ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-11, 04:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

littlefidget will become famous soon enough
Nightmares

Is it normal for an adult to have regular nightmares? Just wondering if anybody else has frequent nightmares, and if you do, how you deal with them?
Old 09-29-11, 05:35 AM
Contributor

SweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to behold
Re: Nightmares

I only have nightmares with some specific kinds of sleeping pills, are you taking any sleeping aid medication?

Meds: Ritalin IR 10mg + Vyvanse 50mg 1x/day | Pantoprazole 40mg 2x/day
Disclaimer: (If you see me posting something related with meds , please remember that I am not a doctor , I like to research but please don't take any action from my advices without talking with your doctor.)
Old 09-29-11, 05:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sertraline, but the nightmares were happening long before I started on it, although have worsened since then.
Old 09-29-11, 06:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,834 Times in 14,123 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think this could be from a past trauma? When I was diagnosed with ptsd years ago I had awful nightmares. After years of therapy and working through it I no longer have them.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-29-11, 07:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do you think this could be from a past trauma? When I was diagnosed with ptsd years ago I had awful nightmares. After years of therapy and working through it I no longer have them.
I've never had a really traumatic experience. I was bullied quite a lot in high school, seldom physically it was often being made fun of or being ignored/rejected.

I've overcome a lot of the problems associated with having spent a lot of time as a target for bullies, although I still have very low self esteem and don't really have any friends.

My nightmares are rarely similar and don't seem to have a common theme so I don't know if I could really contribute them to having been bullied. I can't really think of a cause.

I've always had them though, a least a couple nights a week, but now it's increased to a couple times a night. Wakening up with each one on top of the fact that I really struggle to get to sleep is basically turning me into a zombie.
Old 09-29-11, 07:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefidget View Post
My nightmares are rarely similar and don't seem to have a common theme so I don't know if I could really contribute them to having been bullied. I can't really think of a cause.
In my experience, the idea that dreams have to be the same or contain a common "symbol" in order to be related is a myth. Yes, sometimes people have recurring nightmares with a common symbol, or a clear link to a past event. But often your brain is simply finding whatever and throwing it at you.

I would think a lot about what has been happening in your life lately that has been causing you anxiety. If you don't have an event in your past that could be bothering you, then it probably would be things that are recent. Either way nightmares are usually a response to anxiety on some level, whether it's PTSD or just day-to-day things stressing you out.

Some people keep a notepad beside their beds, where they can write down things that are bothering them before they go to sleep (because in that resting time thought that you have been avoiding often come up), and also to write down the dreams afterwards. I would recommend also to try some quick word association of how the dreams made you feel and what that feeling reminded you of.

Also, basic sleep hygiene can help. No scary movies, video games, etc., before bed. Make going to sleep a relaxing time where you do things that make you feel good. Listen to music that relaxes you, read a children's book that you enjoy, take a bath, etc.

Hoping you have a nightmare-free night!!

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend