with ADD last October. My blood levels were sky-high (those of you that know about thyroid tests- TSH was 15.4 on a .4-4.0 scale, fT4 .8 on a .7-1.8 scale, and TPO antibodies were 869 on a 0-9 (yes, 9!!) scale). This is a result of an autoimmune condition, Hashimoto's thyroiditis- apparently my body wants to kill my thyroid. And I am only 27. woohoo.

I am becoming very frustrated with my doc since he does not seem very knowledgeable about this condition... I have to do all the research and then prove to him why certain tests should be done. And he keeps trying to tell my all of my symptoms are from taking Vyvanse, yet, all of the symptoms (except for being jittery) started before Vyvanse and are symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Anyway, has anyone's ADD symptoms improved after being treated for hypothyroidism? If so, how long did it take and what thyroid med are you taking? Are you still taking ADD meds?

I am posting this here because this typically is a female problem, but can also effect men, and I figured this forum would get seen more often by both sexes...
When the dose is working, all the noise in my head is quiet. I can look up at an airplane and not immediately imagine the people in it, the feel of aluminum rivets, and wonder what Daniel Bernoulli's personal politics were and what he liked for breakfast.

It's quiet. I can think about what I want to think about, and not random trivia shoved into my brain by the environment. It's actually very peaceful and calm in my medicated brain.

I like being a zombie.
My mind is quiet!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Enigma33 For This Useful Post:
LaVieEnRose (07-27-11)
Old 07-26-11, 11:57 PM
Contributor

Alex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really nice
Re: ADD & Hypothyroidism

Hi I don't have any personal experience with this but I couldn't help but laugh at your doctor. He thinks that vyvanse is causing your hypothyroidism? Or does he think that vyvanse itself is causing the brain fog, memory loss, and poor concentration? Either way his knowledge of hypothyroidism and vyvanse is pretty limited

I'm not a doctor, but from my understanding of biology your ad(h)d symptoms should get better once your hypothyroidism is properly treated.

good luck
Old 07-27-11, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9 View Post
Hi I don't have any personal experience with this but I couldn't help but laugh at your doctor. He thinks that vyvanse is causing your hypothyroidism? Or does he think that vyvanse itself is causing the brain fog, memory loss, and poor concentration? Either way his knowledge of hypothyroidism and vyvanse is pretty limited

I'm not a doctor, but from my understanding of biology your ad(h)d symptoms should get better once your hypothyroidism is properly treated.

good luck

I am really not sure... I haven't really engaged him in this discussion because I think he is totally off-base and I don't care to get him going about it. But, the impression I get is that he thinks that the symptoms I am having (extreme fatigue, muscle aches, hair loss, brain fog, dizziness, anxiety, bowel issues, and pretty much everything here, minus reproductive probs (haven't got there yet!) are caused by Vyvanse. And perhaps making the hypothyroidism worse? Not sure, but I have had all of the symptoms since age 17 (over 10 years), way before I started Vyvanse, but when my blood levels were still out of whack but not treated.

ARGH. I ran all this by my dad who is a pediatrician and very familiar with Vyvanse, and he thought this guy didn't know what he was talking about. Sigh. I am so tired of doctors (sorry, dad!).
When the dose is working, all the noise in my head is quiet. I can look up at an airplane and not immediately imagine the people in it, the feel of aluminum rivets, and wonder what Daniel Bernoulli's personal politics were and what he liked for breakfast.

It's quiet. I can think about what I want to think about, and not random trivia shoved into my brain by the environment. It's actually very peaceful and calm in my medicated brain.

I like being a zombie.
My mind is quiet!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-11, 12:29 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

I can relate. Have major thyroid issues also, mostly HypER due to graves disease. However, right now I am HypO due to over medication to treat graves. My ADD symptoms are wayyy worse when the thyroid is out of whack. Things generally improve as the levels go into normal range (can take weeks to months..) A few weeks ago, I had such brain fog that I had difficulty spelling really simple words (table, and surprise) so very frustrating...the ADD is always much worse until those levels get under control. I have my labs run monthly, no matter how great I am feeling. Expensive, but worth the expense.
In my experience of several years now of having a more rare thyroid condition, many primary MD's haven't mastered the knowledge of it yet. (mine won't even attempt to treat it...other than to run some labs and then only if I am in full remission at the time) Endo's, I've had both good and bad ones. Most knowledgable are those doctors that take an interest in autoimmune conditions, rheumatologists seem to "get it" Over the years, I have learned very much to be my own advocate. Your TSH is Very high, and so i imagine you are Not feeling too well at all, looks like you need to up your dose of Synthroid.
you are right, that many of your symptoms indicate HypO is present.
As for your question, yes I am on meds for ADHD, only I am only able to take Wellbutrin for it, due to stimulants not being an option due to the graves disease. Which let me tell you...while i do see improvement with the Wellbutrin, i think my ADD would be alot better if I were able to take a stimulant medication.
Old 07-27-11, 12:33 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

Also thought you may find interesting.

