ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 09-11-04, 03:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Wheezie has disabled reputation
Exclamation generic v. brand-name drugs

i've seen a lot of concern over generic v brand-name drugs. this webpage http://www.crazymeds.org/BvsG.html has a lot of interesting links and research cited.

i tried chasing some of the links, but, it got way to technical and a lot of the journal links are abstracts, i don't feel like paying $$$ to read the whole article.

there was a Federal Drug Administration's site linked to as well (U.S. Food and Drug Administration • Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Office of Generic Drugs http://www.fda.gov/cder/ogd/). but, i couldn't get past the title before i was clicking the "x" as fast as possible! the government definitely has the art-of-using-a-lot-of-really-big-words-yet-saying-nothing down perfectly!!!

here was the bit from crazymeds that i found most interesting.

"The law of the land in the US is there can be a plus or minus of 20% of bioavailability of the active ingredient! 'FDA still uses the plus-or-minus-twenty percent test to determine blood serum bioavailability (i.e., the amount of active ingredient in the blood over a period of time has to come within plus-or-minus twenty percent of that which is observed when the innovator’s drug is ingested.' This is from an overview of the Hatch-Waxman Act of 1999, the last major overhaul to patents involving pharmaceuticals."
Old 11-18-09, 05:17 PM
Jr Member

coondude88 is on a distinguished road
Re: generic v. brand-name drugs for ADD

All I know is, I tried Vyvanse (active ingredient dextroamphetamine) and got a pretty good kick from it for a few hours. Then, later in my treatment, I tried generic dextroamphetamine. NOTHING. I slept all the time. I will never take a generic med again.
Old 11-22-09, 06:16 AM

adhdishere01 is on a distinguished road
Re: generic v. brand-name drugs for ADD

Easy difference: Adderall XR BRAND capsules by Shire Pharmaceuticals compared to Adderall GENERIC tablets (same strength and dosing schedule) made by Teva/Barr Labs - A complete Day and Night experience.

Teva/Barr, in my opinion, makes the nastiest, roughest Adderall or Mixed-Salt-Combo tabs.

Here is another one: Wellbutrin by GlaxoKlineSmith (BRAND) tablets (Instant Release) are amazing in efficacy. Now, take Teva/Barr's (GENERIC) version and you have maybe a 50 percent efficacy (in my opinion of course) of bupropion. They are, like the wannabe Adderall generic tablets they make rough and completely unpredictable.

Thank the Lord that, I may be able to afford the Brand Version of Both Adderall XR by Shire and Wellbutrin Brand IR tablets, as my mental health is what others that live around me view "me" as. Get me? It is DEF. worth the extra money.

Best to You -
Sponsored Links