ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-04, 10:30 AM

Ruby is on a distinguished road
Question Recommendations?

I do not want to go on any meds right now b/c my husband and I want to start a family--and that will mean something like 5 years until I could start meds what with pre-conception time, pregnancy, breastfeeding, then moving on to child #2 (hopefully).

So, five years is simply TOO LONG to not be doing anything, and I need to research alternative treatments. I would like recommendations such as:

*Specific vitamins or minerals taken and in what amounts;
*Specific herbal remedies taken and in what amounts (NOT all-in-one products like FOCUS or whatever but experience with single herbs, i.e. "I take ginseng every morning..." etc.);
*Specific nutritional changes you have made that have helped you; and
*Specific recommendations for books on managing ADD either with these types of natural remedies or with organizational systems.

Thank you all very much in advance for your help with this!
Old 02-01-05, 12:05 AM

allegro will become famous soon enough
Passion Flower
Cools, calms, decreases aggressive energy, and acts as a mild anti-depressive.
Hops
Increases calm, soothes nerves, clears the skin, and helps in calming down before bed.
Catnip
Relaxes the nervous system, circulates energy, and is cooling.
Nettles
Enhances blood building, helps against fatigue. The freeze-dried form also serves as a mild antihistamine without the drowsiness.
Green Tea
A mild stimulant which complements the effects of Vitamin C and benefits the immune system and circulation.
I will send more later. I have not tried the catnip myself. The rest I have used at one time or another.
Old 02-01-05, 01:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro
Passion Flower
Cools, calms, decreases aggressive energy, and acts as a mild anti-depressive.
Hops
Increases calm, soothes nerves, clears the skin, and helps in calming down before bed.
Catnip
Relaxes the nervous system, circulates energy, and is cooling.
Nettles
Enhances blood building, helps against fatigue. The freeze-dried form also serves as a mild antihistamine without the drowsiness.
Green Tea
A mild stimulant which complements the effects of Vitamin C and benefits the immune system and circulation.
I will send more later. I have not tried the catnip myself. The rest I have used at one time or another.
We went out Saturday night to see a quirky little Hungarian film called "Hukkle". It had almost no dialogue. The sights and sounds were intense and apropos. The subject was the finest balance of the ridiculous and the deepest matters in life, that I'd ever seen.

The story centred around the cultural norms in this small poor rural farming community and the womens discression with belladonna. It was a howl. We giggled all the way out of the city.

I spent the last hours of the day yesterday reading to my wife from the two volume classic herbal that I can't remember the name of just now. hOw embarrassing. It's too late to go digging around now! I think it's first printing was in 1930. I have the 1971 printing with the better index.

Have you learnt your way around plants through self study? Do you garden? We plant a 50' x 120' (approx.) most years. I've got some drainage issues as the climate gets a little goofy. Maybe this year we'll meet with a good crop! I planted 550' of garlic the year I got crunched with the pressures of ADHD. It never came out of the ground in the fall of 2003 as I was not moving very well. I lost almost all of it.

I got some volunteer stock to plant this year and it looks like it'll be ok but it was painful to lose so much after working this wonderful stuff up to that quantity. I love food and herbs are a good thing.

PU has been sick this past year but prior to this year she'd put away about 80 quarts of tomato products with only our produce inside. Oh I'm missing that store this winter. I look after chickens. I have done the transplants many years but lost interest after loosing to a snap -20C at the end of April one year. My heater failed and it was all over. We plant out here on Victoria Day weekend. May 24th I think it is. I started in February that year. I can start as late as the end of the third week in March but not for anything exotic in it's heat loving.

I've had early nettles through a wheat grass juicer. That was electric so early in the growing season. It was more like what I'd reffer to as a tonic. Wildly restorative after a cold winter on lame greens.

My wife got hooked on green tea. She's really no the type you'd peg for a green tea drinker but she's in and in deep. I live off her dregs from the morning.

The others I've not used to effect.

Anyway that's too much for a person of unknown gardening tolerance. :P Thanks for the info.
Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-05, 01:44 AM

Hello,

I am sorry I didn't have time to get to this sooner. I will try to keep it a little more brief than I usually do...lol

I was 20 when things bubbled up on me to the point where I had to finally had no other choice, but to seek professional help. The first diagnosis was treated ineffectively for about 2 years. Meds were switched several times. The side affects were worse than the problems. Nothing was working. My MD referred me to another MD.

The second diagnosis was treated ineffectively for about 3 years. Meds were switched several times. There were many side affects. I even had adverse reactions to a couple that were prescribed. Still nothing was working.

