ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-11, 04:48 PM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute
Ashamed to ask, but important to me

I am really sorry to ask this, but lately I'm kind of needing the support of positive thoughts. I'm swallowing my pride and just going to ask it - I've been on this forum for over a year and tried to help people with all I got to give. Maybe I'm over reacting or maybe my thoughts are running wild as hell right now... but my reputation is the only one of millions on this forum, left unchanged ever since my first posts in 2010. Please, it's really important for me to know. I've done what I can, is it me or do most not appreciate me ? I just thought this would be the one place where I would be really... at least be accepted. It's my safe haven, place of understanding and really love you guys.

I needed a vent, I've had better times. Sorry.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Gilthranon For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (08-31-11), ADDisme2010 (09-01-11), anonymouslyadd (09-01-11), buddy (08-31-11), Crazygirl79 (09-02-11), danelady (08-31-11), Downix (09-03-11), eggyolkes (09-02-11), gerwin (09-01-11), ginniebean (08-31-11), grape_ninja (09-01-11), Jake the Dog (12-09-12), Pamplemousse (09-03-11), RedHairedWitch (09-01-11), salleh (09-02-11)
Old 08-31-11, 04:55 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,521 Times in 8,787 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: Ashamed to ask, but important to me

I think everyone appreciates any advice and help given to them. Try not to be so hard on yourself.

You're surrounded by folks like me who don't remember where they left their keys, much less remember to add rep for someone. I'm more of a "thank you" type of person.

But I understand your train of thought. When you don't feel appreciated, be it online or otherwise, it hurts. We appreciate you being here and sharing your knowledge and experiences!!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-01-11), buddy (08-31-11), Crazygirl79 (09-02-11), danelady (08-31-11), Dizfriz (09-01-11), Gilthranon (09-01-11), LynneC (08-31-11), RedHairedWitch (09-01-11), salleh (09-02-11)
Old 08-31-11, 05:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,641 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure19Ambition View Post
I am really sorry to ask this, but lately I'm kind of needing the support of positive thoughts. I'm swallowing my pride and just going to ask it - I've been on this forum for over a year and tried to help people with all I got to give. Maybe I'm over reacting or maybe my thoughts are running wild as hell right now... but my reputation is the only one of millions on this forum, left unchanged ever since my first posts in 2010. Please, it's really important for me to know. I've done what I can, is it me or do most not appreciate me ? I just thought this would be the one place where I would be really... at least be accepted. It's my safe haven, place of understanding and really love you guys.

(((hugs)))

Very likely it isn't you. It's people not knowing how the rep point system works or how or why to use it. Or not using the "Thanks" because it is unfamiliar.

(((hugs)))

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (09-01-11), anonymouslyadd (09-01-11), Crazygirl79 (09-02-11), Dizfriz (09-01-11), eggyolkes (09-02-11), Gilthranon (09-01-11), grape_ninja (09-01-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-11, 06:03 PM

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,053 Posts
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ has disabled reputation

Hum... first thoughts I have are:
1) what is your rep compared to others with a similar number of posts.
2) how consistently active are you (a few posts here and there or blocks of posting).
3) how are posts that seem well liked differing from your own (sometimes similar ideas are conveyed but some are certainly clearer and readily apprehended by a greater number of people.
4) how much rep do you spread?
5) where do you spend most of your time posting and on what kinds of threads?

And....last but NOT least....

6) why is reputation really important? what is the functionality of rep within the forum? (I see rep as something for everyone else, but the holder of rep.)
"In a twist my mind became free and I was aware of the hard workings of the natural world beyond the periphery of ordinary attention, where passions lose their meaning and history is in another dimension, without people, and great events pass without record or judgement" (Biophilia).

I change shapes just to hide in this place but I'm still I'm still an animal

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ = biophilia (w/ liberties taken)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ For This Useful Post:
adhdme (09-01-11), Crazygirl79 (09-02-11), Dizfriz (09-01-11), Gilthranon (09-01-11), ginniebean (09-01-11), meadd823 (09-01-11)
Old 08-31-11, 06:59 PM

Thanked 23,649 Times in 10,933 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I sent you a private message.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Gilthranon (09-01-11), ginniebean (09-01-11)
Old 09-01-11, 02:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to all

Quote:

Honey, Ive felt like that on forums for years. I feel more accepted on this forum more so than I ever have.
I have been on many others I dont know if its just because majority of them are NTs but I ad always felt like you do and it felt like people were just ignoring me. I have social anxiety and find it hard to feel accepted by people and liked so I know what you are going through sweets.

