ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 08-04-11, 12:58 AM

BFGuru is on a distinguished road
going back to old meds?

A few years ago I was on Adderal. I remember feeling jittery the first week which was normal, then after a few months like it wasn't working after a few hours. I was only on 10 mgs once a day then. So the doctor upped my dose a tiny bit. 10 mgs in the morning then another 5 at lunch to get me over that hump. This combination kept me moving but made me violently angry. And since I wasn't in school at the time I figured why take it if all it's going to do is help me clean my house? My kids need a mom that is invested in them not the house. So I stopped it and went back to old coping skills.

Now I'm back in school. I'm stuck in a whirlwind of studying, housework, kids, and other issues and finally told my doctor that I want to crawl up fetal position and start rocking hoping it will all go away. I was forgetting things and losing things and just simply overwhelmed with life again. He recomended trying ritalin because of the anger issues on adderal and since I don't have insurance, I'd be paying out of pocket, he felt those are my only financial options.

Well ritalin simply put depressed me. I couldn't figure out why I was so listless. I'd sit on my computer (my hyperfocus anyway) and just randomly click back and forth between websites, not really paying attention to what I was reading. I'd sleep. I'd ho hum around the house and get even less done. I told the doctor. He said try it a few months and report back. I can't. I'd rather deal with the whirlwind. I tried it another week and it's just not good.

I found an old prescription of my adderal that had gone out dated almost a year ago today, and thought, "what the hell". I figured the worst thing is that it lost it's effectiveness and would do nothing. I was right. It hadn't lost potency though, and I was accomplishing tons today. My house is a disaster area since going on ritalin b/c my kids simply trashed and I had no energy to even keep up with them, let alone clean on top of it. I was able to fix most of that today. I was able to focus long enough to work on piano with my kids (something they've been begging me to teach them for years now), and even studied a bit.

I have to admit I was angsty though. I yelled more than normal, and got frustrated with my broken vaccuum insisting we go NOW and buy a new one. LOL. I did precursor my rant to my husband with "I tried adderal again so if my complaint is over the top, it's the meds".

Hubby is a case manager at a behavioral health company and on his last counceling class for his masters so he's no foreigner to the medication process even if he doesn't prescribe. We were talking about it and he thought perhaps I should ask the doctor again about adderal, but also ask for something for the anxiety. We both kind of agree that my anger issues are anxiety related. I get a sense of urgency to accomplish that "to do" list and if something interferes with the process I have in mind I feel like all hell is going to break loose and it causes me to get angry at those around me I feel are hinder my tasks. So his thoughts are to go back to adderal and add something for the anxiety to curb the anger. My concern is will that negate the effects of the adderal? Should I even go this route? I know it's probably not good to go back and forth between meds w/o doctor's permission, but the ritalin was going to push me into a black hole of depression and I was afraid I'd never climb back out. In spite of being angry at the world sometimes today, I feel much better at what I was able to accomplish with the Adderal and am wondering what to do next especially considering the doc is against me going back after I told him I'd get so angry on it.

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-04-11, 12:29 PM

Re: going back to old meds?

And I'm realizing this the curses "huge wall o' text" and I can't get back to edit it for easy reading.

My apologies.
Old 08-04-11, 10:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,148 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you angry normally? When you aren't on Adderall? Not when you were on Ritalin, before medication. If not, then it would be the Adderall that's totally causing the anger. Although, if you do have anxiety, it doesn't hurt to treat it before you start back with the Adderall. Just so you know what medication is doing what.

Have you tried Dexedrine? It's amphetamine, without the L-amp that Adderall has. Some people who can't tolerate Adderall do well on Dexedrine. Vyvanse is long acting Dexedrine. It's pricey since there isn't a generic version yet.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (08-05-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-11, 03:17 PM

I was told cost wise, adderal and ritalin are my only options since I'm uninsured. But I do have generalized anxiety disorder and I'm thinking it may be exacerbating it.

My new doctor isn't really new. He saw me one time before I moved where I am and went to the doctor 5 minutes away. (He's a half hour away) I just switched back to his practice because of an issue where the one I was with was refusing to return my calls after calling and telling me my xrays after I fell showed a broken cervical vertebrae and no one was dealing with it.

So I tried to go back to this guy for a second opinion and while there, discussed the ADHD and the fact that I'm back in school...

He understands my financial constraints. But he also knows the only time he saw me before then was after a massive family crisis that had me suicidal. I think he's scared of pushing me to that point, but that comes with depression, not anxiety. And I think the adderal is intensifying the fight or flight of the anxiety.

How much is Dexadrine without insurance? Is it doable? Or is it like Concerta (what the want me on but I can't afford) at 150+ a month?
Old 08-05-11, 03:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,167 Times in 553 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

I've heard Dexedrine is much cheaper in the US than it is here, 78 / 5mg plus dispensing fees.... $2 for 10mg/day but the fee will be less if I get 2 or 3 months worth in the future.

In the US it should be under 40 cents/tab. Make sure the Rx specifies generic.

I think it is a little less anxiogenic, at least I hope so. Hard to tell so far... pain, hunger and lack of sleep are confusing things. Since it has more d-amp, it does feel a little stronger in some ways despite being less edgy. I was worried about the cost of switching to a higher dose of Adderall XR, as 10mg was already about $80 per month.
Old 08-05-11, 07:45 PM

10 mgs at Walmart is only 8 a month. I wonder if Dexedrine is on the cheap list.
Old 08-09-11, 01:55 PM
Contributor

Goofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to all

I have found I have extreme anger issues on the XR and I have to be real careful with the dosing on the short acting. If I take the short acting regularly it works the best and helps me with my impulse controll.

Last month I tried vyvanse and it was useless. All it did was make me feel good to the point of not getting anything done. I also ate like a horse while I was on it cause I didn't have any controll over my impulses

Like I said befroe the short acting adderall works best for me. I have anxiety and anger issues when it leaves my system and during the 2nd hour after taking. That I work out with with smaller and more consistant doses. I have all kinds of little reminders to take it at the right time.

Since I went off the Vyvanse I've been more dilligent about taking it more regularily. Because when I dont I get to the point where I just wanna throw the pills in the garbage because of my mood swings.

Hope this helps you out

the goofycook