ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 05-27-03, 06:18 AM

gkavner is on a distinguished road
ADD Medication & Anxiety

Has anyone else had problems with stimulant drugs and anxiety for ADD treatment?

I've recently been diagnosed adult ADD. I've suffered from anxiety and depression for years before diagnosis. Using dothiapin (a tricyclic antidepressant) helped with the anxiety, but after 7 years of use it did nothing for my (undiagnosed) ADD.

After diagnosis, I discontinued dothiapin and began taking dexamphetamine. It's been about 3 weeks and I've scarcely had any sleep since, my heart pounds (and sometimes beats irregularly) night and day, although tests have shown that my heart is OK. My doctor thinks it's the anxiety, and so do I.

I'm think I might cease the dexamphetamine, but then what? An anti-depressant didn't work for my ADD symptoms for all those years, so why would it now? I already took Prozac and Zoloft a few years ago and got just as anxious on them.

I'd give ritalin a try but I'm sure that (as a stimulant) it would have the same anxiety-inducing effects.

Should I just forget ADD for now, intensively work on my anxiety for a few months and then come back to the stimulants?

Has anyone else faced a similar dilemma?

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 05-27-03, 10:59 AM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Greg: Have you looked into Strattera...the new med that's come out recently....a non-stimulant used to treat ADD in adults...I know some people have done very well on it and others, such as myself, the side effects weren't so great...but I had no anxiety from taking this med, none whatsover...There is a straterra thread here on forums and also you can find information about in on www.strattera.com

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 05-27-03, 01:50 PM

atomx is on a distinguished road
Strattera was good for me in that it had no anxiety. Unfortunately it also didn't work, and the side effects were intolerable. Your mileage WILL vary...
Old 05-27-03, 08:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

misclee is on a distinguished road
What side effects???? Do you think Effexor would be better?
Old 05-27-03, 08:35 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
No I would stay with the Strattera for now Misclee...it's a NON stimulant and if it has no side effects for you, that would be great...Effexor I don't think is used for ADD, just depression...but don't quote on that...I would see if Strattera works out....(I wouldn't even ask anyone, not even me, what side effects were...unless you REALLY want to know...Do you?)

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 07-13-03, 04:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
I have just recently realized that I more than likely have an anxiety disorder. I have known about the AD/HD for several years but just never identified with anxiety. I just assumed that my procrastination was an AD/HD issue. While being in therapy I have begun to realize that in many situations my procrastination turns into avoidance which has a whole lot to do with anxiety.

In the book Understanding Women with AD/HD by Quinn and Nadeau it says that women with both AD/HD and anxiety may not be able to tolerate stimulants with out taking an antidepressant with anxiolytic properties. I would think that would aslo apply to males with anxitey too.

I have just recently decided to go back on medication after not being on it for several years. I had intended to go on medication for AD/HD. It made more sense for me to start with something for the anxiety 1st. So I began on Celexa last week. When I go back at the end of the month I will more than likely have something for the AD/HD added too. The NP who I saw was suggesting Concerta. But, I wonder if Straterra would be make more sense because of the anxiety...
Old 01-14-04, 12:46 PM

xdxcx is on a distinguished road
Not sure if anyone knows someone who's taking drugs (street stimulants), but simply put, the people taking speed, cocaine have anxiety like no other... along with being super paranoid which will cause more anxiety. There all in the same class, but a pharmacutical grade might not be as strong as a street drug... but the pharmacutical drug will be much cleaner for sure. Anyway...

These stimulants WILL cause anxiety... maybe not enough to bother everybody... but they will cause anxiety... and sometimes depression depending on how mentally weak/strong someone is.
Old 05-21-04, 05:11 PM
Jr Member

sywi is on a distinguished road
I find it's very dose-dependent. 5 mg. of Dex will make me feel calmer and more optimistic; 20 mg. will make me anxious.
Old 05-21-04, 05:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by xdxcx
Not sure if anyone knows someone who's taking drugs (street stimulants), but simply put, the people taking speed, cocaine have anxiety like no other... along with being super paranoid which will cause more anxiety. There all in the same class, but a pharmacutical grade might not be as strong as a street drug... but the pharmacutical drug will be much cleaner for sure. Anyway...

