ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-04, 05:48 PM

Neppy is on a distinguished road
Cool Motivation and ADD...

I have always had a severe problem with motivation, or the sheer lack of it. With the start of something new, whether it be a story/poem/picture or even a school project, I'll feel ultra-enthusiastic, and I'll drop absolutely everything else I'm doing to get started on it. This is often where my drawings come from, and I'm always drawing in the most inappropriate places (during exams, etc).
But alot of the time it dies quickly. I have dozens of half-written stories, half-finished drawings and about 20 half-read books. It's messy.
I often don't go to school. It's not laziness, because I'm quite an energetic person, always running around and I enjoy work purely because it's physical work and not mental. But I'll just not have any enthusiasm/motivation or initiative to get to school. The atmosphere of the place has a HUGE impact on me and it'll... this'll sound weird, but it'll suck all the energy and happiness out of me.
Sounds melodramatic, but that's always the way I feel when I'm there, despite being with my friends who I enjoy spending time with.

Sometimes I feel I'm simply being lazy, and as someone said to me today, you often have to walk through the crap to get to the roses, but it's only school where I feel this way. I want to know if anybody here experiences this in any way, as I'm currently in the process of being screened for ADD and want to know how much it could be affecting my life if I do have it.

Doubtlessly this may have been brought up in the past and I do apologize for bringing it up again if so, but any answers would be HIGHLY appreciated - thanks.
Old 09-17-04, 05:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
I experience it all the time with house work...and there are plenty of short stories I write that I never finish or studying a book 4 certification exam...etc I am enthused like you....but either something happens where I have to stop working on it....or something else peeks my intrest nd I dont think about the story or studying and am focused on something else...I have it in back of my mind..but.ACK it hard to get back on the ball when U have bounced off of it...and not to mention... writers block.
I think when the idea comes to me..I may start working on it again..If I have the...You know what

When It comes getting motivated...I think about how having it done will in the end be more benificial to others and to myself and know once it's finally done...it's one less bucket of water to carry on my shoulders...

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-17-04, 06:07 PM

Neppy is on a distinguished road
Yeah. But I'm getting kinda scared because I have an essay and a media project due at the end of next week and I haven't even started the media thing...

Time to start the working-my-***-off-under-pressure thing.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-04, 06:32 PM

Draga has disabled reputation
Ahhh under pressure is a motivatar but be careful not to rush it and make a boo boo then u could be in DooDoo

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-17-04, 07:15 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Yeah I definitely get this!

Did you see this thread:
Re: overcoming procrastination thru reward?
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10796

And many other similar discussions. I think this is what you are talking about. Interesting you observed that it's not lack of motivation but inconsistent motivation. They say the same about attention; not missing but irregular.
Old 09-17-04, 08:58 PM

crime_scene has disabled reputation
I don't think you're lazy at all. My add friend is super busy and works very hard, but does get distracted and disorganized which slows him down.

A lot of students, when I went to Uni, and including me, didn't start assignments till quite close to deadline, but it can get pretty hairy. If you are not add, you might look at project management as a process to help...breaking bigger tasks into smaller tasks and then working with a schedule.

If you are add, I understand that some students have been able to get accommodations from the university to allow them to work at a pace more suitable to their capabilities and etc. etc. I don't know what this is like in UK, but I'm sure it's worth a try if you are so diagnosed.

Good luck on that assignment. Try to ask for an extension early enough not to insult the prof (tip!) cos I'm thinking the media assignment should be taking you some time to complete, right?
Old 09-18-04, 01:54 AM

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
I can really relate. I'm also very artistic and have projects, half-finished projects, materials to start projects all over the house. You can't look in any cupboard without finding something from me for a "great" idea that I swear I'll get to "some day".

Quote:
I'll feel ultra-enthusiastic, and I'll drop absolutely everything else I'm doing
I know this feeling and the sense that it "dies quickly". I don't think it "dies", though. For me its a problem of focus. It's not laziness...I'm constantly doing something. It's not even lack of motivation. It's that my focus changes and the motivation goes with.

The sense of losing all motivation comes when I have too many things to focus on and end up paralized. Brain spinning, focuses changing so quickly that it's impossible for me to move. At that point, I make a list and force myself to do one thing at a time. Eventually, I get myself under control again. My medications have helped enormously in this situation. The brain spinning stops and I move with concentration through my projects. I'm also able to have multiple projects running without freezing up.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Beating ourselves up isn't the answer. I think it's great that you're checking into your situation. One can't change until one can look realisticly at oneself. Accepting that there is a problem is the first step. Trying out different solutions come next. Keep an open mind and good luck.

Kim