ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 08-01-11, 12:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Exclamation I hate living with my parents, but I'm broke.

My parents won't help me and I can't help them anymore. I'm 22 years old.

Both my mom and dad like arguing about the dumbest things, which makes my mom overreact and cry/get stressed.
I'm the one that helps her, but she backstabs me when I want help.

My parents (mostly my mom) love to argue/yell and I notice that I start to yell to when they do. I hate arguing/yelling because I don't want to be like them.

My dad is like a pitbull (I know, bad stereotype), you don't know what mood he's in when you look at him. He gets very paranoid too.

I really want to move away from home. The only problem is that I don't have a job or money. I have exactly $3.34 in my bank account.
I have been looking for a job for a while now.

I don't want to go insane at home from all of this. Home life causes so much mental strain/stress for me.
If I didn't have the friends that I have now, I would of ended my life a long time ago. I'm not kidding about that.

I am considering becoming homeless if things get worse. I'd rather swallow my pride than be mindfuc.ked every day.

Any advice is helpful.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (08-01-11), LaVieEnRose (08-02-11), peripatetic (08-01-11)
Old 08-01-11, 01:28 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,616 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold
Re: I hate living with my parents, but I'm broke.

Sorry. I don't know if this is good/healthy advice but, could you just stay in your room? That's what I've been doing, but Its bc im tired. In any case, don't let them hurt you. Whenever you find yourself getting your feelings hurt say something to make them back off or just go to your room. It's hard to live with parents after you've graduated college. The important thing is to protect your emotions so that you can be happier.
Old 08-01-11, 01:36 PM

StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliee View Post
Sorry. I don't know if this is good/healthy advice but, could you just stay in your room? That's what I've been doing. Don't let them hurt you. Whenever you find yourself getting your feelings hurt say something to make them back off or just go to your room. It's hard to live with parents after you've graduated college. The important thing is to protect your emotions so that you can be happier.
I dislike being at home, even if I'm in my room. It's like a cage.
It's very difficult to not get hurt. I've been hurt for 22 years.

I go out somewhere everyday to take my mind off life. See my signature on what methods I like to utilize.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (08-01-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-11, 03:25 PM

Anybody else wants to chime in?
It will be appreciated.

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (08-01-11)
Old 08-01-11, 04:01 PM

Thanked 10,356 Times in 3,270 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Nate

Have you considered the military. I do not know the rules on ADHD but I do know that many have made this choice to get away from a bad situation at home.

My bunkmate was like this. He said it was the best thing that ever happened to him. He was getting into a lot of trouble and while in basic, got his GED and was turning his life around, cool kid.

One thing it does is give you some breathing room to get yourself together and see where you want to go.

I am not advocating you do this but it might be an option to explore.

Dizfriz
The Following User Says Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-01-11)
Old 08-01-11, 05:20 PM

Thanked 13,631 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Time to consider reaching into the assistance grab bag and see what kind of help you can qualify for. Not a thrill, perhaps, but it has to be better than the current situation.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
BR549 (08-02-11), Dizfriz (08-01-11), peripatetic (08-01-11), tired1823 (08-01-11)
Old 08-01-11, 05:38 PM
supermoderator

Thanked 22,214 Times in 9,957 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

well, in light of my closest friend currently living ...unhomed...i'm going to advocate against going the homeless route. i'm with tig on looking into assistance to see what options are available. your home life is ...clearly, less than optimal with the fighting and such...but not worrying about where you're getting your next meal, how you'll launder the clothes you've been wearing for the past weeks,not to mention where you'll be next week...those are bigger challenges than you want to endure if you don't absolutely have to.

best to you always, nate
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-01-11), anonymouslyadd (08-02-11), Dizfriz (08-01-11), LaVieEnRose (08-02-11), Unmanagable (08-01-11)
Old 08-01-11, 06:13 PM

