ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-16-11, 03:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Xande86 is on a distinguished road
Melatonin / Adderall interactions - Has it cause anxiety?

Does anyone use Melatonin to fall asleep? and at what dosage.

I took Melatonin 5mg for the second time last night at 10pm and I took my Adderall at 10am this morning.

I suddenly started feeling anxiety shortly after(like uneasiness, felt like I was anxious, but I didn't have any negative thoughts in my brain, it was strange).

And I am still feeling a bit anxious at times today.

The first time I took Melatonin was a few months ago, before I was on Adderall, just Lexapro at the time. And the next day I felt very anxious as well.

I looked up potential side effects and some sites say it may cause anxiety & it shouldn't be used if you have depression.

But other sites, mostly forums, say it is helpful in small doses for anxiety, just gotta love that conflicting info lol.

So I just wanted to see if any here has had any negative side effects with Melatonin.
Old 08-17-11, 12:10 AM

ZSmith is on a distinguished road
Re: Melatonin / Adderall interactions - Has it cause anxiety?

I used to take 5mg of Melatonin with Adderall and it worked great, I stopped taking it now because adderall doesnt cause insomnia for me anymore. No anxiety, and whenever I took melatonin I usually had really good, refreshing sleep.
Old 08-17-11, 07:14 AM
Contributor

Macavity224 is on a distinguished road

Both on and off Adderall, Melatonin has made me go nuts. I'll fall asleep alright, but then I'll have these crazy, vivid nightmares of killing people/being killed and wake up in a panic on 2-3 separate occasions throughout the night. I use L-Tryptophan to sleep now and it works pretty well. If you're on Lexapro or another SSRI anymore, maybe try that?
Old 08-17-11, 11:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavity224 View Post
Both on and off Adderall, Melatonin has made me go nuts. I'll fall asleep alright, but then I'll have these crazy, vivid nightmares of killing people/being killed and wake up in a panic on 2-3 separate occasions throughout the night. I use L-Tryptophan to sleep now and it works pretty well. If you're on Lexapro or another SSRI anymore, maybe try that?
Yeah I've heard that Melatonin usually produces crazy dreams, it sucks that it lead to panic attacks though.

I might try L-Tryptophan though, although I just recently ordered chelated magnesium, which I heard also helps with sleep to see if it will help a bit to prevent adderall tolerance, although I heard DXM helps more.
Old 08-17-11, 11:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSmith View Post
I used to take 5mg of Melatonin with Adderall and it worked great, I stopped taking it now because adderall doesnt cause insomnia for me anymore. No anxiety, and whenever I took melatonin I usually had really good, refreshing sleep.
Yeah it seems like the past two days I used Melatonin, I have got really refreshing sleep, although yesterday resulted in anxiety. But today I split the 5mg pill in half and so far, no anxiety.
Old 08-17-11, 12:31 PM

EvilHobbitofDoo is on a distinguished road

5mg is a fairly large dose for starting melatonin. I usually take 3mg, but my husband can't take more than 1mg without being a bear the next day
Old 08-17-11, 01:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

Urgezz will become famous soon enough

I'm not even sure why they sell this stuff at cvs in 10MG doses. The effective dose is around 3 or less... that being said the ten still produces a drowsy effect for me : agree with the vivid dreams though I rather enjoy it!