I always worried whether my posts are worthy enough to others or if they like me etc. But I just want to say please dont feel this way here honey because I am sure you are accepted here more than you think. I understand that you have sad days like this and its probably what it is one of those days, I have random days where I feel unloved and just seeking for some acceptance and love and if its one of those days for you then here is some love from me. I think your awesome and want you to post on here and keep offering support even better post what is on your mind and we will be happy to help.

(((hug))) hope you feel better soon
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PinkRoxy For This Useful Post:
BR549 (10-12-11), Dizfriz (09-01-11), eggyolkes (09-02-11), Gilthranon (09-03-11), ginniebean (09-01-11), misschaos89 (09-01-11), Unmanagable (09-01-11), whatsthebuzz (09-19-11)
Old 09-01-11, 02:38 AM

adhdme will become famous soon enough

I feel the same way, when you see people with 10,000 post and 4,000 likes you know who the popular ones are, but it's not because they are popular and brag about it, its because they have been here for a long time and help people out. If you want to be a asset to a forum you must try and do your best by helping people with problems they go through and do your best by posting good material and your non bias opinion.

I believe people appreciate you, you need to give your self more credit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhdme For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-01-11), Gilthranon (09-03-11)
Old 09-01-11, 02:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to all

I only recently discovered the thanks button.
I think Ive got a quite a few thanks, I'm surprised with my shabby and scattered posts lol but I try not to dwell on the fact that I dont have as many as others.
Ive never been popular and I dont think I ever will be.
Dont worry too much about it honey, I think the ones with the more thanks are usually the more experienced ones and most likely been here longer too.
Popularity isnt always what its made out to be.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PinkRoxy For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (09-02-11), Dizfriz (09-01-11), ginniebean (09-01-11), Unmanagable (09-01-11)
Old 09-01-11, 02:46 AM

adhdme will become famous soon enough

Pinkroxy is right, Popularity is not always what is made out to be. As my pshycologist would say, Close your eyes, take a deep breath with your nose and slowly breath out. Don't let these thoughts beat you. Your strong and we need you to stay strong to help our fellow adhd brothers and sisters and also for our whole community.

I seen this in someones signature, forgive me I missed your name, PM ME i`ll give you credit! Thanks!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to adhdme For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (09-02-11), Dizfriz (09-01-11), Gilthranon (09-03-11), ginniebean (09-01-11), PinkRoxy (09-01-11), Unmanagable (09-01-11)
Old 09-01-11, 06:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Mr. Gerbz has a spectacular aura aboutMr. Gerbz has a spectacular aura about

'Reputation'? What is this... 'Reputation' thing? Can you eat it?

Your real reputation on these forums is far more important than some silly forum feature

EDIT: What is important however, is that people stole my 2 arcade game titles!

-Batman

"And I simply just say... You of all people should know, there's plenty wrong with me!"

-The Joker
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Gerbz For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (09-02-11), Dizfriz (09-01-11), Gilthranon (09-03-11), ginniebean (09-01-11), Impetus (09-02-11), salleh (09-02-11)
Old 09-01-11, 06:59 AM
Forum ADDvocate

gerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nice

people tend to forget to thank you
It happens all the time.
It's not that they don't want to... but they forget (Esp. here on this forum)

Don't be hard on yourself, if you do the best you can... nobody can tell you to do more
Raoul Duke: One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)

I say no to drugs, but they donít listen.
G.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gerwin For This Useful Post:
BR549 (10-12-11), Dizfriz (09-01-11), Gilthranon (09-03-11), ginniebean (09-01-11), Unmanagable (09-01-11)
Old 09-01-11, 08:25 AM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Be kind, be supportive, be helpful; the rest will take care of itself.

Dizfriz
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
BR549 (10-12-11), eggyolkes (09-02-11), Gilthranon (09-03-11), ginniebean (09-01-11), salleh (09-02-11), TygerSan (09-01-11), Unmanagable (09-01-11)
Old 09-01-11, 08:37 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,343 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This is one of those things I struggle with because I am not sure if you are genuinely asking a question, if you are just venting a feeling or are if you just wanting some rep points - maybe it is e- none of the above.

I suck at emotional support, I tend to be practical so please bare this in mind when you read my response. My lack of emotional appeal is a reflection of me.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ made some good points

Activity patterns - Those members who are here on a regular basis are more readily recognized by other members thus what they say gets noticed because the other members have had more interaction and therefore have gained a history with them. With that being said this "history" can swing both ways.

