ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you have vision problems?
Perfect vision (lucky me!) 20 18.18%
Vision problems since childhood, but mild 21 19.09%
Vision problems only in adulthood, and mild 24 21.82%
Vision problems since childhood, pretty darn bad 42 38.18%
Vision problems only in adulthood, but pretty darn bad 3 2.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-04, 11:42 AM

Ruby is on a distinguished road
Vision Problems and Attention Deficit Disorder

I've been doing some reading on omega-3 deficiencies, and one of the things omega-3 is supposed to help with is vision. I'm blind as a bat (over 8 diopters of correction with contacts, about 10 with glasses, for those who care to know)--so blind that my eyesight is too bad for lasic surgery to be an option for me.

About 25% of the adult population is myopic, and about 30% of adults over 40. That should give us some baseline for measuring if more of us have eye trouble than average.

Anyone else have eyesight problems?
Old 09-21-04, 01:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
They be time My eyes would go blurr staring at something from a distance w/ eyes wide open...I am always having to squint...ack

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-21-04, 01:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Conlaw is on a distinguished road
Interesting correlation. I've been nearsighted since 4th grade. My eyes have become progressively worse and, at 48 yo, my contact lens prescription is -6.5 in both eyes. Is that 6.5 diopters? I was approved for laser eye surgery a few years ago, but didn't have it done. Since then, my new eye doctor has told me that he believes I should not have eye surgery with my poor eyesight.
I wear reading glasses with a strength of 2.25, but only had to start wearing them in the last year. Susan
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-04, 09:30 AM

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
I have reason to believe I'm astygmatic - when I relax my face and eyes, my eyes go terribly out of focus (makes life interesting after dentists, etc. where they've sedated my face, heh). I'm actually after thinking about that going to go for an eye exam I think for glasses - it's much more comfortable with my eyes out of focus and relaxed. Stupid straining.

I also have "Poor Color Vision." In dim lights, such as dawn or dusk, or any orange-tone lights (most non-halogen lights), I can't see a lot of colors: light blue is grey, orange is red, yellow is white or grey, etc. In "grey light" like a rainy day, I can't see blue or green. In "bright" grey light, like on a cloudy but sunny day, I have to wear sunglasses, everything appears bright white.

I honestly have no idea what magenta is, or purple, those are made up colors I think. I can see most _bright_ colors in any light, such as "pure" blue, "pure" red, etc. Other than that though, they turn into other colors. The technical term for this is "poor color vision - blue-yellow" but I also have trouble with red-brown.

All that said, I checked perfect vision: I have 20/15 uncorrected vision (I can see at 20 feet what most people can only see at 15), with no nearsighted correlation, when I am focusing my eyes, which, like I said, takes straining and muscle effort. The poor color vision only bothers me in that sometimes I have to complain about the lighting in rooms, and sometimes people will say "Oh what a great color" "Um, it's grey." "No it's a beautiful blue." "Bull." Heh.
Old 09-22-04, 06:07 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby
About 25% of the adult population is myopic, and about 30% of adults over 40. That should give us some baseline for measuring if more of us have eye trouble than average.
Well, not quite. While approximately 25 percent of the adult population may have myopia, I would imagine that most (greater than 80 percent) of those are probably in the mild range (less than -3 diopter?). It would be interesting to compare those who need -6 or more (or is that less because the number is negative? ) diopter correction for clear vision to the typical population. My lenses are for a -8 diopter correction and I have worn glasses since I was seven years old.

Five days after getting new lenses (-8 diopter each), I still had major problems passing the state vision test for driving (of course depth perception may have been another factor). I was fortunate in that I was allowed to take the test a second time. Unfortunately, my vision makes it hard for me to see the red and blue lights on police cars coming down the road, so my passport 8500 helps give me some advance warning .
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 10-08-04, 11:11 PM

Wheezie has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller
The poor color vision only bothers me in that sometimes I have to complain about the lighting in rooms, and sometimes people will say "Oh what a great color" "Um, it's grey." "No it's a beautiful blue." "Bull." Heh.
LOL! So my husband is not the only one!!!

My husband and I had a bet about whether are butt-ugly couch was brown or green. (we weren't arguing about if it was ugly, we both agreed it was!)