These stimulants WILL cause anxiety... maybe not enough to bother everybody... but they will cause anxiety... and sometimes depression depending on how mentally weak/strong someone is.
Some people havie a calm feeling once treated with stimulants. Each person is different though. Make sure you keep up good communication with your Dr. (or other medical professional).
Old 05-21-04, 06:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

kimo is on a distinguished road
I have been diagnosed with ADHD, GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and depression. Other than that I feel fine.

I am currently trying Strattera but not with much luck. Strattera definitely increases my anxiety. I was very close to taking a Xanax today (something I have not done for a long time since being on Lexapro) but I try not to take them for some reason unless I'm really really feeling anxious.

I find Lexapro to be really good in keeping the anxiety down. Since being on it since January I've taken my Xanax only twice. And that was only quarter pill each time. And the second time was because of Strattera side effects.

You may be able to take something for the anxiety (like Lexapro) and an ADD drug at the same time. I know that a lot of people around this forum take both.
Old 05-21-04, 06:26 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
With regards to stimulants, street drugs and anxiety - one big difference when it comes to street drugs is the dosages. A person abusing speed may take as much as 5000mg or more per day of methamphetamine (and they'll smoke it, so it hits the blood stream and the brain very fast) . Whereas a fairly large theraputic dose would be in the 50mg range for amphetamine. So at 100 times the theraputic dose, anxiety will definately be a problem!
My Dr told me that the ritalin may make me less anxious, and I have actually found that to be the case. Of course in some people it may make anxiety worse.
Old 05-26-04, 03:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

akiss4u is on a distinguished road
I have had anxiety and I have ADHD. I find that the ADHD med's at the right dose calm me down and I found that at too high of a dose they increase my anxiety. I have other health issues such as pain from facets syndrome, fibromyalgia, a neck injury and joint disease. I went to the doctor today and he said the pain could be inducing the anxiety and causing headaches. Strangly enough the pain is gone while my Adderall is working. When it wears off I get anxious hyper, racing thoughts, like I want to do so many things but I can't decide what to do with myself - then comes the anxiety along with a massive amount of pain and followed by a headache and then fatigue -with highblood pressure. I have checked my blood pressure 2 hours after taking Adderall and it was good (117- 78) - no pain no anxiety - but then I checked it 6 hours after I took the Adderall and it was 145 over 89 NOT GOOD - anxiety, pain and headache. Not every day when the Adderall wears off do I feel that bad usually it is just stress or something that triggers it. I am still learning to cope and I have found that taking my pain medication stops all the pain then I do not get the anxiety headaches. We are all different though so medication works differently. Some of us have a fast metabolism and some of us have a slow - some have other problems physically and mentally in addition to ADHD and anxiety. But I have taken ADHD meds and when needed anxiety meds. I have also taken pain meds and ADHD meds. It just depends on what your doctor says.
Old 01-11-10, 07:10 PM

cush21 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: ADD Medication & Anxiety

Hi everyone, I had really bad anxiety when I used Ritalin and Strattera and switched to Adderall after a while which was mildly better. Still at times I didnt want to leave the house, it was a pretty horrible feeling. I was referred to check out the herbal and natural remedies due to the anxiety and found ADDControl got rid of my anxiety and allowed me to focus easy. I later found out that the anxiety was a form of social anxiety and is a common side effect of some stimulants. I havent had any issues with ADDControl and its a pretty cheap med too.

Best thing I found when I had anxiety was to stop and focus on how big the world was and how small I was in comparison. Why would anyone or anything be bothered with me so why so I bother with them. Try and keep your smiles on and look at having a glass half full look at life to help you out.

Good luck guys.
Old 02-22-10, 09:44 PM
Jr Member

Jacstar10 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: ADD Medication & Anxiety

Hey!

I too am new to Dexamphetamine; being only 2.5 weeks in and have asked my Dr about similar problems - innability to sleep, increased anxiety and he said that this is all normal and should subside within a few more weeks when my body adjusts to it.

Of course, it is dose dependant and it is important to keep talking it through with your Dr.

When anxiety creeps in, I find if I replace the negative though with something positive that the meds are doing for me it helps... just try and take controle of your mind when going to sleep. Try not to over think things. "ADDas" (people with ADD) are great at dwelling, and the Dex helps you focus, so if you focus on something negative, then of course you are going to spiral down, but if you focus on something positive then it should help in time... maybe no initially, but persist with it. I'm in the exact same spot!

Good luck!