ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 08-02-11, 06:23 PM
Jr Member

Ian of Arizona is on a distinguished road
Adderall and the 50 year old man

Hi guys: I'm a 50+ year old guy recently diagnosed with ADD. My Dr. has suggested Adderall but warns of side effects and potential for addiction. What can you tell me based on your experiance?
Old 08-03-11, 02:02 PM

AddledSquirrel will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall and the 50 year old man

I'm not a guy, but I've been on Adderall XR for years.

Am I addicted? No. I have never, ever ever taken more than my prescribed dose in a day. I am very scattered without my medication, but if I run out, I don't go out looking for it - I simply wait until my prescription is filled.

As far as side effects, I really didn't have any. Other than about a 10% weight loss, which in my case was a good thing. I've kept it off for years now. If you have hypertension you'll definitely want to keep a very close eye on it since it does raise your BP.

Hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to AddledSquirrel For This Useful Post:
Ian of Arizona (08-06-11)
Old 08-05-11, 04:45 PM
Jr Member

It does help and thank you. I'm one of the ADD'ers who are not hyperactive, one of the reasons it took so long to diagnose it, I'm hoping Adderall will help me break out of my mental gridlock.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-11, 11:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian of Arizona View Post
Hi guys: I'm a 50+ year old guy recently diagnosed with ADD. My Dr. has suggested Adderall but warns of side effects and potential for addiction. What can you tell me based on your experiance?
I'm 50+. Diagnosed ADHD/bi-polar about 4 years ago. Currently taking 30mg Adderall XR with 5 mg IR additional if needed. Started at 25mg, went back to 20 before settling at current dosage.

I do experience side effects. Primarily, dehydration. Dry mouth can sometimes be severe. Mouth sores, trouble swollowing. There are other side effects when just starting. Jaw clenching, jittery, shortness of breath are a few I remember. Appetite can increase or decrease. There were times when I just flat out didn't feel like eating. I'm thin to begin with and my family was concerned that I may loose too much weight. But, I rarely struggle with appetite anymore.

I usually cut back significantly during the weekends or during vacation days. I'll either skip Adderall altogether or just take a 5mg IR if I need to be focussed for some reason. For example, I'll take a 5mg before Karate instruction. A 30 day XR and IR script will last me least 6 weeks.

For me, on about the 3rd day without medication, there can be a "crash". I can hardley get out of bed and get dressed. Once I do I go back to bed.
That's why I may take a 5mg as even that small of a dose can keep me from crashing.

I have noticed lately that I do need the extra 5mg hit more than in the past which is a little bit of a concern. I've been working more in the late afternoon and evening. I'm trying to take my XR later in the morning.

My ability focus with compared to without Adderall is significant. It's usually not that clear how much the stuff helps until I miss a dose.

Hope this helps. Of course this is my experience and others may likely have a different story.
The Following User Says Thank You to gnbeg For This Useful Post:
Ian of Arizona (08-07-11)
Old 08-06-11, 12:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,388 Times in 3,282 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good question which comes up often as it should.

Amphetamines (Adderall and related) have been around over 70 years and Methylphenidate (Ritalin and related) have been around over 50. To date we have found few addiction problems when taken as directed. That is the key. Most of the problems with Amphetamines is when they are abused. There, addiction is a real problem.

However, they are considered to be among the safest psychiatric drugs we know.

Keep in mind however that each person has their own unique reactions to any drug. Adverse reactions are possible and for some addiction might be a possibility but as far as I know it is very rare but always possible.

The thing to do is to be aware of the possible dangers and side effects and monitor these with your doctor.

If taking a stimulant is a concern, there are non stimulant medications available for ADHD. They do not seem to be as successful for as many as the stimulants but when they work, they seem to work fairly well.

It is a good thing to check out any new medication especially one of this type with all the hype. Keep in mind that there are some very virulent anti medication types with web sites on ADHD medications that have a real problem with honesty. Be cautions and stick with the more reputable ones.

You might to my corner and read the essay on how ADHD meds work. It might prove useful to you as a quick and easy background on how these drugs operate.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130

Good luck,

Dizfriz
The Following User Says Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-11, 02:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Lynx777 is a jewel in the roughLynx777 is a jewel in the roughLynx777 is a jewel in the rough

I'm 45 and have been taking Adderall xr, ir and most recently, dextroamphetamine for years. Everything Dizfriz said is correct, but for me, the help the meds give me far out ways the side effects.

FYI, my switch to Dex was not my choice. If I could I would still be using Adderall XR. Insurance is such a b***h.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynx777 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-11, 03:11 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,663 Times in 788 Posts
Simenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant future

49 yrs old, dx'd 4 years ago, lucky if I remember meds. No addiction. drymouth yes, drink lots of water, vitamin b for mouth sores etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Simenora For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-11, 12:20 AM
Jr Member

I do appreciate the input...mouth sores? I hadn't heard of that side effect. I'll have to look into it. Thanks too for the vitamin b suggestion. Is it like a sore you might get from a food allergy?
Old 08-07-11, 05:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I do appreciate the input...mouth sores? I hadn't heard of that side effect. I'll have to look into it. Thanks too for the vitamin b suggestion. Is it like a sore you might get from a food allergy?
Canker sores. For me, they show up on my tongue. Definitely from dry mouth. I have to pay special attention to mouth hygiene. Brushing and flossing. Dry mouth can accelerate tooth and gum decay.

The sores were very bad for awhile. Now only gets bad occasionally. Chew gum. Crunch on ice. Drink lots of water. There's special toothpaste and mouthwash - forget the name . Helps a little.

I'm on other medication- seroquel, lamactal, which also contribute to dehydration. So, if your just starting adderall without other medications, you possibly won't have any issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to gnbeg For This Useful Post:
Ian of Arizona (08-08-11)