ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-11, 11:44 AM
.Hope.'s Avatar
.Hope. .Hope. is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 39
Thanks: 31
Thanked 38 Times in 17 Posts
.Hope. will become famous soon enough
We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

[ Which I still have no clue what time it is scheduled for since she has yet to reply to me] And I am feeling so many emotions right now. I feel frustrated, anxious, nervous, and impatient about all of it. We are going to ask for him to be evaluated and after meeting with C's doctor last week he thinks an evaluation needs to be conducted as well.

The thing is there are so many factors combined that all together it is seriously impacting C. He has always struggled in school, not in the sense that he's not smart enough but he requires constant redirection, directions explained to him, and extra time and effort from his teachers. In the past that was never an issue once they understood that he really was trying. His 1st grade teacher loved him to pieces and she pretty much took him under her wing and he did great that year.

Well now he's falling way behind and it is just such a drastic change. This will be his first year doing EOG's and I am very concerned about him. I'm also concerned about the teacher-student and teacher-parent relationships right now because I never hear anything from her and it's constantly me reaching out to her. I don't get any kind of reports on how he's doing, no study guides and materials, and then he fails his tests. I even asked her, "How can he study vocabulary without any study guide?" She replied, "Oh we study at school." Which makes no sense to me because she herself has said he doesn't pay attention in class and has trouble focusing. I even got him tutors but neither the tutors or I can help without having the proper materials and knowledge of what he's learning. Simply telling me "bones" doesn't give me a lot to go on. I know it's not just C struggling though because in one email she sent out it stated, "most of the students aren't where they need to be right now but we're short on time and must move on!" Wow. I know there are guidelines and a schedule to be met but I'm flabbergasted as to how it's beneficial to move on if half the class isn't prepared to move on. They're going to fall behind! And then kids like C who struggle anyways end up slipping through the cracks which is what is happening.

I've tried talking to her in emails about his problems and in one email I opened up about all of it and it was rather lengthy. I was trying to reach out but received this as a reply, "you have a good day as well." That was it. Really? However, she was rather upset with me because I sent a note with C requesting a meeting with her and after a week of no response I contacted her about it. Needless to say she didn't like that very much and became snippy with me. Fine. Be snippy with me because I'm not going to back off when it comes to my son's education.

I spoke with C's doctor last week about all of this and he was just as appalled about it as I was. He recommended I go to the principal or guidance counselor which will probably happen after today. Honestly, I feel like I have two options.

1# Start the process of getting C an IEP or 504 in place.

2# Homeschool him if I can't get the school on the same page.

Granted, I don't want to home school him because he loves to interact with others but if I can't get help and it comes down to homeschooling or him failing then I'm going with homeschooling.


Anyways...wish us luck and any advice, tips, or prayers you have to spare are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to .Hope. For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-20-11), MotherADHD (10-22-11), namazu (10-20-11), pechemignonne (10-20-11)
  #2  
Old 10-20-11, 11:52 AM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 18,750
Thanks: 19,434
Thanked 25,261 Times in 11,730 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hope. View Post
[ Which I still have no clue what time it is scheduled for since she has yet to reply to me] And I am feeling so many emotions right now. I feel frustrated, anxious, nervous, and impatient about all of it. We are going to ask for him to be evaluated and after meeting with C's doctor last week he thinks an evaluation needs to be conducted as well.

The thing is there are so many factors combined that all together it is seriously impacting C. He has always struggled in school, not in the sense that he's not smart enough but he requires constant redirection, directions explained to him, and extra time and effort from his teachers. In the past that was never an issue once they understood that he really was trying. His 1st grade teacher loved him to pieces and she pretty much took him under her wing and he did great that year.

Well now he's falling way behind and it is just such a drastic change. This will be his first year doing EOG's and I am very concerned about him. I'm also concerned about the teacher-student and teacher-parent relationships right now because I never hear anything from her and it's constantly me reaching out to her. I don't get any kind of reports on how he's doing, no study guides and materials, and then he fails his tests. I even asked her, "How can he study vocabulary without any study guide?" She replied, "Oh we study at school." Which makes no sense to me because she herself has said he doesn't pay attention in class and has trouble focusing. I even got him tutors but neither the tutors or I can help without having the proper materials and knowledge of what he's learning. Simply telling me "bones" doesn't give me a lot to go on. I know it's not just C struggling though because in one email she sent out it stated, "most of the students aren't where they need to be right now but we're short on time and must move on!" Wow. I know there are guidelines and a schedule to be met but I'm flabbergasted as to how it's beneficial to move on if half the class isn't prepared to move on. They're going to fall behind! And then kids like C who struggle anyways end up slipping through the cracks which is what is happening.

I've tried talking to her in emails about his problems and in one email I opened up about all of it and it was rather lengthy. I was trying to reach out but received this as a reply, "you have a good day as well." That was it. Really? However, she was rather upset with me because I sent a note with C requesting a meeting with her and after a week of no response I contacted her about it. Needless to say she didn't like that very much and became snippy with me. Fine. Be snippy with me because I'm not going to back off when it comes to my son's education.

I spoke with C's doctor last week about all of this and he was just as appalled about it as I was. He recommended I go to the principal or guidance counselor which will probably happen after today. Honestly, I feel like I have two options.

1# Start the process of getting C an IEP or 504 in place.

2# Homeschool him if I can't get the school on the same page.

Granted, I don't want to home school him because he loves to interact with others but if I can't get help and it comes down to homeschooling or him failing then I'm going with homeschooling.