Then my family and I move half way across the country and I began to see another doctor. He had yet another diagnosis and we began treatment to no avail.

When I was 20 I was incredibly naive. I took my doctors words as truth and never second guessed them. In the course of this treatment, I became much worse, but hadn't lost faith in the diagnosis. By the time I reached the second diagnosis, I was really beginning to become bitter toward treatment of any kind, but my symptoms were affecting every part of my life. With the third diagnosis I was just over it!

About a year after the third diagnosis, I ruptured the lowest disk in my back.
It was a pretty awful experience, not to mention the physical pain I was in. I was forced to be still. I was forced to take six months of medical leave. My only real contact with the outside world was my daily physical therapy sessions. And darkness falls...

I had plenty of time to get really deep into depression. Then, I had plenty of time to get really mad. As soon as I had simmered just enough to try to do something about it, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

Now, there is a limit to what I can take and this took me right over the edge.
First, there is something wrong with me that no one can figure out and now I have a syndrome I have never even heard of!!! I wasn't feeling sorry for myself. I was livid! Who the h-ll do these people think they are? This is my life they are toying with!

If these doctors don't know what they are doing, then it's time for me to figure it out myself. I attempted to read everything I could get my hands on.
I had notes everywhere, books everywhere and thoughts everywhere. I was more frustrated than ever. I isolated myself from the people that meant the most to me. I became very withdrawn. I was angry and hurting and no one really understood. I felt like I had been screaming at the top of the mountain for help, but it must have been in some foreign language that no one else spoke. It was like the dream I had way too often. The dream was of a huge fire. I was in a panic and running feverishly to warn everyone, but when I told them of the danger they insisted it was no big deal. Don't worry about it!

In my research I came across information about ADD/ADHD. Although it was extremely similar to what I was experiencing, it was mostly in young boys. So, I dismissed it. Of course, I was using this huge brain of mine to find out everything I could about fibromyalgia, too. They had all been wrong before and I was going to prove them to be wrong again.

Unfortunately, I proved this one right. The next 2 years of my life were spent dealing with this one. Research, research, research. I was dedicated to finding out all I could. Traditional treatment and alternative treatment. One of the main problems was food sensitivities. I did not know it at the time. And being the person that I am, I was instinctively drawn to the foods that made my pain worse.

At this point, I am extremely physically miserable and mentally I was spent.
The research was making me crazy! I could not retain what I read, but it was important to my life. I could not concentrate on what I read, but I needed it to be well. I became more and more withdrawn. A battle was going on in my head. I had been labeled everything. I had been put in too many boxes now to count. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE GET ME OUT OF MY HEAD!

I had more faith in alternative treatments than I did modern, scientific medicine. I learned more and more about the chemical reactions in our bodies. I became interested in diet and what role it played in my situation. I started to find out more about vitamins, supplements and herbal medicine.
I began to create my own treatment. Even my doctor was amazed.

I started to feel better physically, but mentally I was still a wreck. I was disgusted. I felt betrayed by the physicians that were supposed to be able to help me. I was tired. I had run out of fuel and was finished. I felt the need to pray and couldn't get a prayer out of my head. I felt the need to rest, but was never able to really rest. I gave up on life for good, long while.

One day, I bought a book, Women with Attention Deficit Disorder, more out of curiosity than anything else. BAM! It was like someone actually knew what it was like to be in my head! I will never forget the amazement I felt while reading it. If it had been in a movie, the background music would have been an angelic rendition of "Hallelujah"! There would have been light coming down from the heavens to surround me!

I went to my shrink and said "YOU ARE WRONG! YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WRONG!
YOU HAVE CHEATED ME!" Of course, this didn't make me look any less crazy, but he was receptive of me. It was a long visit in his office that day. We covered all my files from the previous doctors. We covered all the treatments I had been through. I showed him as much of what I had learned on my own that I could keep together in my head. I talked to him about alternative therapies, nutrition, supplements, herbs. I told him fibromyalgia hadn't spoiled me and neither would this. At some point, he realized that I wasn't an idiot and had definitely become very skilled at describing my symptoms. He addressed me in an entirely different way. He told me I was indeed correct. He apologized for the medical profession that I clearly explained had robbed me of years of my life. Then he put me on Dexedrine.

Wow! Talk about focus! I was suddenly able to do so many things that had been so difficult for me. I painted for hours, and hours and hours... I read as if it was food and I had never eaten in my life. The more I became aware of the fact that my symptoms finally had something to do with the real struggles associated with ADD, the more I became aware of my symptoms.