People who are genuine and try to help in a supportive manner are more likely to get good rep points how ever those who tend to be jerks being a regular member can mean others are more likely to give negative rep points and this negative pattern can have a snow ball effect.

Meaning those who start out bad can have a hard time turning it around because other members begin taking every thing they post in a negative manner even when it is not intended that way. Being seen as mean never brings out the best in groups of people, being ADHDers does not make us any different in that respect.

Where you are active - Do you have a section home. Do you post in a section on a regular basis? Those to tend to hang out in one of the larger section in the main forum get to know other member who also hang in the same area - Again recognition brings about appreciation.

This is less true for those who make their home chit-chat There are members here who are not recognized outside of our chit chat area.

I have seen people post in general whom I did not know even though they have 200+ post, been here for a year. When I look at their posting history I find out that they rarely if ever post outside of the chit chat area. I rarely go in that section which explains my unfamiliarity.

This is not to say those in chit-chat do not give rep points but the jovial nature of the area generally means rep and thanks are less thought about because most folks go there to play around so what is posting there are not taken as seriously as those in the support sections.

Those posting in general, relationships, medications ect are seeking some forum of support and when they receive it they are more likely to show appreciation by using the rep system or the thanks feature for no other reason than they are in a more serious mode.

A few folks hang out in less busy areas of the forum and may not receive as much recognition simply because there are fewer people and less traffic - This in no way makes a posting any less valuable. Post in "learning disorders" do not get seen by as many people as post in General ADHD. More traffic means more chances to be recognized and appreciated - law of probability.

Last of all quality - How other members are treated, a given perhaps but worth mentioning. Some times ADHDers respond impulsively, or respond tongue in cheek (I think is what it is called) manner to a serious post. Some times the off the cuff remark goes unappreciated by some one who is upset and looking for serious support or help

Effort - I do give positive rep points to post that have a few sentences if the post is exceptional but I am more likely to recognize and show my appreciation to some one who has taken the time and made the effort to type out a decent post with some detail or personal reference.

One or two liner have to be damn good or I have to know the member has a LD that makes posting more than that impossible for me to rep a one or two liner but that is a personal preference. I am sure there are those who don;t read much less give rep points to post over four or five lines.

For those of us who have been around awhile and have gained several points I know for myself I receive bad rep as well as good rep At one time I did post a lot in here - and well not every one likes me or my posting - I have points because those who like me either out number those who hate me or those who like me are able to give out more points each time It a theory , accuracy is another matter

Some people feel awkward about their rep status - Those who have back boxes instead of green or red boxes have r chosen to have rep points hidden from view. This does not necessarily mean they have negative rep.

A black box simply means for one reason or another the member chose not to display it - Some folks focus to much on it and are afraid to post for fear of having a negative rep so they chose to turn it off even if they have very decent rep points. Some moderators will chose to hide their rep points as a form of demonstrating neutrality or to denture members from trying to use it as a means of retaliation.

For any who are interested in hiding your rep points - go to "User CP", located upper left. Left Navigation under "Setting and Options" fourth choice ""edit options" , a page will pull up. "Show your rep level" is the second choice, uncheck the box next to show your rep level, scroll to the bottom of the page click "save changes" Wala other members will no longer be able to see your points.

You will still be able to get rep points it just that other member won't be able to see any thing but a black box.

Hope this helps . . . .

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (09-04-11), Crazygirl79 (09-02-11), Dizfriz (09-01-11), Gilthranon (09-03-11), salleh (09-02-11), TygerSan (09-01-11)
Old 09-01-11, 08:38 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 12,907 Times in 5,217 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

It's crazy . . . when I first got here, I barely noticed the little green dots by my name. Now that I have a few, I find myself county my candy and wanting more. . .

But seriously, the "thanks" button and the rep system kind of overlap and fight with each other. And as much as I *want* the recognition, I'm ashamed to admit that the number of reps I've handed out I can count on one hand
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (09-04-11), Dizfriz (09-01-11), Gilthranon (09-03-11), ginniebean (09-01-11), meadd823 (09-01-11)
Old 09-01-11, 08:39 AM
Contributor

johnny_walker has a spectacular aura aboutjohnny_walker has a spectacular aura about

And since your here Pure19Ambition , Johnny is sure you have pure ambition to be successful in your life. As a question will always get an answer, no matter how random the question or thought may be.

So keep walking

Johnny Walker.
Gilthranon (09-03-11), Unmanagable (09-01-11)