Anyways...wish us luck and any advice, tips, or prayers you have to spare are greatly appreciated.
Good luck with everything, getting the teacher/staff on board, getting accomodations for your son, all of it.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
.Hope. (10-20-11), BR549 (10-20-11), Dizfriz (10-20-11)
  #3  
Old 10-20-11, 11:57 AM
.Hope.'s Avatar
.Hope. .Hope. is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 39
Thanks: 31
Thanked 38 Times in 17 Posts
.Hope. will become famous soon enough
Re: We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Good luck with everything, getting the teacher/staff on board, getting accomodations for your son, all of it.

Thank you, I've heard this process can be a giant rigmarole but it's worth it if he gets help.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 10-20-11, 11:59 AM
ginniebean's Avatar
ginniebean ginniebean is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,786
Blog Entries: 27
Thanks: 22,964
Thanked 21,929 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

Absolutely and put it in writing that you would like your child tested and you would like an IEP in place.

I have sent you a private message.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
.Hope. (10-20-11), Dizfriz (10-20-11), namazu (10-20-11)
  #5  
Old 10-20-11, 12:07 PM
.Hope.'s Avatar
.Hope. .Hope. is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 39
Thanks: 31
Thanked 38 Times in 17 Posts
.Hope. will become famous soon enough
Re: We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
Absolutely and put it in writing that you would like your child tested and you would like an IEP in place.

I have sent you a private message.
I will and I'm going to have C's doctor write up a recommendation as well. Hopefully it helps.


Thank you for the PM. Off to read it now!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to .Hope. For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (10-20-11)
  #6  
Old 10-20-11, 12:38 PM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 26,681
Thanks: 5,648
Thanked 31,039 Times in 14,222 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

Yes put the request in writing. As far as the teachers behavior goes I personally would go over her head to the principal. There is no excuse for not providing the material. There is no excuse for telling you he has troubles but not offering suggestions on how she makes accommodations. There is no excuse for lack of communication. In order for any student to be successful adhd or not those things must be done. I would write an email to the principal along with sending the emails from the teachers. I would also ask the principal to be at the meeting.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (10-20-11), RedHairedWitch (10-20-11)
  #7  
Old 10-20-11, 02:35 PM
mcnay1 mcnay1 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 167
Thanks: 243
Thanked 179 Times in 96 Posts
mcnay1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcnay1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

I would be absolutely furious if one of my children's teacher's treated me the way that this teacher has treated you. I get angry when an email isnt responded to in a couple of days, so I show up in class to get my questions/concerns addressed. You have shown great restraint, it seems, and I hope from this meeting the process can begin and your son can receive the help that he needs.

I think a meeting with the principal should be scheduled as well (at the very least a letter). i bet he/she would not like to hear the kind of response that the teacher gave you about having to "move on" even though many of the students werent ready to do so.

Good luck with the rest of this! Way to stand up for your son...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-11, 03:16 PM
ginniebean's Avatar
ginniebean ginniebean is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,786
Blog Entries: 27
Thanks: 22,964
Thanked 21,929 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnay1 View Post
I would be absolutely furious if one of my children's teacher's treated me the way that this teacher has treated you. I get angry when an email isnt responded to in a couple of days, so I show up in class to get my questions/concerns addressed. You have shown great restraint, it seems, and I hope from this meeting the process can begin and your son can receive the help that he needs.

I think a meeting with the principal should be scheduled as well (at the very least a letter). i bet he/she would not like to hear the kind of response that the teacher gave you about having to "move on" even though many of the students werent ready to do so.

Good luck with the rest of this! Way to stand up for your son...
Teachers are leery about answering questions in e-mail because it is documentation. However, you can follow up with an e-mail after a conversation by saying, "did I understand you correctly and then list off what the teacher said.....

even no response, you've documented the 'face time' conversation.

Documentation is often an unfortunate necessity.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-20-11), BR549 (10-20-11), MotherADHD (10-22-11), namazu (10-20-11)
  #9  
Old 10-20-11, 04:11 PM
anonymouslyadd's Avatar
anonymouslyadd anonymouslyadd is offline
Moderator of all seasons
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: .
Posts: 14,344
Blog Entries: 35
Thanks: 16,591
Thanked 16,233 Times in 8,207 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

I pray. I hope. I think.

I hope you will find a peaceful situation for your son. I'm confused at how teachers respond to kids with ADD.

You seem like a deeply concerned mom, who's trying to do the best for her son.
__________________
Read three reasons to never share your ADD here.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
.Hope. (10-25-11), BR549 (10-20-11)
  #10  
Old 10-20-11, 09:53 PM
mcnay1 mcnay1 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 167
Thanks: 243
Thanked 179 Times in 96 Posts
mcnay1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcnay1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

I do agree that email can make teachers leery because of the noted documentation, but I hate that is the way it has to be. Teachers have one of the most important and hardest job out there and parents should be a part of it and support their child's teacher as much as possible. .Hope. seems like an involved parent who is concerned with her son; a parent who wants the best for her child and who is willing to do what is needed for him to be successful. The teacher should take full advantage of the support, but the support needs to go both ways. Documentation is a necessary evil for sure, but the communication has got to be there in order for there to be documentation. I just hope it can all work out. I would have the same emotions if i was in .Hope.'s shoes.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcnay1 For This Useful Post:
.Hope. (10-25-11), BR549 (10-20-11), ginniebean (10-21-11), namazu (10-20-11)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
half of my adderall was stolen today cualexander Adderall 36 12-10-14 12:31 AM
Strattera side effects and next steps...seeing doc today TXRebelGrrrl Strattera 22 11-22-04 04:42 PM
Parent Teacher Conferences jordiemom General Parenting Issues 1 11-12-04 05:34 PM
New here today... Amy AmyNelson New Member Introductions 5 11-02-04 06:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums