ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-11, 01:13 PM

kl1246 is on a distinguished road
Talking to self/Hearing voices ADHD??

Ok so Im new to the forum, and was diagnosed with ADHD in 3rd grade, Im now 23. I joined to try to help parents with teenage kids, but figured Id try to help myself as well.

I hear voices and talk to myself in my head. Im dont mean like I hear whispering or voices that say KILL, or START FIRES. I just hear responses to questions/thoughts I have. For instance I was riding my motorcycle and sped up to make a light, ended up running the light and then stopped at the next light couple hundred feet up. (please dont give me advice on driving or how dangerous motorcycles are) When i stopped i thought "Damn, what were you thinking, if someone else had been going the other way youd be toast" and In response I hear (in my head) "Well no one was there so who the **** cares?"....the conversation continued a little bit but not a lot.

Everything i hear in my head is words I have previously said/heard out-loud,, not like an alter ego or anything. And if I think Holy **** Im talking to myself this is crazy, shut the hell up. It stops, or sometimes says "**** you" then stops....

Writing this makes me sound/feel EXTRA crazy, but ive always seen it as how I work through problems and its just developed. Like when you picture a situation you picture other people's reactions or what they would say. Well my mind pictures other people's responses to my every thought.

Does anyone else do this?? I dont see it as being multiple personality disorder, I just see it as a mixture of being able to read people REALLY well, a creative imagination, and the fact Ive always been taught THINK about you talk.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kl1246 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (09-01-11), Bluerose (09-06-11), fletcherface (09-06-11), Komod0Dragon (09-02-11)
Old 08-29-11, 01:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,047 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Talking to self/Hearing voices ADHD??

Technically there is no such thing as Multiple personality disorders but there are such things as personality disorders with dissociative states. Many people with other conditions mimic those of ADHD and a personality disorder whether it be borderline or anti-social can mimic these same symptoms.

Once again, please speak with this to your pdoc. Figuring out what's going on is the most important thing because until then you won't know what to do about it.
Abi (08-29-11), anonymouslyadd (08-31-11)
Old 08-29-11, 01:38 PM

Sweet Peach is on a distinguished road

ME ME ME ME ME... I do think all the time... I don't know if its ADHD, or if its normal... I've heard it called mental chatter... and sometimes I do end up whispering to myself when I'm thinking heard... (my coworker gets so bugged!!)...

I've even tried "meditation" to try to ease the mental chatter and all I get is more mental chatter along the lines of "breathe in, breathe out... try not to think... empty your mind... just thinking about breathing.... well this isn't working now is it"... and its as clear as if I'd said it outloud to myself... I don't know.. but it never stops.... i even mentally chatter myself to sleep...
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweet Peach For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (09-06-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-11, 01:53 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 20,140 Times in 8,197 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Its not ADHD per se. Its not one of the normal symptoms that are associated with it. But having said that there are many conditions and causes that can make you hear voices.
If they become a problem it is wise to have it checked out.

Humans are caterpillars who do not know they can become butterflies.
Old 08-29-11, 01:55 PM
Contributor

holmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of light

Me too! i do this all the time. Everything is in my own voice and i will also catch myself moving my mouth with the conversation that is going on in my head. I also do this with conversations i've recently had with other people or conversations i need to have (even just making a phone call to a utility company). Of course the conversation in my head is never the same as real life but i do it anyway even knowing this!

Glad to know i'm not the only one out there that does this. I always thought it was just me... hehe
Old 08-29-11, 03:06 PM

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,738 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

I think this sounds more like an inner voice, and pretty normal. It can regulate one's behavior and decision making.

My inner voice is pretty useless.... she's either not paying attention or she says things bad enough to make a trucker blush!
“I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.”
-George Carlin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (09-06-11), ADHDTigger (09-01-11)
Old 08-29-11, 03:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,166 Times in 555 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

I have lengthy conversations with imaginary people. But I don't believe they're actually there or anything... I don't even hear them. I imagine what they would say or ask me, in a kind of abstract non-verbal way, and then I answer. (Usually aloud. It's embarrassing when someone catches me...)

Long, loud, lively conversations with people that aren't there. Certainly looks crazy. But, honestly, it's a way of organizing my thoughts. If I think something but don't put it into words, it's not necessarily solid or coherent. Saying it aloud makes it "real" the way writing it down or drawing it would.

You can imagine or visualize all kinds of incredible things... but you might need to test it out in the real world. Look at an M.C. Escher drawing... and then try to imagine it in three dimensions. You can imagine it, but it could never exist.

