ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 09-22-11, 10:03 PM

Laotzu is on a distinguished road
Adderall adjustment period: is it normal?

6 months ago i went to my doctor for social anxiety, mood and mild depression like symptoms and he prescribed 20mg of Celexa once per day. About 3 months ago he upped the dosage to 40mg a day.

There was a mild adjustment period with Celexa but nothing to major it seemed to treat every symptom that i was experiencing which was great but 1 month ago i was diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall IR 20mg twice daily. Currently i take 40mg of Adderall and 40mg of Celexa a day. The adderall adjustment period has lasted almost 2 weeks.

I did not sleep for the first 72 hours of being on the adderall. i had chronic dry mouth, kidney pain, heavy breathing, extreme restlessness, became extremely talkative changing topics before i even finished the sentence and kept having to be reminded of what i was saying. i have hardly eaten maybe one meal a day at most. i have lost 15 lbs so far.

Is this a usual reaction to Adderall?
Old 09-23-11, 06:39 AM
Contributor

sbcy has a spectacular aura aboutsbcy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adderall adjustment period: is it normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Simpson View Post
6 months ago i went to my doctor for social anxiety, mood and mild depression like symptoms and he prescribed 20mg of Celexa once per day. About 3 months ago he upped the dosage to 40mg a day.

There was a mild adjustment period with Celexa but nothing to major it seemed to treat every symptom that i was experiencing which was great but 1 month ago i was diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall IR 20mg twice daily. Currently i take 40mg of Adderall and 40mg of Celexa a day. The adderall adjustment period has lasted almost 2 weeks.

I did not sleep for the first 72 hours of being on the adderall. i had chronic dry mouth, kidney pain, heavy breathing, extreme restlessness, became extremely talkative changing topics before i even finished the sentence and kept having to be reminded of what i was saying. i have hardly eaten maybe one meal a day at most. i have lost 15 lbs so far.

Is this a usual reaction to Adderall?
Your doc is crazy starting you out at 20mg IR! XR is about half as potent as the IR and 20mg of even XR for me is way too much when first starting out. Since it's IR, you could probably ask your doc about taking 1/4 of the pill, then eventually he will probably want to raise it to 1/2, etc.

Pretty much everything you listed happened to me when I took too much Adderall. Then again...Adderally never really worked for me-either it had similar effects to those you listed or just really obsessive and no appetite. No help with focus. Let us know if it helps you, I'm curious.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbcy For This Useful Post:
selita (09-23-11)
Old 09-23-11, 08:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,165 Times in 554 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of
Re: Adderall adjustment period: is it normal?

Yes, 40mg per day of Adderall is much too high for most people, especially when they just start out. Take a day or two off and get some rest, then start again at 2x5mg. Try that for a few days, then perhaps increase it to 3x5mg, or 1x10mg + 1x5mg for a few more days. Then 10mg + 10mg, or 10mg + 2x5mg...

And so on until you find a dose that helps your symptoms but doesn't cause such nasty side effects. And, don't be afraid to reduce it again if you start having trouble sleeping or anything. And don't exceed the 40mg.