ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 09-08-11, 10:06 AM

AdverageJoe is on a distinguished road
Adderall & Strattera..

Hey, I'm 28, male, 173lbs, overall pretty fit, and ADHD PI. I have been on Adderall XR 20 mg for more than 6 months now. The past 2 months I have been taking an extra 10 mg of Adderall XR in the afternoon as a booster, with varying degrees of success.

A few days ago I had an appointment with my GP, where I talked about switching meds to see if I could find something that worked better. I wanted to have a serious conversation about vyvanse because its in the Adderall family with longer lasting, and smoother effects, and about Strattera.

Because I brought up Strattera my GP jumped and the chance to switch me (she was maybe a little too excited. She has always seemed a little nerves prescribing adderall). A number of years ago I tried Strattera for a while and I just couldn't stomach feeling sick on a regular basis.

Now to the point: My GP wants me to continue taking my Adderall XR 20 mg, (discontinue taking the 10 mg booster), and take Strattera 40mg for 3 days with the 4th day onward taking 2 Strattera 40mg (equaling 80mg, along with my Adderall XR 20mg) Does this seem crazy? or a bad idea?

I have read that Strattera has to "build up" in your system, and that many people take it in the evening... does it's main effect come from just being built up in your system or does it come while the pill is actively being "absorbed" into your system?

I am now on day 3 and getting ready to take my Adderall XR 20mg and I am looking for some advice.
Old 09-13-11, 12:01 AM

lesska22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall & Strattera..

Gee, wish I could help but I have no clue... good luck, hopefully you'll find some answers!
Old 09-13-11, 01:27 AM

AdverageJoe is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall & Strattera..

Thanks. So far it has worked out OK doing it the way the doctor has suggested. Although, the 20mg Adderall feels like its to high now that the Strattera is in my system.

The worst of the side effects went away after the first week of Strattera. I have noticed a very welcome improvement in my speech and being about to focus. I have had bouts of being very prone to staring and spacing out though (which I have not been like that since I was 12, at least not the staring part.) Seems to be diminishing though.

I am still on the fence about taking the strattera at night though. I sleep pretty well that way, but I can't help wondering if it would be better to take it in the morning if I am not feeling nauseous any longer.
Sponsored Links