Quote from book "The thyroid solution" by Ridha Arem, MD

"In the field of psychothyroidology, another break-through is the discovery that an imbalance of thyroid hormone in the brain can be responsible for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

I've been ADHD since childhood, but diagnosed later in life also. There is not a doubt in my mind though the above is accurate!
Old 07-27-11, 12:44 AM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,131 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

I was diagnosed with hypo two years ago January. I was dx'd with ADHD this past February/March.

I opted to see an endocrinologist 6 months after dx to treat my hypothyroidism rather than my gp-who finally diagnosed it. I still had issues with concentration, brain fog, etc. after being treated with thyroid meds. However, I also had issues with inability to lose weight. My endocrinologist put me on phentermine to hopefully jump start my metabolism, which he felt was at a stand still given all I was doing to lose weight. That's when the issues with concentration, focus, brain fog pretty much went away. It wasn't until I quit taking the phentermine and everything returned that I knew something was up. But I blamed it all on my antidepressant. That's when I went to a psychiatrist. I was diagnosed a few months later with ADHD.

I'm not sure if mine improved any when I started treatment for my thyroid, simply because I didn't know there was anything wrong with me until I quit taking phentermine.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 07-27-11, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDisme2010 View Post
Also thought you may find interesting.

Quote from book "The thyroid solution" by Ridha Arem, MD

"In the field of psychothyroidology, another break-through is the discovery that an imbalance of thyroid hormone in the brain can be responsible for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

I've been ADHD since childhood, but diagnosed later in life also. There is not a doubt in my mind though the above is accurate!

Wow, yes, definitely agree! I am more of the inattentive type (wish I was more active!) but I think much of that comes from having the thyroid prob undiagnosed for so long. My TSH levels 10 years ago were 3.47 (and the current recommendation is the high being 3.0). But had they checked my antibodies, they would have found them! Sitting there, eating my thyroid. Apparently, with Hashimoto's, the thyroid isn't functioning well, and on its way to dying thanks to my body, but it will sputter back to life at times, causing me to be a bit hypER due to med combos and the thyroid spontaneously working. Argh!! Going between hypER and hypO and possibly underlying ADD the whole time, it really screws one up! Who knows what my "baseline normal" for life should be!!

I like being a zombie.
My mind is quiet!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enigma33 For This Useful Post:
LaVieEnRose (07-27-11), never2late (12-16-11), Unmanagable (08-03-11)
Old 07-27-11, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I can relate. Have major thyroid issues also, mostly HypER due to graves disease. However, right now I am HypO due to over medication to treat graves. My ADD symptoms are wayyy worse when the thyroid is out of whack. Things generally improve as the levels go into normal range (can take weeks to months..) A few weeks ago, I had such brain fog that I had difficulty spelling really simple words (table, and surprise) so very frustrating...the ADD is always much worse until those levels get under control.
Yes... I know what you mean. I have trouble talking when my levels are all out of whack. like i can't get out what I want to say, or it takes forever, or i mush my words together and people just look at me weird or confused. Then i just give up talking. too frustrating. but the ADD part of me wants to TALK! argh! but this gets better and worse as they play around with my meds to find out what level will work for me.

Quote:
I have my labs run monthly, no matter how great I am feeling. Expensive, but worth the expense.
In my experience of several years now of having a more rare thyroid condition, many primary MD's haven't mastered the knowledge of it yet. (mine won't even attempt to treat it...other than to run some labs and then only if I am in full remission at the time) Endo's, I've had both good and bad ones. Most knowledgable are those doctors that take an interest in autoimmune conditions, rheumatologists seem to "get it" Over the years, I have learned very much to be my own advocate.
After reading about all of this stuff, and meeting with my doctor, it seems like this is a black hole for docs... they just don't seem to get it. I am researching alllllll the time just to prepare for my next doc meeting, one month away. I will have to prove why I want this test, or this test done, or why i am concerned that I might have cancer with TSH that high and antibodies crazy high, or that it should be looked at anyway. It's ridiculous and stressful to have to do their work for me. i just want to trust a doc, not double check everything he says and does.