I'd love to record one of these conversations but I haven't been able to do it. I just clam up.
AshT (09-03-11)
Old 08-29-11, 06:13 PM
Contributor

holmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of light

I have always thought that this is my own little way of dealing with uncomfortable social situations before i truly have to deal with them. And as someone else said a way to just organize my thoughts... They are also great for when i need to concentrate on something mundane, like driving, to keep my brain from getting too distracted from the road. I don't know how to explain it but the conversation in my head helps alot!
Old 08-29-11, 07:53 PM

Thanked 7,498 Times in 3,875 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, that's your conscious. It's ok to have a little helper in your head. I've always had a voice in my head to stop me from doing stupid things and another one that wants to do stupid things.
I talk to myself too. With so many thoughts going through my head it helps to say one out loud to silence the rest. Also, I don't mind being a little bit weird.

I actually do hear voices because of some majorly screwed up temporal lobes that also make me see things that aren't there.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (09-06-11)
Old 08-30-11, 02:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to all

I dont think hearing voices as such is ADHD but I do know people with ADHD will think out loud which comes across as talking to themselves.
Old 08-30-11, 07:08 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud of

Sounds normal, I always call it my internal monologue or when I quiet my mind enough to where all the mental chatter goes away I call it my inner voice.

I don't think you sound crazy at all, read about zen meditation it may help you. I think everyone has these internal conversations, if you start having them out lout that's a different story... (unless you're wearing a bluetooth... but even then I'm suspicious.. especially when someone is really loud and obnoxious in a quiet public place talking on their bluetooth and looking like a psycho! (damn, sorry about the run on sentence, bordering on manic marathon sentence!)

I had an aunt who was schizophrenic and she really "heard voices", it was very obvious that something was wrong with her and she was the last to know. Other people in my family had to get her to a doctor and eventually a psych ward for a few months. I don't think you are crazy.

Or at least any crazier than any of us. Maybe we should have a contest... who's the craziest person on this forum! I'd be suspicious of the person who wanted to win that one..... I'm suspicious of myself for even thinking of it....

See, you're not crazy at all, re reading my post I can tell I'm feeling a little crazy right now myself, manic actually would probably be more accurate, you sound sane in comparison!
“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,...someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself!”
-Mitch Hedberg

“My nephew has HDADHD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's unbelievably clear.”
-Steven Wright

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-Oscar Wilde
Old 08-30-11, 07:40 AM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold

What you are describing is my internal monologue. I am always talking to myself in my head and answering myself as well. But I know for sure that it's me saying those things and not someone else.

I will berate myself for making a stupid mistake or congratulate myself when I do something good. Seems to happen quite often in adders
Old 08-30-11, 08:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,016 Times in 463 Posts
Etcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud of

As a kid, I actually had a name for this "second" voice in my head. Both of "the voices" are me, but in my head, one of them will be defined as me (which most of the time is the one asking questions,...) whereas the "other" is also seen as "not me" and will be the one responding or commenting.

As far as I know, it's nothing really to worry about and has little to do with ADHD. But I do feel that, since I do have ADHD, I do it more than I would've without the ADHD. Coping mechanisms, racing thoughts,...
However - I do feel as if these "inner conversations" have gotten less ever since I started to take medication. Whatever. It wasn't that worriesome anyway. "She" was nice... and funny! (Hehe)
Old 08-30-11, 10:13 AM
Contributor

alongroad has a spectacular aura aboutalongroad has a spectacular aura about

I talk to myself a hell of a lot.

I only have a problem, say if I am driving with people, I am talking to myself, then they talk to me... I can't seem to do more than 2 things at once. So my attention to driving actually slips slightly. Now that I am aware of it, I try not to listen to everyone. Just listen when PROMPTED to because I need to.

Now that I think about it, my whole life I have been like that. In my head (talking) while driving and igorning passengers unless requested to focus. lol

Anyways, I do talk to myself, tho I do not hear any voices. And at times I do THINK OUT LOUD, which buggers up people. They think I am talking to them, but I am talking to myself grasp whatever is infront of me to think of (example, IT Support call at work!).
Old 08-30-11, 04:56 PM

Thanked 4,180 Times in 2,761 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

i talk myself if i really need to vent about something if it's bothering me whether it's something little or something big.

or when i need to remember things i say them to myself so i can remember, and in math if im doing homework i say things out loud since it helps

-Hunter S. Thompson