ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-21-04, 06:56 AM

mel is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Desperate For Advice/help For Adderall Issue

We have different disorders but use the same medication- ADDERALL and I desperatly need some help, information, advice, etc.
I suffer from a rare, genetic sleep disorder called, Idiopathic Hypersomnia in which I will sleep 24/7 without meds. My case is very
severe so I've been on Adderall 30 mg 3x a day for a long time (and with great success) in order to function. It works so well for me. My blood pressure gets dangerously low but the Adderall makes it normal. I eat,sleep and function like a normal human being without any side effects.
However, eleven months ago I discovered that Adderall changed their formula and is now adding sulfa derivatives to the inactive ingredients. I get bad reactions from the new fomula (and the Adderall XR) because I am allergic/sensitive to sulfa. I've had to call our various pharmacies around town and locate the old version in the brown, glass bottles (The new formula comes in plastic bottles). I am now starting on the Phamacies 50 miles away from us because I have used all I can find within 50 miles of our town. Eventually I will no longer be able to find the old version at all. Adderall has been a last resort for my Excessive Daytime Sleepiness (Idiopathic Hypersomnia). I took Ritalin for years but my body got used to it. The other meds, including the new one, Zyrem, have not been effective. I have tried relentlessly to get the manufacture of Immediate Release Adderall (Shire) to make the old formula for me or get a compounding company and/or Pharmacist to make a compound of the active ingrediants of Adderall Immediate Release but have had no success. In fact, they were quite rude to me- three out of four different people I talked to. Believe me, I have tried and researched all /any other possible tx for me but this is it. My doctor doesn't know what else to do for me. For 11 months, I have spent no less than 2 hours a day (most days its about 5 hours) calling, emailing, researching, reading about this and have gotten very little help- from the FDA to our local pharmacist- most are not even aware there was a change. After all of this research, I could tell you every little detail about Adderall, Shire, the generics, compounding meds, class 2 drug laws, propriety/formulation/patent requirements, FDA regs, government programs, Shire's history, management names, salaries and financial gains, etc. My only salvation is that what I'm going through may help someone else. But right now, if I don't get a compound made, my life will be spent sleeping and I won't be able to help anyone- including my patients (I am the lead counselor on an impatient mental health hospital. I also have a wonderful 14 yr. old daughter and loving husband who's lives I want to continue to be a part of. The clock is always ticking down in my head.
My question is this: Is it even possible for a compound to be made of the active ingredients (4 amphetamine salts) in Adderall? If so, any idea on price or who could do it? Do you know of any other resources that might be helpful to me or if there is any law in place that might allow me to get the active ingredients in Adderall Immediate release made into a compound or get the manufacture's (Shire) to make the old formula on a compassionate need basis? Please feel free to forward this to anyone who might be able to help me.
TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE, AS THE SUPPLY OF THE OLD FORMULA OF IMMEDIATE RELEASE ADDERALL (IN ANY AND ALL STRENGTHS) IS DWINDLING AND IS GETTING HARDER FOR ME TO FIND. PLEASE, PLEASE ANY HELP WILL BE SO MUCH APPRECIATED. Thank-you so much for your time.
Old 09-21-04, 07:46 AM
Contributor

Sc@tterBr@in_UK has disabled reputation
If you're talking about INACTIVE ingredients, then check into generics - there should be generics available for Adderall and they may still have the same ingredients.

However the sulfates are ACTIVE ingredients, at least I can't find anything about "Sulfa" in the inactive ones: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/amphet.htm

Also, there is another med for Narcolepsy called Modafinil/Provigil that I don't think you mentioned in your post - have you tried this?

[Diagnosed HFA/AS 'with considerable attentional dysfunction in December 2003]

Last edited by Sc@tterBr@in_UK; 09-21-04 at 08:14 AM..
Old 09-23-04, 01:59 PM

lynx is an unknown quantity at this point
It is not necessarily the 4 salts that make such a big difference, it is the 25% l-amphetamine/75% d-amphetamine ratio that makes adderall different from straight Dexedrine.

You can mimic the effect by using d-amphetamine and some ephedrine.

Good luck
Old 09-23-04, 06:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

daisyo75 is on a distinguished road
I don't have an answer for you but I must say I am glad you posted this. I have had bad reactions to sulfa in the past and don't want to go down that road again!

I hope you find somehting that will work for you...

My name is Daisy and I have a short atten.... oh look at that shiny rock.
Old 09-25-04, 09:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

kimo is on a distinguished road
I found this topic very interesting. Mostly because I take Adderall and I am allergic to sulfa drugs! I had no idea that Adderall had the sulfa in it!

I take Adderall XR 10 mg plus a 5 mg immediate release at 4 pm.

The manufacturer of the 5 mg I was taking was Barr, but with this refill they changed to a company called Abrika (which I have never heard of).