Quote:
Your TSH is Very high, and so i imagine you are Not feeling too well at all, looks like you need to up your dose of Synthroid.you are right, that many of your symptoms indicate HypO is present.
That was my TSH when my doc decided to do a blood check for the heck of it, but he though my problems were just from stress. Well, surprise!!! I wasn't just crazy. He put me on .5mcg levo and at the next tests, my levels went down to TSH 6.8, so he upped it to .75 mcg, and still waiting for those tests for a couple of weeks. I don't feel as horrible as I did, but there are some days that are just horrendous. i used to feel liek this all the time, but never knew why, and just thought I was a lazy, brain-dead idiot that just didn't feel good some days (like, my body felt as if I had the flu, exhaustion, brain fog, achy, but COLD, not hot, and not the flu). i just physically felt like I had the flu all the time. Now i know that I'm not a lazy idiot and there was a reason for this... the docs just missed it for 10 yaers and put me on anti-Ds, because, what else could it be other than in my mind??

I like being a zombie.
My mind is quiet!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Enigma33 For This Useful Post:
LaVieEnRose (07-27-11)
Old 07-27-11, 02:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,016 Times in 463 Posts
Etcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud of

I have untreated Hashimoto's. I should check my levels every 6 months according to the endocronologist I saw 2 and a half years. Just like you, my TSH just goes up and down and lo' and behold, it was at a "reasonable" 2ish when I went to get my bloodwork checked then. So, no treatment just yet. My TPO was high, not as high as yours, but I read that this could also just mean arthritis. I've always had the feeling I'll develop this, but I'm still "waiting" patiently for it to happen. (My gran has and I tend to have inheritated her body, although I absolutely dislike that)

The reason I went to an endo, was because my gp had my bloodwork checked when I was soooo tired (I slept like 14 hours a day, working 8 and 2 hours just sitting there in the sofa, thinking whether or not I should go to bed already...). My TSH was quite high, so I went to an endo to check it out more thoroughly.

When I read all the things about hypothyroidism, it struck me however that my concentration had always been off. Only there and then I realised something else had been wrong with me all of my life. That's how I found about adult ADHD and realised that EVERYTHING all of a sudden made sense.

My thyroid does not do enough problematic things to me just yet, so how could it have caused anything while I was a child? It just didn't explain it. Heck, I don't even feel my thyroid explains an aweful yet - except the sudden gain and loss of weight I've experienced in the last ten years. With sudden, I'm talking easily 20 kgs over a time span of two months. No eating differently. Even - when I was 15 and lost weight, I had stopped sporting. But whatever - besides the point.

All in all, you are lucky to also be living in the States, where they know more about thyroidism and take it more seriously than here in Belgium. In the States, a lot of doctors seem to realize that even an TSH of 3+ can indicate a problem. Here, in Belgium, all they care about is having it really high. Even when I had a TSH of 5 with my GP, he was just advicing me to keep it checked now and then. Like once a year or so...
Old 07-27-11, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,572 Times in 7,490 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe look into having one doc for adhd and an immunologist or endocrinologist for the thyroid. Your doctor sounds really narrow minded or behind the times.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-27-11, 05:22 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,073 Times in 931 Posts
LaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant future

I'm sorry you're a member, but welcome to the club. :-/ I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2008.. I had just turned 25. But I *know* I had suffered the symptoms since I was 13.. and likely before that. I had no clue what a "thyroid" does, except that I'd heard it can be a cause for weight gain. I, of course, am an odd duck in that I gain weight when I'm hyperthyroid, and lose weight when I'm hypothyroid.. haha but I'm not going to confuse you with my stuff.

"Metabolism" does not just mean how you digest food. Well, that's over-simplistic. On a cellular level you're metabolizing to get your body functioning. Every cell in the body depends upon thyroid hormones for regulation of their metabolism.

So your TSH is 15.4. I'm assuming you know what that means? Here's a quick analogy: Your thyroid is like your body's furnace. Your pituitary gland in your brain is like your thermostat. Your pituitary gland sends out Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) when you don't have enough thyroid hormones to turn up the heat, and that makes it produce more.. if it can.

