ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-12-11, 12:46 PM

TheRoof is on a distinguished road
How Do You "Know" what the Right Dose is?

I am taking Adderal. I am taking the XR version (Brand Name). While I have noticed an improvement in the morning. The feeling of focus goes away very quickly. Let's say I take it at 8am. I am "In the Zone" by 9:30. That feeling goes away by 11am.

So around 2.5-4 hours it lasts. (Average) by 1pm I feel... Blah. This is not an issue right now. I can deal with that... I start school on the 22nd. All Upper - Division Business Courses. + Part-Time Job. This is the period when I have to be on my BEST performance. SO right now the dose adjustments can be made.

I am taking 15mg XR. I've read some articles saying that "The therapeutic" benefit for concentration is lost after 20mg'. There is only a specific amount of neuroreceptors (i.e. dopamine and other signals after a certain dose you are getting a euphora / high from medication if taken at once) I also asked my doctor, and he said the EXACT same thing. That the therapeutic benefit for focus and concentration is lost after 20mg. (Maybe he is talking about that window period of 4-5 hours or so, so that's why people redose. )

But I personally don't feel that this is the right dose for me, but I am not really sure what are the "signs" ... since I am taking XR should it not supposed last longer at the least? I thought it last for 7 hours for the "most" part.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRoof For This Useful Post:
Medicatedme (08-12-11)
Old 08-12-11, 02:13 PM

Medicatedme will become famous soon enough
Re: How Do You "Know" what the Right Dose is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoof View Post
I am taking Adderal. I am taking the XR version (Brand Name). While I have noticed an improvement in the morning. The feeling of focus goes away very quickly. Let's say I take it at 8am. I am "In the Zone" by 9:30. That feeling goes away by 11am.

So around 2.5-4 hours it lasts. (Average) by 1pm I feel... Blah. This is not an issue right now. I can deal with that... I start school on the 22nd. All Upper - Division Business Courses. + Part-Time Job. This is the period when I have to be on my BEST performance. SO right now the dose adjustments can be made.

I am taking 15mg XR. I've read some articles saying that "The therapeutic" benefit for concentration is lost after 20mg'. There is only a specific amount of neuroreceptors (i.e. dopamine and other signals after a certain dose you are getting a euphora / high from medication if taken at once) I also asked my doctor, and he said the EXACT same thing. That the therapeutic benefit for focus and concentration is lost after 20mg. (Maybe he is talking about that window period of 4-5 hours or so, so that's why people redose. )

But I personally don't feel that this is the right dose for me, but I am not really sure what are the "signs" ... since I am taking XR should it not supposed last longer at the least? I thought it last for 7 hours for the "most" part.
I feel the same way. I worked up from 15mg xr to 20mg xr and still not long or effective coverage. We tried Vyvanse and things were much worse for me. Then we went to two 20mg xr. 1 morning and 1 in afternoon.

I have noticed the effect are best after about an hour after my 2nd dose. This lasts several hours before it rappers off. Next month I plan on discussing the possibility of upping my first dose to maybe 30mg. He may make me go to 25 before 30 or maybe he won't even up it. I suspect my other meds make my adderall less effective.

I've never heard about the therapeutic effects only working up to 20mg. The make a 30mg xr so I would figure shire would not make 30mg pill if that were true.

I've read many accounts of people taking 70, 80 even 100+ mg of adderall to control their symptoms. Is your dr a GP or a psychologist?

Rx: 20mg Adderall x2, 60mg Cymbalta, 1800mg Trileptal, 100mg Metoprolol, Xanax up to 1mg a day if needed

Once and awhile you can get shone the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Old 08-12-11, 02:16 PM

Oh I would suspect if your dose was to high you would experience side effects like insomnia, lack of focus, euphoria, dizziness ect. Personally I feel none of these.

Rx: 20mg Adderall x2, 60mg Cymbalta, 1800mg Trileptal, 100mg Metoprolol, Xanax up to 1mg a day if needed

Once and awhile you can get shone the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-11, 12:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

WhoaaaaaI'mADD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicatedme View Post
Oh I would suspect if your dose was to high you would experience side effects like insomnia, lack of focus, euphoria, dizziness ect. Personally I feel none of these.
Or you'd experience excessive focus (i.e. tunnel vision), sweating, impulsiveness, and possibly euphoria.

