ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-28-11, 01:50 PM

ShelleyA1967 is on a distinguished road
Milk and Adderall

Can drinking a glass of milk with first dose of 30 mg. IR in morning interfere with Adderall absorption? I was also drinking a lot of coffee throughout the day and just read that can interfere with the medications effectiveness. I've been on 60 mg. for years and it's lost a lot of it's effectiveness and my doc won't up the dose, so I'm trying to eliminate foods/drinks that can cause it to be less effective. I know anything with vitamin C can mess things up. Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 08-28-11, 02:45 PM

deannalynne has a spectacular aura aboutdeannalynne has a spectacular aura about
Re: Milk and Adderall

My opinion...I would assume milk would actually help the absorption and effectiveness of Adderall.

From what I have heard, acids decrease while antacids such as Tums help. Tums are calcium, so I imagine milk would work the same way.

I do not know if coffee is acidic or not, but I was under the impression that as coffee is a stimulant, it increased Adderall.
The Following User Says Thank You to deannalynne For This Useful Post:
Alex9 (08-28-11)
Old 08-28-11, 04:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,167 Times in 555 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

Since I have to avoid orange juice in the morning, I resort to milk now. Actually I drink more now because sometimes I don't have much appetite but still need some nutrition. I haven't had any problems with absorption. Only reason to avoid it is if you're lactose intolerant or allergic.
Old 08-28-11, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Milk... does the adderallic good!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 08-28-11, 07:46 PM

Medicatedme will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyA1967 View Post
Can drinking a glass of milk with first dose of 30 mg. IR in morning interfere with Adderall absorption? I was also drinking a lot of coffee throughout the day and just read that can interfere with the medications effectiveness. I've been on 60 mg. for years and it's lost a lot of it's effectiveness and my doc won't up the dose, so I'm trying to eliminate foods/drinks that can cause it to be less effective. I know anything with vitamin C can mess things up. Thanks in advance for your response.
According to the below website milk should be neutral, so it's ok to drink. However coffee is acidic and is not good for absorption of adderall.
http://www.alkaline-alkaline.com/ph_food_chart.html this site may have been in a previous post.

FWIW, I quit coffee and I think the adderall is more effective and lasts longer.

Rx: 20mg Adderall x2, 60mg Cymbalta, 1800mg Trileptal, 100mg Metoprolol, Xanax up to 1mg a day if needed

Once and awhile you can get shone the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Old 09-01-11, 11:33 AM

Thatspazzychick is on a distinguished road

I have actually found that milk interferes with the absorption of the adderall, after some research I've concluded that it happens because milk actually coats the inside of your stomach, making it more difficult for medication to be absorbed. I've also had some problems with taking adderall with milk and getting sick. Not sure if this is specifically because of the milk or not, I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. (I take a 15mg generic amphet salt combo by Barr.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Thatspazzychick For This Useful Post:
starry (02-05-13)
Old 06-02-12, 04:02 PM

Tooraj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatspazzychick View Post
I have actually found that milk interferes with the absorption of the adderall, after some research I've concluded that it happens because milk actually coats the inside of your stomach, making it more difficult for medication to be absorbed. I've also had some problems with taking adderall with milk and getting sick. Not sure if this is specifically because of the milk or not, I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. (I take a 15mg generic amphet salt combo by Barr.)
from wiki
Quote:
but it contains significant amounts of saturated fat, protein and calcium as well as vitamin C. Cow's milk has a pH ranging from 6.4 to 6.8, making it slightly acidic.[1][2
Link

PH between 6.4 to 6.8! That is a disaster for Adderall and Ritalin both!
I wasted a bunch of pills on that
Only a lil amount of acid is enough for me ! The whole day is off from Ritalin!
I think it takes too long for me that body alkalizes the acids in blood
Old 02-05-13, 09:23 AM

Booty Love is on a distinguished road

I wonder how long after drinking milk should i wait to take my adderall
Old 02-05-13, 01:53 PM

Thanked 12,161 Times in 6,144 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyA1967 View Post
Can drinking a glass of milk with first dose of 30 mg. IR in morning interfere with Adderall absorption? I was also drinking a lot of coffee throughout the day and just read that can interfere with the medications effectiveness. I've been on 60 mg. for years and it's lost a lot of it's effectiveness and my doc won't up the dose, so I'm trying to eliminate foods/drinks that can cause it to be less effective.
Coffee doesn't interfere really - but it causes worse side effects. If you are comfortable, not anxious or shaky or getting headaches (or worse things like high blood pressure or heart problems) from combining coffee and Adderall, then you are probably OK to continue.

Acidic drinks, like juice and pop, are the worst. Even "healthy" juice interferes with Adderall. So... no soft drinks & no juice may help a lot.
Old 02-05-13, 02:36 PM

Thanked 12,161 Times in 6,144 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

(If others say coffee does interfere, I'm not going to argue... I wouldn't have noticed lowered effectiveness because for me coffee's side effects were large.)