ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-11, 08:01 AM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 13,931 Times in 6,993 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb How long is too long??

As some of you may have noticed, there has been a move on these forums for the longest time.... almost 2 years, possibly more, to re-unite ADHDers of the Predominantly Inattentive and Combined subtypes.

Indeed, from early on, the presence of a section called Inattentive ADD [sic -- all ADHDers are Inattentive, PI's AND combined types].... but anyway, the presence of this forum has left combined types feeling out in the cold.

This is largely because a tiny minority of PI members (most no longer active) found that they "could not relate" to the more "stereotypical" ADHD combined types.

They perceived that said ADHD-C members dominated the forums, which I fnd odd, given that in my +- year and a half here, I've seen about equal numbers or members diagnosed (or self identifying) as Combined and PI. It's more or less 50-50.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast forward over a year and it has become clear that the Inattentive Section is not going anywhere anytime soon,

So, in the spirit of fairness, some ADHD-C members suggest a combines type subforum. Fair's fair right. And said members have received much support on the well known site suggestions thread. Supporters have included ADHD-PI people and people like myself who are not formally diagnosed with ADHD but lean more towards the PU archetype in our behaviour,

Now I FULLY and TOTALLY understand that

(a) David is a busy man and is rarely on forum,

(b) Andi and Andrew are equally busy, are volunteers, and need to weight the pro's and con's of taking such actions ery carefully,

(c) Andi and Andrew may not have access to create subforums at will, I don't know what privileges they have.

But really people, how long is too long A month, three months, six? Because the Combined Type suggestion has been hanging around for longer than that, with no action been taken.

And frankly it does NOT feel nice to 50% of your members to be dismissed in that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast forward to today, I decide to step up to the plate and take over this unused section for use by the ADHD-C subcommunity. My thread is promptly closed by a super-moderator.

Reason? This is an issue for Administrators. But Administrators have been BEGGED to take this issue seriously for over 6 months.

So, I ask you again, my fellow members:

HOW LONG IS TOO LONG?

When talking with [NTers] it's like exchanging floppy discs but with fellow neurodiverse its like using high speed wifi - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (10-03-11)
Old 10-03-11, 08:16 AM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 13,931 Times in 6,993 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long is too long??

I note for the record that this thread was posted in the temporary ADHD-Combined subforum (formerly ADHD live chat)

When talking with [NTers] it's like exchanging floppy discs but with fellow neurodiverse its like using high speed wifi - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-03-11, 09:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,260 Times in 7,339 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Now that you mention it I am kind of stuck to because I am combined but flip flop between forums.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Abi (10-03-11), EYEFORGOT (10-03-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-11, 11:32 AM

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

I don't why it should be so hard to change the Inattentive section to an ADHD-PI section and then create an ADHD-C/ADHD-H section. Then everyone gets a spot to talk about their subtypes.

Unless there is some reason why ADHD-H people would feel like they would need their own section, but my understanding is that we share many symptoms, and that the real division is between PIs and other subtypes.

Just my 2 cents.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Abi (10-03-11), EYEFORGOT (10-03-11)
Old 10-03-11, 12:48 PM

Thanked 8,282 Times in 2,786 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

I pay no attention to which forum section I am posting in, as I just hit New Posts and go. I could be posting in the purple people eater section and not know it. However...

I'm all for either abolishing the PI section or adding a H/C section. You know, for fairness.

Or we could instead have symptom sections. The Inattentive section, the Impulsive section the Hyperactive section. *shrug*

((((Technically I was diagnosed as PI but considering the amount of pacing around the place, fidgeting, and fast talking I do on a regular basis I consider myself leaning more towards Combined.)))
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
Abi (10-03-11), dsvlil1 (10-03-11), EYEFORGOT (10-03-11), Lunacie (10-03-11), pechemignonne (10-03-11), sarahsweets (10-03-11)
Old 10-03-11, 02:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,166 Times in 555 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

I'm a little worried about over-splitting the forum. To some extent it makes sense but there's a forum for nutrition AND exercise AND recipes and they are all pretty low-volume. Then there are 3(?) teen forums, and that's fine but they're all low-volume too.

Also, I exactly match PI under DSM-IV and C under DSM-V. What sort of hybrid freak am I?!

I don't know, it's confusing. Almost every thread I've started has been moved.
Old 10-03-11, 02:55 PM
can't remember diddly Moderator

Thanked 6,033 Times in 3,082 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute

In the meantime, please feel free to start a thread in another section and you may include the "combined type" aspect into the title. That also might help in seeing where things are at, are we addressing the issues without a seperate sub-forum?

Since we already have a discussion going on this I don't want to keep two threads on the same subject going right next to each other, so I'll close this, with the understanding that I fully and whole-heartedly appreciate your post, Abi.

Please read our forum guidelines.
FAQ "How Do I...start here"
Closed Thread