I was on 20mg XR + 10mg IR a day for a month. Then i found myself in the same position you're talking about now. So I got it raised to 30XR + 20IR. The 30XR is perfect I'd say - I can take it and feel fairly normal and consistent throughout my day. It lasts quite a long time too - noticeable effects, especially if I enjoy a cup of coffee while it's in my system, can last a solid 6+ hours.

Are you sure you're focusing on what the drug ACTUALLY does, not what you experienced when you first took it? This is a common issue, especially with adderall. I had this issue for a short time and then quickly got myself out of it. I redefined the term "noticeable effects" to be more realistic, for starters. Most people, when first trying adderall, see the awesome effects die down after the first 1-7 days, and expect that their tolerance is increasing at the speed of light (note: it's really not).

Increase your dose if absolutely necessary, but make sure you're realistic in your expectations. The super obvious in-your-face effects DO NOT last regardless of how many times you increase dose. The subtle ones do though, and that's where you'll see the true benefit.
Old 08-13-11, 12:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
I feel the same way. I worked up from 15mg xr to 20mg xr and still not long or effective coverage. We tried Vyvanse and things were much worse for me. Then we went to two 20mg xr. 1 morning and 1 in afternoon.

I have noticed the effect are best after about an hour after my 2nd dose. This lasts several hours before it rappers off. Next month I plan on discussing the possibility of upping my first dose to maybe 30mg. He may make me go to 25 before 30 or maybe he won't even up it. I suspect my other meds make my adderall less effective.

I've never heard about the therapeutic effects only working up to 20mg. The make a 30mg xr so I would figure shire would not make 30mg pill if that were true.

I've read many accounts of people taking 70, 80 even 100+ mg of adderall to control their symptoms. Is your dr a GP or a psychologist?
Shire makes a 30mg pill because it releases 15mg for the first four hours and 15mg during the second four hours, for a total of 8 hours. This still follows the 20mg Therapeutic rule. Now, the 25+mg IR pills do not follow this rule, but that's not the point.

The reason your effects are best after taking the second dose is because the first one has not fully worn off, so you're taking more than the intended dose by piggybacking the first-release of the second pill onto the second-release of the first pill. I'm not condemning you for doing so, as I've done this on occasion myself - but that's the reason you feel best right after that second dose.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhoaaaaaI'mADD For This Useful Post:
Medicatedme (08-13-11)
Old 08-13-11, 02:18 AM

Smile Re: How Do You "Know" what the Right Dose is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaaaaaI'mADD View Post

The reason your effects are best after taking the second dose is because the first one has not fully worn off, so you're taking more than the intended dose by piggybacking the first-release of the second pill onto the second-release of the first pill. I'm not condemning you for doing so, as I've done this on occasion myself - but that's the reason you feel best right after that second dose.
so my 20mg is split 10 and 10, after my second dose I have 20mg in my system for a few hours and am at maximum therapeutic levels. Is this correct?
That makes sense why I function best then.

Old 08-13-11, 04:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,904 Times in 7,643 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered that maybe xr isn't for you? I must metabolize it different but I was switched from two xr doses to smaller multiple ir doses and its much more effective.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Medicatedme (08-14-11)
Old 08-14-11, 12:04 AM

NotaMidget is on a distinguished road

Might be that Adderall just isn't for you, perhaps something like Dexedrine (100% dextro-amphetamine) could be better, or some other med.

If it's not the medication, then perhaps it's your diet. Often times people blame the medication without considering how they act when said medication is present within their system.

When I was on Dexedrine It was the same as you described, as in it worked but it didn't work as well as I felt it should have. Dexedrine lasted about 4 hours for me regardless of weather if was XR or IR...of course there were some lingering effects but they were mostly negative. After I switched to Adderall a little under a week ago I've been feeling great, and it's been lasting much longer than Dexedrine ever has.

You know, people just react to medication in different ways and you need to find what works for you, however if it's not the medication then maybe you've been falling behind on sleep or eating properly?.

