ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-04, 08:35 PM

carlsob is on a distinguished road
meds aren't cutting it. Carl in Phoenix

Hi all,

i just found this forum after looking for ADD resources on the web...looks like ya'all have a nice community here.

so here's my story -- i'm 35 years old now, married with a 15 month old son. i went to grad school, and work as a professional consultant. even though i never really had trouble in school as a kid (either academically or behaviorally), i've had major problems with disorganization, procrastination, focus and attention span for at least fifteen years. this is becoming a real problem in my career, so i need to do something...

i was officially diagnosed with ADD by a psychiatrist about two months ago. i started taking strattera in various doses for about a month, without luck. switched to adderall for another month, and it just made me jittery. this week i switched to ritalin, so we'll see how that goes -- seems like the jitters aren't as severe so far, although results in three days aren't encouraging (and here i am now surfing the web when i should be working). so i'm not putting much faith in the meds. if anything, they've made things worse. maybe my expectations are too high, but it seems like the results should be more dramatic. or maybe i've been misdiagnosed and belong on someone else's forum (although i don't think so). i'm told that i'm running out of options medically, and i'm wondering if i'm just going to have to live with this.

anyway, i look forward to interacting with ya'all. and if anyone has any thoughts on my current situation, i'd sure appreciate if you'd share them with me, or point me to the proper place for more info.

many thanks,
>Carl
Old 09-17-04, 08:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

sLiPpY is on a distinguished road
Did your professional indicate a subtype? As mine is Inattentive ADD, which didn't interfere with my academic success...excepting waiting til the last minute for study and projects.

I've chosen to use supplements, a healthy diet, and exercise to support my own pursuits vs. medication. I'm sure many of us would be glad to share what we've learned.

It took me years to figure out a plan that would work for me. I've talked with many who have tried several different medications, and adjusted the dosages. Sometimes, it just takes a while to come up with a workable strategy.
Old 09-17-04, 09:35 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,074 Times in 579 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the ADD Forums!

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-04, 10:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
Welcome Carl!
Old 09-18-04, 12:02 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Well I'm in the same situation so I'll be curious how things go & let you know if I find anything. Welcome & hope to see more...
Old 09-18-04, 05:11 AM

clawless has disabled reputation
Hello and welcome to the forum Carl

The best inheritance a person can give to his children is a few minutes of his time each day -- O. A. Battista
Old 09-18-04, 02:11 PM

carlsob is on a distinguished road
I'm in Phoenix, by the way...

didn't get a formal subtype diagnosis from my shrink, but from what i've seen online i'm sure it's inattentive. my procrastination even as a kid was legendary -- i was famous for pulling all nighters when big project were due, something i still do today (much to my wife's chagrin).

thanks for the kind thoughts, see you in the forums...

>Carl
Old 09-19-04, 04:06 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Welcome to ADD Forums!
Old 09-20-04, 02:17 PM

biker is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forums Carl!!