ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 09-05-11, 06:11 PM

adtek is on a distinguished road
Switching from Adderall XR to Concerta (x-post from Adderall forum)

Hey everyone. I am switching from Adderall XR to Concerta and have some questions for people who may have done the same.

Some brief background:
I initially was prescribed Adderall IR for ADD. 10mg in the morning and 10mg later in the day. Seemed to work well but after a while didnt last too long. Was upped to 15mg twice a day. Same thing. Then to 15 mg three times a day. I got tired of keeping track of the times I took it do asked to be switched to the XR. Took 30mg XR in the morning and a 10mg IR booster later in the day. After a while the IR started to make me feel like crap. Would hit hard right away and then I would crash after a short while so switched to just the XR.

Now when I take the XR it works great but doesn't last the length I need it to with work and school. Doctor told me to try 30mg in the morning and another later on. This works but I dont want to just keep upping the dose if my body will just get used to it.

/end background

I told the doctor that I wanted to try something else. Went with Concerta 36mg as after doing some reading it should have similar effects to the Adderall and last longer (even if it isnt the 10-12 hours they claim).

Took it for the first time the other day and could feel it working somewhat. Was pretty tired and a little out of it but I knew that this could happen when switching to a new medication. After a few days I am still feeling the same but without the added concentration help. Slept for 12 hours last night and was still dead tired when I woke up.

I was wondering if anybody has had any similar experiences with making the switch and if I should just wait it out until my body gets used to the new meds. Or if I should be weaning myself off of the Adderall first before trying anything new?
Old 09-05-11, 06:50 PM

Efface is on a distinguished road
Re: Switching from Adderall XR to Concerta (x-post from Adderall forum)

I just got switched feom adderall 30mg to concerta because i was metabolizing it too quick. Honestly i expected my doc to add a IR supplement to get me through the rest of the day.

I just registered here because i am having the same issue as you. I'm 5'10" and 200lbs and the 36mg concerta did zilch for me and my concentration went out the window. Tried 2 36mg and i get a sedative like reaponse but no concentration. Its like im sedated but not tired. I tried 3 36mg pills and it made me sweat, same sedation symptom and no improvement on focus/concentration.

I read somewhere that like 1/3rd of pwople reapond favorable to either drug, 1/3 to adderall and the other 1/3 to ritalin.

Personally im thinking so far ritalin is not going to work for me.
Old 09-05-11, 08:11 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

fletcherface is just really nicefletcherface is just really nicefletcherface is just really nicefletcherface is just really nice

I have also made the switch from Adderall to Concerta. I was having problems with the Adderall making me extremely manic to the point my moods were so far up and down that I couldn't take it anymore. My pdoc decided that it was time to get my mood straightened out and took me off the Adderall cold turkey. I was pretty devastated at first, of course due to withdrawals, but after a couple of weeks, I was fine. She had/has me on Lamictal for my Bipolar, and Abilify to help with the depression Lamictal seems to cause.

After getting my mood stabilized, and the fact school was getting close, she decided to put me on Concerta. I've never been on any form of Methylphenidate before, so I didn't know how I'd react to it. She started me on 18mg, and bumped it to 36mg after a week. I'm still on 36mg, and I do notice a slight difference. I can actually read a chapter in my psychology book and not be bored by the first paragraph. My problem is getting focused on the wrong thing, like my online RPG I'm addicted to or currently because of problems with our router, checking every website I frequent (Facebook, the weather, my Etsy, knowyourmeme.com, etc)... I still don't feel like I have the motivation Adderall seemed to give me, but maybe that was a facade from mania that made me feel like I could conquer the world. And clean ALL the things!

Now I'm more...meh, I have stuff to do, but I'll get around to it in a minute. Hours pass, and I'm still sitting here on my computer. Luckily, I am going to school right now, so I get out more, and I'm not stuck to my computer 24/7 as I have been for the past year. So things are progressing.

I do have problems with feeling sleepy when I wake up. I've been blaming it on the fact I'm pretty addicted to caffeine, so I have to have it in some way when I wake up, or I just don't function at all. I definitely suggest Awake Tea by Tazo. It doesn't give you the jitters like coffee does, but it definitely helps with the grogginess when you wake up.

My last appointment was a couple days ago, and she decided to up the Concerta to 54mg, but because I ran out of my Lamictal (and missed a couple days...) and the Abilify cost too much for me, my mood was kinda out of whack that day, so I have to wait a week or two to up it...And most likely have to wait for money to afford the Concerta...

I don't see a problem making the switch straight up. I'd definitely give it a few weeks before making a decision whether it's really helping or not though.

Anyway, sorry I rambled a bit. Just nice to see another person with the same switch as myself.
Old 09-06-11, 11:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

food for thought...

I seem to notice alot of people who take ritalin based meds for adhd seem to get stuck in thought and waste time and get stuck inbetween tasks like you mentioned . Additionally, I notice the opposite in those who take adderall. Folks on adderall seem to get stuff done and not complain about being stuck. Interesting isn't it.
Old 09-06-11, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

fletcherface is just really nicefletcherface is just really nicefletcherface is just really nicefletcherface is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
food for thought...

I seem to notice alot of people who take ritalin based meds for adhd seem to get stuck in thought and waste time and get stuck inbetween tasks like you mentioned . Additionally, I notice the opposite in those who take adderall. Folks on adderall seem to get stuff done and not complain about being stuck. Interesting isn't it.
Unfortunately, for me, mania is not a good thing, even if I'm being productive. I believe that it really depends on the person. Adderall definitely is a wonderful drug, but it's definitely not for everyone.