ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > Counseling & Therapy
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-04, 08:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Doc...These Symptoms Sound Like me

Now a days I have been reading up on symptoms of different disorders and since I am ADHD & Bipolar...it feels like I got the most of disorders all in one...Anxiety, reading comprehension, Oppositional Defiant Disorder and if I talk 2 my mother or Doctor they both say the same thing..."Stop finding new disorders for yourself!"

Well ExSqueeze me when this disorder sounds like that disorder cause the symptoms are the same.....it is sooo easy to get it confused and I would hate to find out later on that I am being treated for the wrong disability. Don't get me wrong, I do trust this doctor...He's the best I have ever seen, I have a something I also want to ask him about. Well, I was reading the symptoms of Co-Dendacy....

An exaggerated sense of responsibility for the actions of others.
A tendency to confuse love and pity, with the tendency to “love” people they can pity and rescue.
A tendency to do more than their share, all of the time.
A tendency to become hurt when people don’t recognize their efforts.
An unhealthy dependence on relationships. The co-dependent will do anything to hold on to a relationship; to avoid the feeling of abandonment.
An extreme need for approval and recognition.
A sense of guilt when asserting themselves.
A compelling need to control others.
Lack of trust in self and/or others.
Fear of being abandoned or alone.
Difficulty identifying feelings.
Rigidity/difficulty adjusting to change.
Problems with intimacy/boundaries.
Chronic anger.
Poor communications
Difficulty making decisions.

Now THAT'S Me all over again...But is this the result of a very Bad Past or is this also an ADHD/Bipolar Symptom Combo?

To be honest...the major mistakes in my life and biggest regrets...pretty much when I quit my job without telling anyone and ran off with my exboyfriend cause I loved him (maybe starting to wonder did I ever after reading the list) so much that mine and everyone elses life didn't matter..and I felt terrible when I could not do more for him and it made me scared to be alone...<~~~~ Just A lil venting and moving on but...

How can I tell about the symptoms and my experiences w/o sounding like a hypocondriac...He may start thinking I am eager to find more disablities just so I can stay on SSI in a year..but of course that is not the case...I am exploring my mind to find out what makes me tic and what I can work on...So Far if it is just the ADHD & Bipolar Fine...Meds will work with some but not all...if co-dependancy is a different thing...then I may have something else to work on but I will also know where I stand and what to focus on....

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-11-04, 08:41 AM

Thanked 8,617 Times in 2,672 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
There are so many wonderful books on codependency that I know you'll have fun getting into the topic if you choose to look further.The most famous of course is Melody Beattie's Codependent No More.
There is also an excellent recovery book by Ernie Larsen that I like a lot called Stage Two Recovery. One of the things he discusses has to do with the impact of alcohol/chemical dependency on the family. I love the way he describes it by saying : "What you live with is what you learn."
"What you learn is what you practice."
and "What you practice is what you become."
Old 09-11-04, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish
I love the way he describes it by saying : "What you live with is what you learn."
"What you learn is what you practice."
and "What you practice is what you become."
OMG I love that saying! In some cases it is true in terms of what I learned as a child eventually I carried with me into my adulthood without even realizing it (Promiscuosity being the key to acceptance) I learned to fear those who act in violence and...etc...is that pretty much the same thing?

So Codependancy has to do with my past and not a mental chemical embalance? Si?

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-04, 09:00 AM

You know me, Dawlin.. I would love to go into this more..I would like to know about what I am talking about going into the office n talking about this.

Old 09-11-04, 01:55 PM

Thanked 3,312 Times in 1,326 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Self-Diagnosis is the most dangerous thing you can do, especially considering the "self-fulfilling prophecy" phenomena...I avoid reading about new disorders, etc. except when I need to, and I disregard suggestions that I have something else: I know I have ADHD, and probably some other anxiety problems, but I don't bring it up unless it concerns me...

First year Psychology students almost always assume automatically that they have any disorder they read. It's very simple to find the symptoms of disorders and apply them to ourselves, and not difficult to make it fit. So I would trust your doctor and his diagnostic ability, and leave it go...
Old 09-11-04, 02:04 PM

Oh, I do trust him... I know he is a pro..but I have talked about my past to him but never in depth..I think I may open up a little more and see what he has to say...I just really want answers and if I expect to make myself better...I have to know.

Old 02-07-05, 01:11 PM

Coral Rhedd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller
Self-Diagnosis is the most dangerous thing you can do, especially considering the "self-fulfilling prophecy" phenomena...I avoid reading about new disorders, etc. except when I need to, and I disregard suggestions that I have something else: I know I have ADHD, and probably some other anxiety problems, but I don't bring it up unless it concerns me...

First year Psychology students almost always assume automatically that they have any disorder they read. It's very simple to find the symptoms of disorders and apply them to ourselves, and not difficult to make it fit. So I would trust your doctor and his diagnostic ability, and leave it go...
Can't remember who said the unexamined life was not worth living but he said a mouth full. People not only have a right but an obligation to themselves to educate themselves on all matters concerning their health. Can this lead to self-diagnosis. Sometimes. But why is that such a bad thing?

I believe it is important that people empower themselves to be as involved as possible in the treatment of their illness. One person I know says that you never recover from mental illness until "you get back everything you gave away." Thinking for yourself and questioning your treatment, requiring a treatment plan, and requiring that you have substantial input into that treatment plan, negotiating with health care providers, being assertive in acquiring needed benefits, and speaking up are all characteristics of wellness.

To Mellie:

About SSI: Bipolar Disorder as it affects your activities of daily living and your employability is the deciding factor. If you have a disability review, you may meet a combative prosecutorial doc who wants to prove that if you can function at home you can function on the job. But confirming again a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder will go a long ways toward keeping your benefits. Most docs are interested in confirming or rejecting the original diagnosis that qualified you for benefits in the first place. They won't care much whether or not other other diagnoses are added to the Bipolar Disorder but only whether or not the Bipolar Disorder in contradicted.

I like your spirit Mellie. You show a real commitment to improving your life and taking responsibility for the treatment of your illness. Whether or not you continue to get SSI is probably very much in your hands. Educate yourself as to how the system works and you will be quite enlightened. You got these benefits for a reason. You have a right to them and you probably qualify for other benefits you don't even know about. Accepting available help is the right road to wellness. Don't let anyone make you paranoid about it or guilt trip you about it.

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 02-14-05, 08:44 PM

Denise is on a distinguished road
Draga,
I have the same thing the more I look the more things apply. My bacis main things that I think all stems from is getting sad at the drop of a hat, that meas I see or hear something sad and it is overwhelming to me and it is simply silly and non rationa yet I can not control it. I cry when my husband is gome for seveal days or weeks at a time b/c of his job. And it wears me out and is just plain old silly. So I look around to see what is wron with me. Then I have the memory and the brain size of a turkey, ( a Pea). It is just hard to deal with with with out kowing why so I totally relate to your looking around to just understand yourself.
Old 02-14-05, 11:30 PM

Oh Man I am the same way...I cant watch news cause there is always a story that is going to have me bawlin....I cry when there is sad parts in movies....sometimes for no reason @ all....just highly emotional and when things just get over whelming for me...Yikes just walk away before my head start spinning

Old 03-08-05, 10:19 AM
Contributor

ADDitives is on a distinguished road
someone said to me today "stop trying to find things wrong with you!"

but its not what im doing, its that im trying to untangle this big mess of a ball of string to understand why i do things and why i am certain ways.

its like somebody choking to death, and you asking them "will you please die a little more quietly, im trying to read".

its the same principle.
not that we're dying;
but its just not right.
Old 03-08-05, 12:03 PM

OMG I know exactly what you mean....I been trying to do the same thing and always hearing the same things.

Old 03-08-05, 12:36 PM

Digitl has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draga
OMG I love that saying! In some cases it is true in terms of what I learned as a child eventually I carried with me into my adulthood without even realizing it (Promiscuosity being the key to acceptance) I learned to fear those who act in violence and...etc...is that pretty much the same thing?

So Codependancy has to do with my past and not a mental chemical embalance? Si?
I know that i had co-dependecy issues in the past. I went to a few 12 steps program for that. It was for me , a big relief , because i finally knew i was not totally crazy, because everyone was telling me, how can you accept this or that??
How come you are staying with this person,,,? Cant you see their are ruining your life and health?
NO , i did not see that when i was into that pattern.
After a lot of soul searching i realize i was like that as long as i can remember, with my sister and brother well actually my whole family. At 3 yrs old , i took a chair go up on it, and slap my uncle on the cheek because he called my dad Fat. I wanted to protect everyone from bad, and i was called a wild child because i wanted to protect, but you dont understand at that age those little nuances of words. My uncle was joking , to me then, he was hurting my dad. I could not have my sibling out of sight. But again is it due because my mom was blind, and i was afraid that she could not take care of them...??
Who knows why, i think today that co-dependancy as to do a lot with your self=esteem. Personally now i could never accept the kind of relationship i had in the past. I know i am much stronger , because i know my weakness and what i have to look out for, not to start getting into that pattern again.
It was hell for me...today i feel so great Draga,,,it is possible to get out of the pattern.
Maybe i did not make a lot of sense LOL..but if you have any question i will be happy to answer them as best as i can.

I've been dating since I was fifteen! I'm exhausted. Where is he?

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
Old 03-08-05, 12:42 PM

I seen the 12 step fpr co-dependancy on official website....it the same as one for A.A.

Old 03-08-05, 12:55 PM

Digitl has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draga
I seen the 12 step fpr co-dependancy on official website....it the same as one for A.A.
yup, i am not into that kind of stuff to be honest with you.. The preachy kind of get on my nerve. Plus i cant shut the darn up LOL...
But i have learned many things just by reading about it , and actually go and sit thrue about 6 or 7 meetings. I know now i have not have any pattern coming back. I am able to make the difference between lust and love. And to ask myself a few question when i meet someone. And yes i do stay on my toe and not let myself go in it, like i use to. ANd it's ok, to take your time, eventho sometimes the tougt of kidnapping a guy and ..... well you know me right lOL...

I've been dating since I was fifteen! I'm exhausted. Where is he?

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
Old 03-10-05, 08:41 PM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
Why you think you've got oodles of glitches...

Well, as a psych veteran, I'd figure you're familiar with the DSM-IV.

When you actually get down to looking at one of those suckers, you might note that pretty much everyone you know has characteristics that apply to at least one disorder, and probably find yourself going, "Holy....how much stuff is wrong with me?"

Happens all the time with psych stuff. That's why its such a frustrating field of medicine/science/etc. It's a mystery--all the stuff is intertwined.

And KMiller is right--all med students are generally convinced at one time or another that they're terminally ill with something. Same goes with psych students...

Chrys