It was if all my symptoms were getting worse and worse just because I knew they weren't just mine. Everything became exaggerated. I was still studying alternative treatments, but nothing seemed to fit just right. Then, the darkest depression of my life began and I was unable to stop it.

I tried every alternative treatment that I could. It was a feeble attempt at keeping myself from hitting the bottom of the pit, but I finally did.

The Dexedrine wasn't quite right for me. It was more a dosage problem than anything. By then, we had moved half way across the country again. New doctors were eagerly awaiting a poor wounded shell of a person to walk through their doors and ask for help. BUT, it would not be me! It was just too much.

I started putting my thoughts together. I began a huge project. I took all the research I had done and started going over it again. I went through my notebooks and my library over and over. Through repetition, I started to retain more and more of the information. As thought after thought began to link to another, I finally realized I could live again. I mean really live!

There was work to be done and I had to do it. Instead of going to a psychiatrist and repeating what I had been through, I went to my family doctor and told him some of my history, had the medical records transferred, (This was a HUGE package!) and asked him for something to alleviate some of my symptoms. Through increased concentration, I was able to continue to put this research together and come up with a way out.

Gosh, I had intended to be brief here! Anyway, that is how I learned about
all of what we have discussed in this post and others. I got on a roll here.
When I do that, it is usually for a reason. I will have faith that understanding this will help you to better see where I am coming from.

The best to you!
Ronni
Old 02-03-05, 02:01 AM

That works... Thanks for that.

So you aren't unfamiliar with Sari Solden either! Great.

When someone can tell their story I can believe there maybe hope in what I learn from them. Thank-you.
Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 02-03-05 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: book title added
Old 02-03-05, 02:18 AM

I will find out about what Sari Solden has to say. Maybe I will pick up her book tomorrow. You can educate me on this one.
Old 02-03-05, 12:06 PM

Didn't she write the book about women and ADHD? I thought you mentioned that book but not the author. Maybe it was some other author.
Ian

Last edited by Ian; 02-03-05 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: missed meaning
Old 02-03-05, 11:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

shinobi has disabled reputation
im at a semi-similar stage to what you described. When i was diagnosed with many of my dissoders i was only a young kind, i was angry, an outcast and being told 4 times in a row that i wasnt "normal" turned me into a monster. Now im older, (18), and capable of copeing with things better. Im sober, happier and more stable. Now im learning more about what i have wrong with me and how and why i have it and what it does to me and how to cope in ever single way. I cant afford books, although i should sign up to the local liberary (the one i use to acess the internet coz its free here, hope they dont find out im not a member, they might slap me on the wrist and force me to join :P ). I want to understand why i am who i am and all the rest of it. Now im finaly able to start thinking deep about who i am again without compleetly falling appart I want to improve meyself and my quality of life. Any recomendations where to start. Ive been looking for lists of symptoms and stuff, i posted a thread in chit-chat about that, if you want to look and see if you can help me there (please do, before it sinks to the second page and im forced to bump post it). If anyone has any suggestions on where to start, places to look, ways of learning and all that idd be very interested. I dont want to hijack this thread (i hope im not) but ruby's post reminded me and if i dont write it now, ill forget to write it or the words just wont come out. Surly the fact that the two of us are looking for similar infomation can only be a bonus for the both of us.

l8ts
Old 02-04-05, 12:15 AM

Some more suggestions

Ruby,
I was just going through my medicine cabinet to find some echinacea for this cold and I came across several more things I took on my last vacation from meds.

This is not a plug. I do not work there, nor will I make any money from the recommendation. I do try to get all my herbs and vitamins at GNC. There products are actually prescription quality and are very closely regulated. They do carry other brands, but if their brand is available I always go for it. You would definitely want to check with your doc to see if any of these would be okay during pregnancy / nursing.

GABA - it definitely helps with clearer thinking. You seem more "turned on".
Calcium with Magnesium - very calming, even helps you sleep better.
Womens Multivitamins with Iron - just to get what you are missing in your diet.
Spirulina - helps to regulate blood sugar.
Multi oil - contains the omegas and then some. Helps me have a slower transition from thought to thought.

I always take the GABA with the Calcium/ magnesium and a meal. It is an acid and causes a nerve sensation throughout the body. It is kind of like the flush you get with niacin, but without the redness.

I know I have more to tell you about, because I have a drawer in the chest in one of our spare bedrooms devoted to vitamins and such. It is just passed my bedtime. More later.