Your thyroid produces 2 hormones that can be checked: T4, which is Thyroxine and T3 which is triiodothyronine. The normal thyroid gland produces about 80% T4 and about 20% T3, however, T3 possesses about four times the hormone "strength" as T4, and a significant percentage of your T4 is metabolised in to T3 to be more useful. You definitely need a healthy level of T4, but here's only one of the many BS things traditional endocrinologists and doctors write off as BS: You need a healthy level of T3. What the H am I saying? Even if your TSH and your T4 were in a healthy range, you could still feel like crap, and not be functioning well physically and/or mentally. Yea, your doctor sucks from what you're saying, but I hate (I really do) to break it to you, it's *extremely* common.

Levothyroixine? Sucks. You know what tho, that is subjective. LOL it really bites, but if you've had the [sarcasm]pleasure[/sarcasm] of trying to figure out which ADHD med.. or you said you've been on anti-depressants.. that example will work too. One will work great for one person, and not for another. There's Levothyroxine which is the generic for Synthroid.. and both are "thyroxine" meaning they're synthetic (which means man-made) T4. "But LaVieEnRose, you just said that T4 only isn't the answer." Yes I did! And in my opinion, and experience in trying both of these drugs, they suck. But if they're working for you, KEEP taking them. Have your doctor check your T3, and if it's not in mid-upper range, get yourself some synthetic T3: Brand name - Cytomel, Generic - Triiodothyronine.

Yea, you're going to have to become your own advocate, unfortunately. You definitely should find another doctor, but even so, you may have to tell them what tests to run. It can be ridonkulous, BUT, it's worth it. You're going to get feeling better. Your antibodies being elevated to 869 is remarkable. Mine were 799 last time they were checked. It could mean nothing, but it could mean a few things. I'll list my suggestions at the end of this monster post.

Your doctor is wrong in blaming your symptoms on Vyvanase, because 1. Your antibodies, and 2. how high your TSH is, along with all your symptoms. However, here's a list of things that can throw off your thyroid. Interesting to note: changing of seasons (due to the temperature), and anti-depressants can cause sub-clinical hypothyroidism, or exacerbate an existing thyroid condition. Another point I want to interject:

"A normal TSH does not rule out thyroid dysfunction and a low TSH is shown to be an indication of excessive tissue thyroid levels only 20% of the time (80% of the time that is not the case). The TSH becomes an extremely poor marker for tissue thyroid levels if there is any inflammation, depression, chronic illness, chronic dieting, obesity, stress, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, diabetes, insulin resistance, leptin resistance present."
-- Kent Holtorf, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma33 View Post
My TSH levels 10 years ago were 3.47 (and the current recommendation is the high being 3.0). But had they checked my antibodies, they would have found them!
Ahh Enigma, I can relate to you so well. First of all, 3.47 IS hypothyroid. 3.47 makes me feel like death: dazed and confused, slow in the head and slow in the bod. It's so sad that some doctors even today would say that's an okay number. I know the current recommendation is 3.0, not that long ago it was 5.0 and some doctors still go with that. Completely ludicrous. Had they checked your antibodies (and my antibodies) back then, they very likely.. no they WOULD have found them! However, it's VERY VERY likely they would've said, we'll just keep watching it and not given you or I anything but that. Arguably the ideal sweet spot for TSH is 1.0-2.0.

Quote:
Apparently, with Hashimoto's, the thyroid isn't functioning well, and on its way to dying thanks to my body, but it will sputter back to life at times, causing me to be a bit hypER due to med combos and the thyroid spontaneously working. Argh!! Going between hypER and hypO and possibly underlying ADD the whole time, it really screws one up! Who knows what my "baseline normal" for life should be!!
Yup, you're right on base. My Hashimoto's was off the hook. One month I'd have a TSH of 16.8, then it'd be 0.0007 (yea, that's the right number of zeros). In all honesty, you're not going to be able to get stable unless you either have your thyroid removed (which is what I did) or get rx'ed radioactive iodine, which I'm not crazy about at all, but it depends on your insurance situation. TONS of people have taken that route for decades and so it's nothing new. You can read about it. A friend of a friend just got dx'ed with graves, and he's going that route.

But going that route can take a year or two to kill your thyroid, and in that time, you'll still be on the rollercoaster.. although it might not be that bad if your highs and lows aren't as extreme as mine were? But until you can have consistency with your thyroid hormones/TSH, you're not going to be able to get to your "baseline normal."

Having said that, there are a lot of people that just monitor their Hashimoto's every month, or every 3 months is the norm even though that's ridiculous because it can change quickly. If you stay on top of it, you could find some consistency depending on your case.