Maybe because I'm on such a small dose - but I don't have any reaction like I did with the Sulfa drugs (I was totally covered in purple splotches!). I was given Sulfa as an antibiotic. I had no bad effects the first time I took it, but I sure did the second time!

For those of you with reactions to Sulfa, what kind of reactions did you get.

The Dexedrine sounds like it may be a very good alternative for you though. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-10-04, 01:15 AM

bearce4 is on a distinguished road
Wow-this is interesting as I am allergic to sulfa! I had a reaction when using it as an antibiotic-I broke out in hives. I have been taking Adderall for a while now and have small pimple like sores on the left side of my face. I am now wondering if this is an allergic reaction to the sulfa in Adderall. However, I am taking the Barr generic-does anyone know if the Barr generic contains Sulfa?

Beth
Old 11-24-04, 03:55 PM

teddy is on a distinguished road
sulfa...Eeek!

Now you have my curiosity up--I have a very, very allergic reaction to sulfa as in hives so bad that I have been told by my family doctor to never venture near sulfa in any way shape or form..I just started Adderall XR 3 weeks ago and have not had any hives..so that has me questioning the sulfa ingredients. i darn near died from hives due to SULFA in an antbiotic....any help would be wonderfully appreciated. thanks
Old 11-25-04, 01:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,013 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
I, too, had a severe allergic reaction to sulfa. 105 temp, hives, delusional . . man, it sucked! I've been on adderall (immediate) for over 5 years and haven't had one problem with it.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 11-25-04, 04:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

blueyemass1979 is on a distinguished road
have you tried going abroad?

I know this would be tricky, given it's a Schedule II, and I know there would be plenty of legal questions to work out. But given how desperate you are, if you haven't tried already, wouldn't it make sense to try an overseas pharmacist? I'm thinking Mexico, or, who knows, maybe Canada or the UK.

I know Mexico doesn't have Adderall XR, but they might have the constituent parts. It just seems like whenever you need a discreet medical treatment you can get it there. Of course, their drug laws and enforcement are draconian so you would want to be careful in that respect.

Meanwhile, the US is often the first to roll out the new meds. So wouldn't the other countries be more likely to have the old ones on hand?

You would have to be creative in getting the pills back into the US. My own doctor tells me that his patients have had no problem simply mailing their Adderall from the US to other countries where they are not available. If a customs declaration is involved, they just see that it's a prescription drug and don't bother, even though the legality of the whole thing is tricky.

Would US customs be lax too? I think they might be. Once I bought a prescription pill from an overseas pharmacy--the sent it in a plain envelope without even a customs declaration, and apparently no one at the post office checks because they're still in business doing this.

Best of luck. I'm so sorry to see you falling victim to our nation's ridiculous anti-ADHD drug laws.
Old 11-25-04, 04:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

blueyemass1979 is on a distinguished road
Another thought: have you tried Dexedrine? People who do well on Adderall often do well on Dexedrine since it's so similar.

You probably have, but just in case you haven't, I thought I'd mention it.
Old 12-06-04, 02:11 PM

BenFoldsNerd is on a distinguished road
Bizarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearce4
Wow-this is interesting as I am allergic to sulfa! I had a reaction when using it as an antibiotic-I broke out in hives. I have been taking Adderall for a while now and have small pimple like sores on the left side of my face. I am now wondering if this is an allergic reaction to the sulfa in Adderall. However, I am taking the Barr generic-does anyone know if the Barr generic contains Sulfa?

Beth
I also have the same little sores you describe... more on the left side of my face than the right. I went to the doctor and was told that it's called perioral dermatitis. Mine is around the mouth and nose, hence "perioral." It responds to topical antibiotics like Neosporin. Although cortizone cream will make it temporarily vanish, the bacteria's still there and thrives with the suppressed immune environment. My advice... stay away from the cortizone. I've never taken any sulfa drugs before, but I know that my mom is very allergic to them. I wonder if I'm sensitive to them also, but that it's a small enough amount just to 'irritate' my body and leave it succeptible to little infections like dermatitis.
Old 12-08-04, 09:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

robmhill is on a distinguished road
it is sulfate, ampetamine sulfate it makes it soluble in water, without the sulfate it is insoluble and would percipitate, also it would be easier to modify, sulfate bonds are hard to bread. you need a metal (often heavy) and sometimes electricity. and of course is probably illegal to do.
Old 12-08-04, 09:31 AM

When did they add the sulfate to the mix? Do you happen to know? I'm very curious about this.
Old 12-08-04, 09:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

robmhill is on a distinguished road
as far as i know the sulfate has always been there, it has been for the year or so i have taken it, it is what makes it a salt. without it, it would be an oily liquid.
and it is not a sulfa it is SO4 bonded with a covalent bond to the amphetamine.
Old 12-08-04, 09:41 AM

I'm wondering now... are the earlier posts that are talking about sulfa, referring to the sulfate? (oh, how I wish this weren't so complicated...)