ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-11, 02:11 AM

toogled is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Being reported as a drug shopper, where do I make complaint back on them

Im an official ADHD fully diagnosed in behavioural analysis and "have it on paper" by some of the best neuro diagnostic team in the country, yet I still have old fashioned ADHD doctors who are talking about my drug use past and make reports against me.

If you look at the amount of people in the 20-30 demographic age group that have used an illegal substance in the last year both male and female it is really high this new generation, and also look at untreated ADHD tendency to seek stimulation and make irreponsible decisions, the fact that these things are of little importance and the diangnosis in a few of my earlier cases stopped there before it was even considered and Im an average looking and speaking university student there is nothing to set off this backlash. I feel very offended.

This is only a small minority of doctors but im really feeling sick about this behaviour as I havnt been using illegal drugs since just after teen years yet thats the only topic they seem is important when talking about ADHD, not the recent lobe evidence (get it). I have my meds and everything on paper and im rebuilding my life which means now I am able to goto uni and I work a normal job, hopefully. Without the meds I may not be so lucky at all. My parents are just sad about how ADHD has destroyed alot of ooportunities for me.

Is there a website we the abused ones by congregate and make our own little complaints against the doctors complaints? If justice exists in this situation, whose the best person to discuss that. (thats IF)

Old 09-23-11, 02:53 AM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about
Re: Being reported as a drug shopper, where do I make complaint back on them

Are you in a country with nationalized health care? There should be a standards board.

There are non stimulant meds too.....
Old 09-23-11, 04:49 AM

toogled is on a distinguished road

Im in no rush as I have my meds, but I will see what things I can do to possibly file a complaint about doctors who would say they treat ADULT ADHD but do not know some of the most fundamental things about it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-11, 07:08 PM

PuprleBroa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School MBD View Post
There are non stimulant meds too.....

What kind of non-stimulants would you reccomend?
Old 09-23-11, 07:20 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,539 Times in 13,422 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to judge and I'm no saint but what kinds of drugs did you use?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 01-19-12, 10:44 PM

D3s0xyn has a spectacular aura aboutD3s0xyn has a spectacular aura about

This really makes me ANGRY. Everyone has a right to receive medical treatment, and just because you used drugs in the past (even if it was stimulant abuse) doesn't mean you should be deprived of your medicine that helps you. If anything being on ritalin or adderal reduces your chances of using street drugs!

DX: ADHD (mostly PI or mixed), AS (mild),
RX: Concerta (Methylphenidate) 36mg daily+ Methylphenidate (Rubifen) 10mg prn

Formally: Methylphenidate 20mg (2x 10mg AM and PM)
Dextroamphetamine 25mg (3x 5mg, AM and 2x 5mg PM)

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood - Marie Curie
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D3s0xyn For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-20-12), Joker_Girl (01-20-12), mrs. dobbs (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 09:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,032 Times in 461 Posts
Etcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3s0xyn View Post
This really makes me ANGRY. Everyone has a right to receive medical treatment, and just because you used drugs in the past (even if it was stimulant abuse) doesn't mean you should be deprived of your medicine that helps you. If anything being on ritalin or adderal reduces your chances of using street drugs!
This. Having a past of drug abuse should be a sign that proves you need to be medicated. Doesn't mean they have to give you unlimited supplies of it, but if you have the right dosage to treat ADHD, you can hardly truly abuse it, right?
D3s0xyn (01-20-12), Joker_Girl (01-20-12), Lunacie (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 09:27 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud of

I mentioned my previous history of drug use when I was being evaluated for ADHD and it seemed to be of little consequence, almost as if it was expected. I didn't dwell on it and didn't feel the need to go into detail or anything, I was just honest that I used to smoke a lot of weed and had some chemical romances over the years but am sober now (which is true).

My psychiatrist is pretty intuitive and can see through any ******** I put up, and I never intentionally deceive her or myself but if for some reason I do and am unaware of it she'll call me out on it. I actually like that, keeps me in check.

I know many ADD'ers with histories of drug abuse that make the people on Intervention look like recreational drug hobbyists. Their ADD meds are one of the more important factors in their current sobriety.
“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,...someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself!”
-Mitch Hedberg

“My nephew has HDADHD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's unbelievably clear.”
-Steven Wright

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDinHDefgHi?! For This Useful Post:
mrs. dobbs (01-20-12)
Old 01-20-12, 09:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

WorkAholic will become famous soon enough

I never gave it much thought until I was diagnosed as an adult with ADD...but I did amazing when I was in school doing drugs, uppers. It's no wonder why I did so well! I could study all night and ace my exam. It was a breeze.

Now...I've moved away from the druggie I used to be and stink at school! I find it so strange that I do so poorly without drugs. It seems wrong!

Anyway, I've got a really high tolerance because of my past and I'm still working on finding a solution to this chaos inside my head that won't let me focus.

Until I find that solution, I'm not going to stop trying, not today anyway.

Past: Vyvanse, Focalin, Adderall IR/XR, Ritalin, Strattera, Cymbalta
Old 01-20-12, 10:22 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

cameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDinHDefgHi?! View Post

I know many ADD'ers with histories of drug abuse that make the people on Intervention look like recreational drug hobbyists. Their ADD meds are one of the more important factors in their current sobriety.
This is something that doctors should understand. It pretty much common sense. I've done some drugs, but mostly as a way to feel 'something'. I abused my Dexedrine years ago but I came clean and got help as an inpatient in the hospital. I still smoke pot occasionally since it's essentially legal here (Netherlands) and readily available, and I know how it affects me and it allows me to 'relax' and do nothing on days off, which helps since doing nothing is really difficult for me.

Even with this information, my doctor had no hesitation in prescribing Dexedrine. I've abused it once, I was young and stupid, and I now have a new respect for it.

I would be offended and frustrated as well if this happened to me. I hope it works out. What does being reported as a drug shopper entail, by the way?

I'm actually quite surprised at how difficult it is to obtain stimulant medication in the U.S. and how reluctant doctors are to prescribe. I don't know this for a fact, but it would seem like meth would be easier to get and cheaper...
Old 01-20-12, 11:11 PM

D3s0xyn has a spectacular aura aboutD3s0xyn has a spectacular aura about

A doctor shopper is one who goes from doctor to doctor faking symptoms in the hope of getting abusable drugs often to off sell for a profit. Being labeled as a doctor shopper means you have almost no chance of getting any potentially abusable drug i.e stimulants, opiods, benzos, Z drugs

Worse yet, a doctor may not go the extra mile to help you if he/she thinks you're trying to scam him and the system.

Being labeled as a doctor shopper is extremely terrible and completely ruins your treatment and as such doctors really can't go by a "gut feeling" they imo need concrete proof

DX: ADHD (mostly PI or mixed), AS (mild),
RX: Concerta (Methylphenidate) 36mg daily+ Methylphenidate (Rubifen) 10mg prn

Formally: Methylphenidate 20mg (2x 10mg AM and PM)
Dextroamphetamine 25mg (3x 5mg, AM and 2x 5mg PM)

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood - Marie Curie

Last edited by D3s0xyn; 01-20-12 at 11:37 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to D3s0xyn For This Useful Post:
cameron90 (01-21-12)
Old 01-24-12, 02:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

WorkAholic will become famous soon enough

Just saw a new doctor this morning and I told him about my past history of drug abuse, every detail.

He still prescribed me the adderall (but I also had a note from my old psych stating I've been on ADD meds and am clinically diagnosed)

Past: Vyvanse, Focalin, Adderall IR/XR, Ritalin, Strattera, Cymbalta