We were at work and started talking about our couch, when I realized he had the color wrong!!! We made a bet, with a co-worker picked as final judge on who was right. Loser had to make a meal for the winner and our co-worker.

So, when we got home, the three of us walked into the living room and looked at the couch. Simultaneously, we said, "see it's brown!" and "see, it's green!"

My husband cooked us supper. He claims to this day that the couch was green and that the judge was unfairly influenced by the fact that I was an *awful* cook.

oh-how-i-love-a-tangent,
wheezie
Old 10-09-04, 01:39 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
wheezie, are you red-green color blind? My father had that.

I voted perfect vision but too much computer is eventually beginning to damage my close up focus.
Old 10-09-04, 02:06 PM

Wheezie has disabled reputation
paul,

Nope, not color blind. Besides, I was right!!!

I'm near-sighted so wear glasses all the time, I voted mild, but, that's only compared to my husband. I don't know the numbers or anything.

I've worn glasses since 5th grade when the figured out that all my day-dreaming was because I couldn't see the blackboard. Hmmm, funny that glasses didn't solve the problem....

Truth be told, the couch was a brownish-green. But, definitely more brown than green!!! (no matter that my husband holds the opposite belief).

w.
Old 10-15-04, 11:14 PM

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
There is no such thing as "brownish green." It was brown. Green is a grey tone when it mixes with other stuff, at least for me, hehe.

Yay for colorblindness!
Old 10-17-04, 07:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swamp Donkey is on a distinguished road
I've worn glasses since ~5th grade or so. Eyesight is pretty bad; I can shower, sleep and ...um...one other thing without my glasses. Between ADHD and myopia, if I ever take my glasses off, I'll never find them again.

I'm also red/green color blind.

I can see primary colors distinctly if they are bright, but most shades/hues/combinations leave me completely lost.
Ever been out in the woods and felt like you were being watched?
** Photo taken March 1999 near The Forks, Maine.**
Old 10-18-04, 12:39 AM

SpinningTop is on a distinguished road
Interesting!
I've worn glasses since 3rd grade. Now have -6.00/-6.50 (contacts), -7.25/-7.75 (glasses), mild astigmatism
Old 10-20-04, 03:12 PM

Kelly is on a distinguished road
My eyes are starting to go bad - and I'm only 27! I have an appointment to get them checked out in a week or so. I'm having trouble reading words on the TV and road signs *bleah*

My husband's vision is fuzzy even with his glasses - we just figured out this weekend that his vision WITH his glasses and mine without are exactly the same. Freaky.
Old 11-30-04, 12:55 AM

aneededchange has disabled reputation
Well ... if it means anything ...

I started losing my vision before I was in kindergarten. Parents realized that I was bad off when I was in 2nd grade, vision got worse as I got older.

I was a fraction way from bing legally blind ... had a chance to have surgery(in 2000) and took it. It worked for about a year or so.... Now I am back to losing my vision.

But, hey - at least I can start from scratch ... *lol*
~ author unknown~
Forum guidelines:

Avatar made by this user, so please do not "borrow" without asking for permission first.
Old 11-30-04, 03:10 AM
Contributor

gypsysway will become famous soon enough
Couldn't see the features on your face from 6ft away, Had lasik 3 yrs ago LOVE IT. Bad enough being the only kid in the house to need glasses, (9, people in the house) but the ADHD along with the rest of things that set me apart from everything else. I would catch **** for loseing my glasses or breaking them and all. Feels great to go swimming in the ocean and be able to see where your going at the same time!
"Every individual has to retain his way of thinking if he does not want to get lost in the maze of possibilities. However, nobody is sure of having taken the right road, me the least"... Albert Einstein; May 25, 1953
Old 12-12-04, 05:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
I have had glasses since i was in kindergarten. I was fortunate enough to get contacts in 5th grade, a very young age for contacts. I have considered the lasik surgery many times, but my doc says to wait till my eyes are more stable for a couple of years. I still worry about losing my sight if something were to go wrong during the surgery.

Does anyone have those "Focus day and night contacts"?? Just curious.
If your important people will wait for u!