ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 09-19-04, 10:27 PM

hummous is on a distinguished road
Question Meds for behavioral issues in an ADHD child?

I have a 9 year old w/ADHD who does well academically but his behavior is always a problem in school. His evaluation did not come up with any Learning disbilities, only ADHD. Despite the ADHD he reads really well (above grade level) and does well in all subjects except for a poor handwriting and being slow at writing. What are people's thoughts on meds only to control behavior?

KH
Old 09-20-04, 08:01 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,943 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Probably a good idea to preserve the self esteem for later in life. With medication, diet modification and behaviour training, you should have a more managable and therefore a happier child who should be able to do something with his academic abilities instead of being hung up on his social failures like the rest of us.

Last edited by tudorose; 09-20-04 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: missed word
Old 09-26-04, 01:07 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
What sort of behavioural problems does he have? Is he on any ADHD meds at the present time? Medication improves focus and impulse control and problems with both of those issues will often cause behavioural problems (bored and not able to stop himself from making jokes, causing problems...). He may not have academic problems, even if he does have trouble focusing, because often ADHD comes in concert with a high IQ and he may be able to adapt (this is what happened with me). The poor handwriting and slowness at writing could be an indication of a learning disability called "disgraphia" - I have this condition and it wasn't identified til highschool - it's characterized by poor handwriting, difficulty in getting thoughts down on paper (shows more knowledge verbally than in writing), poor spelling, missed or skipped words in a sentence (with me it's as if my hand can't keep up with my brain, and words get missed and my hand falls behind).
Sponsored Links