Quote:
Now i know that I'm not a lazy idiot and there was a reason for this... the docs just missed it for 10 yaers and put me on anti-Ds, because, what else could it be other than in my mind??
↑ This right here? ↑ ↑ ↑ Makes me livid. I honestly don't know what the doctor's angle on this is. Why don't they run the tests? Why do you have to ASK them to run the tests?! Why is their go-to anti-Ds even before they have done the tests?!?!?! "It's all in your mind." ****. If I hear one more doctor tell me that.. I don't know dude.. I am going to go OFF my effing rocker!! Seriously, there's no answer for this. It makes no sense whatsoever.. I have my conspiracy theories, but really, I just think they're being lazy.. and strange. It's strange isn't it??! Why did they go to medical school?! LMAO!! WHYYYEEE?! Just to be able to have stationary that says Dr. before their name? Idiots. *climbing off my soapbox*

Quote:
Anyway, has anyone's ADD symptoms improved after being treated for hypothyroidism? If so, how long did it take and what thyroid med are you taking? Are you still taking ADD meds?
It makes a lot of sense why you're questioning your ADHD dx. My mood, anxiety, depression, inattentiveness, focus, drive, *dry* skin, and hair have all DRASTICALLY improved. DRASTICALLY. And I'm regular! Seriously that's funny? But it's not hahahaha. It's awesome.

It could very well be that you don't have ADHD. But, then again, you might. However, even if you do, the meds won't fix the inattentiveness/slow cognition/depression caused by hypothyroidism. Period. Here's a thread I thought was pretty interesting on the subject.

Once I got my 'roid removed, and figured out my right dose, I mean the improvement was immediate, but within 3 months it was like.. oooohh yeah. However, I still have ADHD, and take Adderall.

For my thyroid, I take Westhroid (and it's generally about $20 depending on the pharmacy). It is made out of pig's thyroid hormones which sounds gross, but it's just like a regular pill. It's the bomb. Unbelievable. That synthetic crap is well, crap IMO, but again, some people do well on it. Westhroid has T3 in it too. Ahh it's so rad. I also take additional synthetic T3 (Cytomel). Westhroid has the exact number of T4 and T3 measured precisely in each pill and it's excellent. But again, if they check your T3 and it's not in the mid-upper range, you should supplement with additional T3. I want to kiss every one of those pigs that's given me my life. KISS.

Side note: Do not take Armour Thyroid, which is another natural medication made from pig's thyroids. They sold their labs to another company a couple years ago and the product is awful.. for *everyone*.

My suggestions:

1. Yes, you should have an ultrasound done of your thyroid to check for cancer, and possibly a biopsy. The good news is, if it is thyroid cancer, it does NOT metastasize.

2. You should get another doctor. I'd call around and ask the receptionist if the doctor perscribes Westhroid. That'll tell you a lot, because these traditional bozos usually won't. Why? THAT I would believe to be a conspiracy, but I'm not going to go off on it. PM me if you want to talk about that hahaha.

3. If it's possible, you should either kill or get your thyroid removed. If your thyroid is cancerous, they're going to go in anyway to remove the cancer, and at least 1/2 if not your full thyroid. But if it isn't cancerous, you can still get it taken out.

If it's not possible, get your levels monitored as often as you can, and get yourself on Westhroid pronto cinco seis.

4. With your antibodies being that high, they should check your ANA (Antinuclear Antibodies). You *might* be able to get an endocrinologist to test that, or maybe your general practitioner, but really you should set up an appointment with a rheumatologist to rule out any other autoimmune issues. :-/ I hope this is the only one you have to deal with, and it's highly likely if these are all your symptoms. But you should get it checked.

I see you cited Mary Shomon, which is excellent. She is fantastic, and I'm glad you're reading her stuff. Another site you could check out is: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Best of luck to you. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it further.

Last edited by LaVieEnRose; 07-27-11 at 05:39 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LaVieEnRose For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (07-27-11), Impromptu_DTour (07-27-11), tired1823 (07-28-11), Unmanagable (08-04-11)
Old 08-22-11, 07:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 10+ years ago and I while I agree that many of the symptoms are similar, Hypothyroidism is NOT an underlying CAUSE of ADHD.

Together they are a double whammy though since they cause similar problems. Brain fog in particular! All of those symptoms you listed are without a doubt due to your thyroid and if you can I would switch doctors. He/she is clearly ignorant and not willing to educate themselves on the topic.

