ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 03-20-11, 08:09 PM

AndreStefan is on a distinguished road
Arrow Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine shortages 2010 through 2012

I live in Connecticut usa and yesterday I discovered there is an acute shortage of dextroamphetamine. It is on BACK ORDER. My pharmacy called all the pharmacies in a 10 mile radius and found ONE that had it, but they didn't have the full amount that I needed. I think this is serious. I hear that BARR Pharmacuticals is the only company that makes it, and that company was bought out by, Teva...that's not right, something like that....... YES we have a shortage......

Last edited by BR549; 11-28-11 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: shortage thread merge
Old 03-20-11, 08:14 PM

AndreStefan is on a distinguished road
Re: Dexedrine shortage/backorder in Canada

I live in connecticut usa. yesterday I discovered that there is a severe shortage and BACK ORDER of dextroamphetamine. Barr Pharm was the sole distributor, but that company was bought by Teve..that's not right...something like that. I can't find anything about the drug on their site. My pharmacy called pharmacies within a 10 mile radius and finally found only ONE that had the drug, and they didn't have the full amount. There has been nothing on the news about this and tomorrow I plan to contact my senator. This is a crime. Glad I found this site.
Old 03-23-11, 01:00 AM
Jr Member

maxygolf is on a distinguished road
Re: Dexedrine shortage/backorder in Canada

My pharmacist in South Carolina has been telling me that there is some restriction on the amount of chemical the manufacturer gets within one year and they have to declare their entire projected need for the year. If they run out they have to wait until the end of the year.
She said the year's restriction will end at the end of March - just a few more days.
She didn't know if they could prepare the medication before the date and sell it as soon as March ends, or if they had to wait until the end of March to even make it.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-11, 05:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about
Omg theres a shortage!

I tried to pick up my Dexedrine by Barr, theres a huge shortage right now. I only got 3/4 of my prescription. What happens if they order the brand name stuff and theres a shortage of generic? Will they sell it to me at the same price or something? I'm ticked off, anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by BR549; 11-27-11 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: shortage thread merge
Old 09-12-11, 07:54 AM
Contributor

Macavity224 is on a distinguished road
Re: Omg theres a shortage!

First Adderall, now Dex...

Do you take the IR's or ER's? I recall reading on these boards that brand name only comes in ER form now; for IR's, you'll only be able to get the generics.
Old 09-12-11, 12:44 PM

lesska22 is on a distinguished road

No, if they're out of generic and only have brand name you will have to pay the price of brand name. But before you do call around to some other pharmacies. This happened to me with Adderall they didn't even tell me they filled it with brand so when I came to pick it up they tell me the price and I took my prescription back from them, went home called around a few places and found a pharmacy in a grocery store that had some generics and got it filled.
Old 09-12-11, 02:51 PM
Jr Member

jasonshadow is on a distinguished road

I dropped a script for 15mg of Dex Spansules last Monday and was told the Pharm would have it by Thursday. When I went to pick it up on Thursday they said the meds never arrived but hopefully by Monday. I will see later today if they made it or not.
Old 09-15-11, 06:11 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Its ER, I know theres no IR anymore in brand name. It sucks. The pharmacy does order it, but if their supplier doesn't have it they don't have it either. I'm a bit annoyed. I didn't believe in shortages until this happened.
Old 09-17-11, 10:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

relax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the rough

I think there's a shortage with all stimulant medications. Methamphetamine HCl is in short supply as well in some areas. It was very difficult to find generics of any of the amphetamine products. I had to settle for brand.
Old 09-18-11, 07:11 AM
Contributor

Macavity224 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by relax21 View Post
I think there's a shortage with all stimulant medications. Methamphetamine HCl is in short supply as well in some areas. It was very difficult to find generics of any of the amphetamine products. I had to settle for brand.
I can't imagine Desoxyn is easy to find under any circumstances...
Old 09-19-11, 04:13 PM

FrozenBulletz is on a distinguished road
Extreme Shortage in South Orange county!!

Hello All i am trying to fill my prescription for generic dexerdrine 20 MG x4 times a day so 180 pills a month. NO PHARMACY IN SOUTH OC is carrying IT! ANYONE KNOW any pharmacies please??? in South orange county california.

Last edited by BR549; 11-27-11 at 07:27 PM..
Old 09-19-11, 04:15 PM

Im in south OC And iv called like a ton of pharmacies. Anyone know any that have it in stock?
Old 10-12-11, 10:47 PM

EJP31687 is on a distinguished road
Dex Spanules BARR vs. Generic... switching from Vyvanse

Hey all,

I was on Vyvanse for two months.. with some success. It did help me concentrate, but it was too subtle for my liking. It also was very inconsistent with its release for me.

Anyways, I had to convince my p-doc to prescribe me Dex Spanules.. which she did hesitantly (ridiculous). I live in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago... and apparently I can ONLY get BARR Dex Spanules here! I literally called the 40 closest pharmacies to me, and they can't even ORDER Brand Spanules. Very disappointing. So, I've been on the BARR Spanules (10mg twice a day) for the past week, and while it has definitely been an improvement over Vyvanse, I feel I can still do better. I have quite a bit of confidence that the Brand Spanules are what I'm looking for, after reading extensively about them on this board. Although all I have to compare them to is Vyvanse.. the BARR Spanules have a very sharp "up" which I can't stand since I have generalized anxiety disorder. Once I get past the up, I can function fairly well... until the very distinct rebound. At least I can FEEL this medication working. With the Vyvanse it was too subtle and inconsistent. Can anybody else relate to this?

Also.. is it normal to have occasional shortages of Brand Dex in a particular area??? I'm VERY discouraged by this, and I feel like I know what my drug is.. and I can't get my hands on it! I'm trying to hold out hope. For now, the BARR spanules will have to do. Definitely better than Vyvanse.. and FAR better than nothing.

Thanks!

Last edited by BR549; 11-27-11 at 07:27 PM..
Old 10-13-11, 12:51 AM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,133 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dex Spanules BARR vs. Generic... switching from Vyvanse

Have you called Amedra? Sometimes they can tell you where you can find their product in your area.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
Bergerman25 (12-10-11), EJP31687 (10-13-11)
Old 10-13-11, 03:03 PM

Pharmacies Back Ordered And out of Dexedrine Generic.......in Socal

Anyone know any pharmacies in SOCAL. The Orange county area that are in stock with Dexedrine.........All the pharmacies are out right now and i talked to a customer service rep and he said there is problems with the RAW material in manufacturing the med and delay could take 8 weeks or more.........Anyone know any pharmacies in stock??? I take 10 MG Dextroamphetamine 180 tablets.

Last edited by BR549; 11-27-11 at 09:12 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FrozenBulletz For This Useful Post:
ww2Vet+dextabs (02-02-13)