Thanked 9,614 Times in 5,251 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I agree w the jolly bouncing tigger and peri.Maybe if its nice out go take a walk to the park and sit under a shade tree and just relax.TO me that is very liberating to just sit there and take everything in even people watch.THe quiet park is better then hearing a bunch of screaming and yelling.I wouldnt recomend the homeless route either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-01-11), Dizfriz (08-01-11), peripatetic (08-01-11)
Old 08-01-11, 09:16 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Think about volunteering. That at the least will get you out of the house. Plus you will be doing something that is needed which can only help your self esteem -- which as an adult living at home no doubt has been taking a beating. Who knows your volunteer position can lead to paid employment. It's been known to happen...
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-01-11), BR549 (08-02-11), Caffeinator (08-02-11), ginniebean (08-01-11), LaVieEnRose (08-02-11), peripatetic (08-01-11)
Old 08-01-11, 09:26 PM

AddledSquirrel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
Anybody else wants to chime in?
It will be appreciated.
Ok, but I would remind you that you asked.

Your parents are imperfect people with their own baggage. Unless they are total Nazis, though, there will be a day that you will give anything to hear their voices again, even if they're yelling. Seriously. (Plus put yourself in their shoes - their unemployed 22 year old kid has moved back in. I guarantee you that your parents love you more than you'll EVER know ... but this current situation probably isn't what they had in mind.)

Just sayin'. Am I saying you should like your situation? No. You're a grown man, you need to get a job (which I know you're working on), save up some cash and move out. Wanting to do these things is completely normal (I'd be more worried if you had no intention of ever moving out).

In the meantime, though ... you've got free room and board and free rent. I'm not diminishing what you're going through, but it could be much, much worse.

As far as jobs go -- temping is kinda cool. Irregular hours, yes, but a lot of employers do most or all of their hiring through temp agencies.

Hang in there like a hair in a biscuit!

Last edited by AddledSquirrel; 08-01-11 at 09:37 PM..
Old 08-01-11, 10:20 PM

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,493 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

You should keep trying to get employment, not only to get out of your parents house, but for some self esteem too. I realize the job market is limited, especially for someone with ADHD, but keep pounding the pavement. An added bonus, if you're out job hunting you are not in your house with your yelling parents. It helps not to be too fussy about the job. You might have to flip burgers or scrub toilets, but it could be a stepping stone to something better. You have to start somewhere, and you seem like an intelligent enough person. Job hunting is so frustrating, but don't give up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
LaVieEnRose (08-02-11)
Old 08-01-11, 10:24 PM
Contributor

Lillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud of

Try Vocational Rehab - they help people with disabilities get jobs and can tell you how to look for independent living and services. I think in California it might be: http://www.rehab.cahwnet.gov/eps/vocrehab.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lillianmay For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (08-01-11), peripatetic (08-01-11), StoicNate (08-02-11)
Old 08-02-11, 03:27 AM

Thanked 10,790 Times in 5,670 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

The irony is, if you had a job that you enjoyed, your situation at home would probably bother you WAY less plus then you'd know you would be making plans to move out etc at some point...
Stay out all day if you can, look for jobs, go to the library and research sources for assistance, go to the beach, whatever you can do, even if it's totally random.
Old 08-02-11, 05:14 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 12,493 Times in 6,386 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

I like DizFriz's idea on joining the military. When I was entertaining joining the National Guard, the recruiter asked me if I was dependent upon the ADD meds. I did watch a Barkley video where he said the military had begun screening people for ADD. The ASVAB (test to get into the military) is not terribly difficult. A few years back, they were turning away people, but that may have changed. It's worth a shot.

Good luck to you Nate. I know family issues suck.
Long-term, we must begin to build our internal strengths. It isn't just skills like computer technology. It's the old-fashioned basics of self-reliance, self-motivation, self-reinforcement, self-discipline, self-command.

~Steven Pressfield
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-02-11)
Old 08-02-11, 11:59 AM
Contributor

Redrightnow has disabled reputation

Nate-- do you have a car?