After years of blaming my thyroid for my afternoon slump and inability to focus and just plain physical exhaustion and having my Dr. tell me I was just stressed and should meditate, my counselor finally suggested I get tested for ADHD. Thanks goodness for her! She is also Hypothyroid and suggested the book, Stop the Thyroid Madness. I didn't read it though because as soon as I started on Adderall, all the things I was blaming on my thyroid went away. Big relief!

Stand up for yourself and get another Dr. if you can/have too. You deserve to get the right treatment and feel good!
Old 05-07-13, 10:47 AM
Jr Member

oreomunky is on a distinguished road

I know this is a very old post but I just wanted to chime in on the discussion. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 2 years ago and became extremely hypo. Along with the normal effects of hypothyroidism (weight gain, skin problems, fatigue) came intense brain fog and memory problems. No matter how much caffeine I pumped into my system, I just couldn't think clearly (which had never ever been a problem before).

After surgery, radiation, and thyroid hormone replacement, my endocrinologist said my memory and brain fog problems should go away --- they never did. All other symptoms were alleviated besides the cognitive problems.

Finally, the doc diagnosed me with ADHD and prescribed me 30 mg Vyvanse. After the first few days of taking it, the fatigue that I felt during my hypothyroidism came back full force. I'm so sluggish and tired.

I'm wondering if the efficacy of my Armour Thyroid meds are lower when I take it together with the Vyvanse (even though I can't find any contraindications or drug reactions online between these two medications and my doc said they'd be fine together) and that's what's causing me to be sluggish? Or if the Vyvanse does needs to be adjusted? Or maybe it's the wrong medication for me all together....who knows.
Old 05-07-13, 02:44 PM

anagram has disabled reputation

Quote:
Does anyone else here suffer from hypothyroidism?
Yes, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's some 5 years ago. I'm 28. My mother has it and her brother has it too.

Quote:
I am becoming very frustrated with my doc since he does not seem very knowledgeable about this condition... I have to do all the research and then prove to him why certain tests should be done.
I had a doctor tell me to "just take this for three months and you'll be fine" after the first time I had my blood levels tested ¬¬ (For those who don't know about it, Hashimoto's is not curable, you have to keep taking Thyroid hormones for the rest of your life.)

Quote:
Anyway, has anyone's ADD symptoms improved after being treated for hypothyroidism?
My mood symptoms have definitely improved (I used to think I had bipolar disorder, but it was probably just the thyroid). But ADHD-specific... not really much improvement at all.

Quote:
If so, how long did it take and what thyroid med are you taking?
I take levothyroxine AKA L-thyroxine AKA synthetic T4, 112 µg every day. My thyroid-related blood levels have been stable for a couple of years now, but I still have my blood tested three to four times a year, and do an ultrasound of the thyroid every two years.

Quote:
I am posting this here because this typically is a female problem, but can also effect men, and I figured this forum would get seen more often by both sexes...
I'm actually male.

we don't need a cure for the weight of the world
'cause it's floating 'round in the universe
Old 05-07-13, 05:38 PM

anagram has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreomunky View Post
I know this is a very old post but I just wanted to chime in on the discussion.
Okay I just got to your post now... I'm not used this layout. It will take me a while to get used to where all the information is (like the date when something was posted...). It feels to me like there's just too much stuff on the screen. And too few smileys, and the ones available are horrible!

Anyways...

Quote:
I'm wondering if the efficacy of my Armour Thyroid meds are lower when I take it together with the Vyvanse (even though I can't find any contraindications or drug reactions online between these two medications and my doc said they'd be fine together) and that's what's causing me to be sluggish? Or if the Vyvanse does needs to be adjusted? Or maybe it's the wrong medication for me all together....who knows.
I don't know the details about pig thyroid extract and its supposed differences from synthetic thyroid (as far as I'm aware, thyroid extract is not legally available in my country), but in theory there's shouldn't be any chemical interaction in the bloodstream that wouldn't happen with thyroid hormones produced by your own body. Some things can interfere with the medication before it's completely absorbed (if you don't take your medication first thing in the morning; if you eat too soon after taking your medication; or if you ingest products containing soy within 5 hours of taking your medication), but (at least in theory!) the only way they can interfere is by reducing the absorption of your medication.

Any other medication you take may interfere with the hormonal feedback of your body in some way (and thus affect your treatment more directly, instead of indirectly through interactions with your thyroid medication). But then again, if your blood levels are normal, then it doesn't really matter, since those measured levels are the only reliable information. All else is trial-and-error and guesswork beyond currently established knowledge.

we don't need a cure for the weight of the world
'cause it's floating 'round in the universe