Last edited by NotaMidget; 08-14-11 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: Tense
The Following User Says Thank You to NotaMidget For This Useful Post:
Medicatedme (08-14-11)
Old 08-14-11, 12:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
so my 20mg is split 10 and 10, after my second dose I have 20mg in my system for a few hours and am at maximum therapeutic levels. Is this correct?
That makes sense why I function best then.
Essentially yes. It's probably not 20mg exactly because the time release is different for the two half-doses. The first half-dose is released immediately into your system. The second half-dose is slowly released 4 hours later. Typically people feel the first half more than the second half because of the different release mechanisms. So by taking another pill in conjunction with the second half-release, your body gets the 10mg from that second pill and whatever amount is in your system from the first one.

While this piggybacking technique works for you now, it won't do much good in the way of tolerance - i.e. your tolerance is slowly increasing unintentionally. I'd suggest talking to the doc and seeing about a higher XR pill in the morning and then an IR pill for the late afternoon. The IR will be enough to finish off the day, but not too much to keep you awake that night.
Old 08-14-11, 03:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

alan1 has a spectacular aura aboutalan1 has a spectacular aura about

The right medication and the right dose FEEL right.
Old 08-14-11, 05:28 PM

I am gonna try cutting out caffeine and see what that does. I tried today and skipped my morning wake up cup. I took my med and felt pretty good. Not as anxious, however by afternoon I had a head ache and had to have some caffeine. Funny thing was that it help my head a little but I noticed the side effects like I was hotter, slight anxiety and slight irritability. I nwver noticed this before. I will tapper off the caffeine and see how it goes. I am pretty confident that I will be pleasantly suprised.

Old 08-15-11, 11:20 PM

Rugen is on a distinguished road

The correct dose isn't going to last longer, but it will be more consistent day to day in terms of its benefits. Too much will make you anxious and jittery.

When I started on Adderall, it was on 20mg XR. I had euphoria for one day, but by the next day it was working without euphoria. Some days I could tell it was working a little and other days I couldn't tell any difference. I upped my dose to 30mg XR and since then I can tell it's working every day. I do notice that I'm a little jittery at 30mg, but the benefits out weigh the little bit of jitters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rugen For This Useful Post:
Medicatedme (08-16-11)
Old 08-16-11, 08:32 AM
Jr Member

antzb92 is on a distinguished road

Someone said they realized their dose was to high when they spent ten hours playing angry birds. Thought that was pretty funny!
The Following User Says Thank You to antzb92 For This Useful Post:
Medicatedme (08-16-11)
Old 08-16-11, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Xande86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugen View Post
The correct dose isn't going to last longer, but it will be more consistent day to day in terms of its benefits. Too much will make you anxious and jittery.

When I started on Adderall, it was on 20mg XR. I had euphoria for one day, but by the next day it was working without euphoria. Some days I could tell it was working a little and other days I couldn't tell any difference. I upped my dose to 30mg XR and since then I can tell it's working every day. I do notice that I'm a little jittery at 30mg, but the benefits out weigh the little bit of jitters.
I'm wondering if I should up my dosage as well. Some days I feel like it's not working as well, while other days I can tell it's working (and no I'm not just referring to the Euphoria, that went away after the first 3 days )

I'm currently only taking 5mg IR twice daily lol. I know it's a small dose, but it has helped me focus and concentrate, although some days better than others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xande86 For This Useful Post:
Medicatedme (08-16-11)
Old 08-16-11, 03:52 PM
Jr Member

chris44 is on a distinguished road

The maximum dose is not 20mg, and just because you are feeling a bit happier after taking it does NOT mean your dose is too high. The right dose varies from person to person. Some people have a higher dopamine deficiency than others, and there are other things such as weight, metabolism, other medications, tolerance developed over time, etc.

There are many people on this forum who will tell you any positive side effect of a drug means you are taking too much. This is bull. Adderall is not just affecting dopamine, it is also affecting your serotonin levels. It will always effect your mood, regardless of dose. A lower dose isn't going to make it's effect on serotonin go away.

The right dose is when YOU feel that YOU can concentrate. However, if you have a level of concentration that seems unnaturally high, you are probably taking too much.

All from my experience. I'm 5'4, 98lbs, with a ridiculously high metabolism. I take 15mg IR (Barr) twice a day, and am considering asking my doctor to increase my dose to 20mg in the morning, 15mg in the afternoon.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris44 For This Useful Post:
Medicatedme (08-16-11)