ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 08-08-11, 10:36 PM

stang1101 is on a distinguished road
Getting prescribed Concerta from a new doctor? (help)

To make a long story short, a year ago exactly I went to my primary care doctor for symptoms of ADD, specifically in college with studying. I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to exams and have a hard time sitting down, and keeping my mind in one place. He gave me a sample of Concerta to try out. A week later I came back to my doctor and he gave me a script to last me for 2 months. He instructed me to take it every day, but it was summer and I didn't really feel the need for it at the time.

School came around in the fall and I decided I was only going to take it for studying. After reading the negative effects of the drug, I really didn't want to take this stuff every day.

After using it occasionally for exams during that fall semester, I still had almost 30 pills left over. I decided I wouldn't go back to my doctor and get a refill because I had so much left. I was just going to use the 30 pills for the winter semester of which I did (still have 6 pills left).

Anyways, so fast forward to today...School is around the corner and I realized I need to get another prescription of Concerta since I only have 6 pills left. I go to call my doctors office and the line is DISCONNECTED!
I go to the office and on the door it says "due to unfortunate circumstances we have closed our office June 1,2011." I was never notified or made attention of this!

So basically, I now realize I am going to have to go to a new doctor. I'm a little anxious as to if they will write me a prescription knowing I've been prescribed this in the past or are they going to give me a hard time about it...
Have any of you had to go to multiple doctors to get prescribed Concerta?
I do have all of my medical records, clearly showing what I am saying is true...

Thanks
Old 08-08-11, 11:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,331 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting prescribed Concerta from a new doctor? (help)

Bring your bottle or whatever? I've never heard of anyone getting a sample of a stimulant medication...
Old 08-08-11, 11:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,165 Times in 554 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

Relax. Take your medical records and old prescription. Explain exactly what you did here; that your old doctor's office closed down without warning. They can check that out if they don't believe you.

They might want to reassess your ADHD, or at least interview you about it, but it's a chronic condition. If you walked into a new doctor's office and just asked for blood pressure meds, or painkillers, or insulin, or an inhaler, they'd probably want to check that out too.

If you didn't like Concerta's side effects, ask if there might be something better.

Discontinuing or rarely using ADHD meds is pretty common. They should be taken daily for best effect, but a lot of people prefer to tough it out for various reasons.
Old 08-17-11, 12:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,063 Times in 7,248 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Find a new doctor and be honest that you don't take it everyday. They may want to reevaluate you though.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?