ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-04, 03:45 AM

Authentic Bipod is on a distinguished road
Question Just Stuff & Dumb Questions

Hi
On Wednesday I go back and see the Doc for the first time in 3 years. I was told I had ADD about 3 years ago. I use drugs dex 60mgs a day and Wellbutrin 300mgs a day.

First - My doc said to me that I was not responsible for the things I did before knowing about ADD. She said that with my wife present. That's the only thing my wife has picked up on in 3 years. I have better things to whine about. Would you know what that means and why anyone would say that to someone

Second - How can I get the wife to learn about ADD?

Third - My doc says to me, 3 years later that I'm on the wrong meds that they counteract each other.

Any ideas?
Old 09-19-04, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

Vero is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. Did he mean that you are responsible for the things you do now that you know about ADD? Sounds like your doctor may not be the best to treat you. Why not ask her how many patients she treats for ADD - i.e. what percentage of her practice. That can give you some indication of her experience with the disorder. Maybe you need to switch. I think you can find a listing if you search for "doctor+search". Look around online - there are sites that list doctors by speciality and location. And always ask what experience they have treating adults with ADD.

As for your wife, I recommend getting her some books to read like Driven to Distraction. There's also a good website: www.brainplace.com. There's TONS of neat info here. The first link under "Brain Systems" I found particularly interesting. It's a lot of reading but if goes into detail about the different parts of the brain, what they control and how they are affected by ADD. Some people just don't understand the biology of the condition. Once your wife understands that you are literally at the mercy of your ADD brain, she might get it.

And if she does can you send her by my parent's house??? (Ha-ha!)

Last edited by Vero; 09-19-04 at 11:42 AM..
Old 09-20-04, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the link. My doctor only makes me more confused and headachy and I'd rather be doing something else anyway. Apparently she has treated adults for over 10 years, she's add herself - that may be an important point Have you ever heard of "Conners' Continous Performance Test" - if so, do you think it's accurate?

It's weird I didn't know I had add until I was older, (ok 52), and now that I know that I am ADD I still don't know anything. I've heard that lots of ADD people have talents or whatever. Where do you go to get one?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-04, 04:41 PM
Contributor

Stranger is on a distinguished road
When you find out, please tell me. So far my only talents are procrastination and forgetting things until the exact moment when it becomes too late, and it's hard to make a living doing that.
Old 09-21-04, 02:36 PM

IMHO those are qualities that perhaps only a select few have the privilege of sharing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Authentic Bipod For This Useful Post:
Mockturtle (10-18-17)
Old 09-25-04, 02:46 AM

That was a joke, is there anybody out there