ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-14-11, 09:31 AM

lbeezy is on a distinguished road
Adderall The Appetite Suppressant

If you are taking Adderall and in fear of becoming under weight, then I have some tips for you.

1. Dry mouth is a common side effect among those who take Adderall. This can sometimes make it difficult to chew. Eat lots of things like yogurt and pudding. These things can easily slide down the back of your throat, making for an easy eating experience while on Adderall. Get the kinds of yogurts and puddings that are packed with calories and sugar.

2. I believe that protein is a key nutrient in giving our bodies energy. While on Adderall most people might not have the appetite to eat a big juicy steak. Go to the store and get yourself a protein powder. It doesn't really matter which kind since were not trying to be body builders here. Drink a small or medium sized protein shake every 3 to 4 hours. This should keep your energy levels up and your stomach filling full.

3. Once the day is coming to an end and the Adderall is tapering off, it's time to "pig" out. Eat a huge dinner and snack until you go to bed. This can make up for the nutrients that you failed to eat during the day.

Be safe and take care of your bodies, it's important.
danpan (10-14-11)
Old 10-14-11, 11:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

danpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nice
Re: Adderall The Appetite Suppressant

Dry mouth has been my biggest obstacle to eating, and I find--as gross as it might be--that taking a sip of water with my chewing helps a bit when I'm having trouble.

My experience with its appetite suppressant properties is a little different though.
Good meat, I could eat all day long. Same with eggs.
Protein feels "right" even on Adderall!

Carbs and grains... no desire whatsoever to eat them.
Eating them feels "wrong" on Adderall, but I still force myself to (with the water trick).
Except for cookies.

As a side note... I'm happy for the appetite suppressant effects. I haven't felt the need to splurge, go to McDonald's, and get a DQP/Cheese at lunch. When I bring frozen lunches to work, I no longer feel the overwhelming desire to eat two of them.
At dinner time, I don't need to eat two massive helpings (unless it's lasagna or alfredo!)
And for breakfast, I'm happy with 2-3 eggs instead of running to the store to get donuts.
I am eating healthier, eating less, and saving money. Thank you, Adderall!

Because I sometimes have to force myself to eat, I have found that Adderall has brought my eating habits under my direct control. In the past 3 weeks, I've lost about 5 lbs, down to 174. It's an unintended boon for me.

(two years ago I could eat an entire large pizza in one sitting, or a whole tray of lasagna. Used to weigh 205. Got better on my own but the adderall has really brought this under control for me!)
The Following User Says Thank You to danpan For This Useful Post:
lbeezy (10-15-11)
Old 10-14-11, 11:43 AM

Yeah I agree.
The appetite suppressing side effect doesn't effect me near as much as it use to. When I was first introduced to Adderall around the age of sixteen, it was a huge problem. I lost about 20 lbs. I was down to 110 lbs at that time. When I was sharing my tips I was thinking more along the lines that if this side effects was really troubling someone my tips might help them. I know it was troubling me in my first experience with Adderall. I took a long break form Adderall though, and have just recently gotten back on it. It doesn't suppress my appetite near as much as it use to. I don't know maybe i've just grown up or something.
Old 10-14-11, 11:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

danpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nice

When they put me on it at 17, I barely ate at all, to the point that I was nearly feinting sometimes. But I think the biggest difference between then and now was that, as a teenager, I relied on my hunger to signal "meal time." As an adult, meal time is determined by necessity. I know I need to eat, rather than feeling like it's time to eat. Could be the same with you.

Anyway, sorry for detracting from the message of the thread by posting my satisfaction with the effects.
I'm sure there are a lot of people struggling to eat, so keep up the tips.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danpan For This Useful Post:
lbeezy (10-15-11), Massari (10-17-11)
Old 10-15-11, 11:15 AM

I think you just hit the nail on the head with that explanation, it makes a lot of since, and it's cool man I appreciate your post.
Old 10-17-11, 06:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpan View Post
When they put me on it at 17, I barely ate at all, to the point that I was nearly feinting sometimes. But I think the biggest difference between then and now was that, as a teenager, I relied on my hunger to signal "meal time." As an adult, meal time is determined by necessity. I know I need to eat, rather than feeling like it's time to eat. Could be the same with you.

Anyway, sorry for detracting from the message of the thread by posting my satisfaction with the effects.
I'm sure there are a lot of people struggling to eat, so keep up the tips.
That`s a decent point. If I had to wait for my hunger to get me eating I would probably not eat anything for 3 days.
Old 10-18-11, 02:01 AM
Contributor

Piper30 is a glorious beacon of lightPiper30 is a glorious beacon of lightPiper30 is a glorious beacon of lightPiper30 is a glorious beacon of lightPiper30 is a glorious beacon of light

I lost 80lbs since day one off adderall. Once at a weight where losing was bad I started the protein shake thing. This may sound silly but I have alarms set on my phone to eat. Whether that be shake, some sort of bar, yogurt...something. I made it a rule if i havent eaten when the alarm goes off or between alarms I make myself consume something.

Before that I went days with nothing but coffee and gatorades. Very unhealthy.

uhmm..err...I keep wondering what to put here but I forgot who I was replying to ..???
The Following User Says Thank You to Piper30 For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-18-11)