ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 09-09-04, 10:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

Onwari is on a distinguished road
Strattera give same results as Adderall?

I am starting school soon. I am scared to death. I get butterflies just thinking about it and I am 39 years-old. I have been working on this 2 year degree now for 10 years....I was diagnosed ADHD at 29 when my boys were diagnosed.

Anyway, I had success with Adderall. I went off of it a year ago because it seemed like I had to take more and more of it. So I just quit taking it on my own and stuck to my Wellbutrin. I am taking 400 mg a day.

I just went to my doc to see if he would prescribe Adderall or something like it. I passed my algebra class on Adderall. That is after repeating it over and over. I just couldn't pass. I took Adderall and I flew through it! I enjoyed the math! Since I was a kid, I hated math and feared it. Now, it isn't so scary. Adderall can be thanked for that!

My doc said no to Adderall, and put me on a small dose of Strattera! He wasn't the doc that initially prescribed it. This guy has been my family doc for years. My insurance dropped the other doc. My family doc said Adderall is too dangerous to prescribe for adults!! What?? It works!! I have ADHD for gosh sakes. It has been affecting me since I was an infant! I know what ADHD is *******!

He said I may be depressed. Yes doc, ADHD makes me depressed. Not passing my classes makes me depressed. Geee, does that mean that depression is the answer? Well then, I was depressed as an infant up until now. Hmmmmmm.

After reading this forum, I don't want to take Strattera. I am used to the side affects of Adderall. I don't want to try this knew drug. Ritalin, Dexadrine, Adderall or something I would take only for school because I know they work.

I didn't tell him that I was on Adderall for 2 years and I felt I was taking too much and had to quit. From what I read here, 15 mg twice a day isn't much, and that was what I was taking. Maybe I should have told him?

I felt like saying to my doc, "Please, just give me something to pass the class I have taken twice with no meds. My final anatomy class where memoriziation is required. Doctors have been prescribing stimulant meds for ADHD for decades! Why change now??"

But he has the medical degree and I don't. ****, I can't even get my nursing degree. I feel like throwing in the towel again I am so frustrated. I don't feel like looking all over the city for another doctor.

Sorry this is so long. I am just verrrrry frustrated and angry.

Can you guys just post, "Yes, I got results from Strattera" or "No, I didn't get the results from Strattera." I don't have time for testing different meds while I am trying to study and memorize. I start school next week.
Old 09-09-04, 11:51 PM

Toaster is on a distinguished road
I hated straterra, but you might get better results. it did nothing for me, in fact it made me so sleepy and groggy that the last thing i wanted to do was study.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toaster For This Useful Post:
loveydovey25 (03-22-11), someone (08-02-11)
Old 10-11-04, 03:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunnystar is on a distinguished road
It had a very similar effect on me actually. Almost exactly in the pro's but I had bad side affects with both as well. It affects everyone differently, Strattera made my head tingle a lot more, which is not good or bad in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-05, 06:10 PM
Jr Member

Pam In Pearland is on a distinguished road
Hated it!!!! I took Strattera for 3 weeks until I was so sleep deprived it was ridiculous. I think it is useless and is a drug that docs "decided" was an alternative for stimulants. Don't put yourself down because you know more about your body and how things work than ANY doctor in the world. I am an RN and sometimes the doctors make me ill with their pompous selves.
Old 01-16-05, 01:24 AM
Suspended Account

Suspended User is on a distinguished road
I receieved severe erections with it at 90 mgs a day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suspended User For This Useful Post:
Kilroy (07-21-11), mjana (04-15-09)
Old 01-18-05, 12:13 AM
Jr Member

bukgait is on a distinguished road
If thats the case, then I'm glad..

If Strattera gave you the same results as Adderall, then thank the lord..I am saved! ..I always thought that Strattera came about just to make things "politically correct," you know, by giving a name to a drug that doesn't push the stigma of a "druggie" like Adderall and Ritalin (amphetamines). I've yet to take Strattera due to insurance conflicts but I'll keep posted when I do!
Old 01-19-05, 07:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

Jay Jay is on a distinguished road
I would get so sleepy from the Strattera that I couldn't drive. So we switched to 40mg Strattera at bedtime, and 25mg AdderallXR in th AM. I don't get any rebound effect when the Adderall wears off, and my focus and oranization are still going strong in the evenings. Then by taking the Strattera at bedtime I get a good sleep too. Everyones different though, so there's no guarantees. You've got to experiment a bit, and then stick with what works for you.
Old 01-19-05, 09:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

moonlily is on a distinguished road
I had the same experience. Strattera makes you tired! I lowered my dose and added a low dose of Adderral, and its great now. Your doctor is completely wrong. Adderral is not only safe, (its dexedrine & amphetamine) its been used in similiar forms for 50 years. Id get a better doc whos more up to date on ADHD
Old 01-29-05, 09:51 PM

olga is on a distinguished road
Angry

I got hives from Straterra so I guess I'm allergic to atomoxetine! Doc put me on Adderall. If the doc won't put you on Adderall, get another doc, I'm in my 40s and just found out I have ADHD. Its ok, but I did like Straterra better, that is before I got hives.
Old 01-30-05, 09:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

abre los ojos has disabled reputation
For most poeple, Strattera takes about 4-6 weeks to start working. It take about 40-60 minutes for Adderall to start working.

Wellburin and Strattera is over-kill. They both work on Norepinephrine. Youre Doctor is a Quack if he's prescribing these together.
Old 11-27-06, 03:37 PM
Jr Member

nathn is on a distinguished road
Seems like there have been several negative responses to Strattera, but I'll put my vote in as a relatively satisfied patient.

I've never tried Adderall (I asked my doc to avoid stimulants) because I always felt jittery on Ritalin.

I know that at my school a lot of non-ADD people use Adderall for the high and the energy. IF that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed with Strattera.

And the side effects ARE PRONOUNCED at the beginning and each time dosage increases. I've had pretty much every side effect on the bottle except depression/suicidal ideation. But, none have persisted more than 3 weeks on a stable dosage. I started at 25mg and it took almost two months to reach 80.

Now, the only side effects I have regularly are goose bumps and some acid indigestion if I don't take the medication with food. I don't feel much different than before Strattera, but observers tell me I seem more focused. I started my dosage at the beginning of the semester. In retrospect, it would have been better to do it during a holiday break or over the summer so that the drowsiness wouldn't have hit during class =/

My personal experience has been that there are two major areas where ADD manifests itself in my life: distractability and motivation/energy. Strattera doesn't help with motivation. It helps distractability. I'm not sure yet if it helps with energy. I feel like when I get a good night's sleep (because my mind doesn't race when idle like it used to) I have more energy, but that's more due to the sleep than the medication. Still, I probably wouldn't get the sleep if it wasn't for Strattera.

So, if you're looking for a 'boost', go with one of the stimulants. If you just want something to 'smooth out' your thought process, give Strattera a try. It's expensive and probably doesn't work for most people but if you're willing to dedicate a month to slowly finding the right dose and living with the side-effects I think it's worth it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathn For This Useful Post:
Jade Sea (07-10-11), Kilroy (07-21-11)
Old 11-27-06, 04:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

*~ §EEK ~* has a spectacular aura about*~ §EEK ~* has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathn
Seems like there have been several negative responses to Strattera, but I'll put my vote in as a relatively satisfied patient.

I've never tried Adderall (I asked my doc to avoid stimulants) because I always felt jittery on Ritalin.

I know that at my school a lot of non-ADD people use Adderall for the high and the energy. IF that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed with Strattera.

And the side effects ARE PRONOUNCED at the beginning and each time dosage increases. I've had pretty much every side effect on the bottle except depression/suicidal ideation. But, none have persisted more than 3 weeks on a stable dosage. I started at 25mg and it took almost two months to reach 80.

Now, the only side effects I have regularly are goose bumps and some acid indigestion if I don't take the medication with food. I don't feel much different than before Strattera, but observers tell me I seem more focused. I started my dosage at the beginning of the semester. In retrospect, it would have been better to do it during a holiday break or over the summer so that the drowsiness wouldn't have hit during class =/

My personal experience has been that there are two major areas where ADD manifests itself in my life: distractability and motivation/energy. Strattera doesn't help with motivation. It helps distractability. I'm not sure yet if it helps with energy. I feel like when I get a good night's sleep (because my mind doesn't race when idle like it used to) I have more energy, but that's more due to the sleep than the medication. Still, I probably wouldn't get the sleep if it wasn't for Strattera.

So, if you're looking for a 'boost', go with one of the stimulants. If you just want something to 'smooth out' your thought process, give Strattera a try. It's expensive and probably doesn't work for most people but if you're willing to dedicate a month to slowly finding the right dose and living with the side-effects I think it's worth it.
Ditto nathn! You can add being on time now every where I go and waking up "WIDE" awake to my list of positive results!

Being unmotivated while on Strattera is a problem for me too!

All Posts Are My Constitutionally Protected Opinion.
_.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:l~§eek~l:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._
Old 04-14-09, 09:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

RecruitDir is on a distinguished road
Re: Strattera give same results as Adderall?

As you are already on the Wellbutrin, I'd see if that dose could be raised to 450mgs (one 100mgs to 150mgs), which has a track record of helping ADHD directly at the max dose. Adding Straterra to WB, when they both are doing the samething, blocking NE reuptake, is a recipe for anxiety. If the slightly higher dose is of no improvement - I'd revisit the doc with printed studies of how Adderall would help.
The Following User Says Thank You to RecruitDir For This Useful Post:
loveydovey25 (03-22-11)
Old 05-03-09, 01:17 PM

7Towers is on a distinguished road

It continually amazes me that in this day and age we still have such ignorance in the medical community.
Don't you think it's time that the medical community get out of the subjective mode when viewing certain drugs.
Old 06-11-09, 09:18 PM

cherrib is on a distinguished road

Adderall was originally not prescribed for persons over age 18 years; although the formula did not change, in 2001 the FDA approved it for adults. A company rep said the reason for age cut off was that adderall had been found to exacerbate symptoms in adults.

That said, no two brains or bodies process chemicals in the same way. What works for one may not for the other.

One of the straterra side effects over time is something called trailing, and a pseudo-vertigo when the drug is not taken at about the same time daily. Dry mouth, dry eyes lead to some significant problems with age, as well as dehydration. In adult women, one must take into consideration the lack of efficacy studies for age-related changes. Same thing can be said really of males or females. Going off straterra can be difficult, as it mocks withdrawal symptoms. Strat has been good for me, but with age there are some serious problems. Fam, friends, and an office nurse urge me not to go off *lol* Trade-offs are necessary, side effects or focus? I was diagnosed as an adult and lived my life without the drugs, but then the drugs gave me a second lease on life. But I wonder how serious these increasing problems might get and what might their use entail for the future.

I started college 10 years ago and am now working on the PhD. The most serious obstacle was algebra, but I struggled through, determined to overcome the fear and learn. I earned a B, the lowest grade I have ever received. I earned an A in chemistry and the formulas were far more complicated.

You can do what you set your mind and focus on, then believe in yourself. The drugs aid in the focus and calm responses versus reactions.

Last edited by cherrib; 06-11-09 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: adding