ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 10-20-11, 11:44 AM

.Hope. will become famous soon enough
We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

[ Which I still have no clue what time it is scheduled for since she has yet to reply to me] And I am feeling so many emotions right now. I feel frustrated, anxious, nervous, and impatient about all of it. We are going to ask for him to be evaluated and after meeting with C's doctor last week he thinks an evaluation needs to be conducted as well.

The thing is there are so many factors combined that all together it is seriously impacting C. He has always struggled in school, not in the sense that he's not smart enough but he requires constant redirection, directions explained to him, and extra time and effort from his teachers. In the past that was never an issue once they understood that he really was trying. His 1st grade teacher loved him to pieces and she pretty much took him under her wing and he did great that year.

Well now he's falling way behind and it is just such a drastic change. This will be his first year doing EOG's and I am very concerned about him. I'm also concerned about the teacher-student and teacher-parent relationships right now because I never hear anything from her and it's constantly me reaching out to her. I don't get any kind of reports on how he's doing, no study guides and materials, and then he fails his tests. I even asked her, "How can he study vocabulary without any study guide?" She replied, "Oh we study at school." Which makes no sense to me because she herself has said he doesn't pay attention in class and has trouble focusing. I even got him tutors but neither the tutors or I can help without having the proper materials and knowledge of what he's learning. Simply telling me "bones" doesn't give me a lot to go on. I know it's not just C struggling though because in one email she sent out it stated, "most of the students aren't where they need to be right now but we're short on time and must move on!" Wow. I know there are guidelines and a schedule to be met but I'm flabbergasted as to how it's beneficial to move on if half the class isn't prepared to move on. They're going to fall behind! And then kids like C who struggle anyways end up slipping through the cracks which is what is happening.

I've tried talking to her in emails about his problems and in one email I opened up about all of it and it was rather lengthy. I was trying to reach out but received this as a reply, "you have a good day as well." That was it. Really? However, she was rather upset with me because I sent a note with C requesting a meeting with her and after a week of no response I contacted her about it. Needless to say she didn't like that very much and became snippy with me. Fine. Be snippy with me because I'm not going to back off when it comes to my son's education.

I spoke with C's doctor last week about all of this and he was just as appalled about it as I was. He recommended I go to the principal or guidance counselor which will probably happen after today. Honestly, I feel like I have two options.

1# Start the process of getting C an IEP or 504 in place.

2# Homeschool him if I can't get the school on the same page.

Granted, I don't want to home school him because he loves to interact with others but if I can't get help and it comes down to homeschooling or him failing then I'm going with homeschooling.

Anyways...wish us luck and any advice, tips, or prayers you have to spare are greatly appreciated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to .Hope. For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-20-11), MotherADHD (10-22-11), namazu (10-20-11), pechemignonne (10-20-11)
Old 10-20-11, 11:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,261 Times in 11,730 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: We have a meeting with our son's teacher today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hope. View Post
[ Which I still have no clue what time it is scheduled for since she has yet to reply to me] And I am feeling so many emotions right now. I feel frustrated, anxious, nervous, and impatient about all of it. We are going to ask for him to be evaluated and after meeting with C's doctor last week he thinks an evaluation needs to be conducted as well.

The thing is there are so many factors combined that all together it is seriously impacting C. He has always struggled in school, not in the sense that he's not smart enough but he requires constant redirection, directions explained to him, and extra time and effort from his teachers. In the past that was never an issue once they understood that he really was trying. His 1st grade teacher loved him to pieces and she pretty much took him under her wing and he did great that year.

Well now he's falling way behind and it is just such a drastic change. This will be his first year doing EOG's and I am very concerned about him. I'm also concerned about the teacher-student and teacher-parent relationships right now because I never hear anything from her and it's constantly me reaching out to her. I don't get any kind of reports on how he's doing, no study guides and materials, and then he fails his tests. I even asked her, "How can he study vocabulary without any study guide?" She replied, "Oh we study at school." Which makes no sense to me because she herself has said he doesn't pay attention in class and has trouble focusing. I even got him tutors but neither the tutors or I can help without having the proper materials and knowledge of what he's learning. Simply telling me "bones" doesn't give me a lot to go on. I know it's not just C struggling though because in one email she sent out it stated, "most of the students aren't where they need to be right now but we're short on time and must move on!" Wow. I know there are guidelines and a schedule to be met but I'm flabbergasted as to how it's beneficial to move on if half the class isn't prepared to move on. They're going to fall behind! And then kids like C who struggle anyways end up slipping through the cracks which is what is happening.

I've tried talking to her in emails about his problems and in one email I opened up about all of it and it was rather lengthy. I was trying to reach out but received this as a reply, "you have a good day as well." That was it. Really? However, she was rather upset with me because I sent a note with C requesting a meeting with her and after a week of no response I contacted her about it. Needless to say she didn't like that very much and became snippy with me. Fine. Be snippy with me because I'm not going to back off when it comes to my son's education.

I spoke with C's doctor last week about all of this and he was just as appalled about it as I was. He recommended I go to the principal or guidance counselor which will probably happen after today. Honestly, I feel like I have two options.

1# Start the process of getting C an IEP or 504 in place.

2# Homeschool him if I can't get the school on the same page.

Granted, I don't want to home school him because he loves to interact with others but if I can't get help and it comes down to homeschooling or him failing then I'm going with homeschooling.

Anyways...wish us luck and any advice, tips, or prayers you have to spare are greatly appreciated.
Good luck with everything, getting the teacher/staff on board, getting accomodations for your son, all of it.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
.Hope. (10-20-11), BR549 (10-20-11), Dizfriz (10-20-11)
Old 10-20-11, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Good luck with everything, getting the teacher/staff on board, getting accomodations for your son, all of it.

Thank you, I've heard this process can be a giant rigmarole but it's worth it if he gets help.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-11, 11:59 AM

Thanked 21,929 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely and put it in writing that you would like your child tested and you would like an IEP in place.

I have sent you a private message.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
.Hope. (10-20-11), Dizfriz (10-20-11), namazu (10-20-11)
Old 10-20-11, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
Absolutely and put it in writing that you would like your child tested and you would like an IEP in place.

I have sent you a private message.
I will and I'm going to have C's doctor write up a recommendation as well. Hopefully it helps.

Thank you for the PM. Off to read it now!
The Following User Says Thank You to .Hope. For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (10-20-11)
Old 10-20-11, 12:38 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,039 Times in 14,222 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Yes put the request in writing. As far as the teachers behavior goes I personally would go over her head to the principal. There is no excuse for not providing the material. There is no excuse for telling you he has troubles but not offering suggestions on how she makes accommodations. There is no excuse for lack of communication. In order for any student to be successful adhd or not those things must be done. I would write an email to the principal along with sending the emails from the teachers. I would also ask the principal to be at the meeting.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (10-20-11), RedHairedWitch (10-20-11)
Old 10-20-11, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

mcnay1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcnay1 has a spectacular aura about

I would be absolutely furious if one of my children's teacher's treated me the way that this teacher has treated you. I get angry when an email isnt responded to in a couple of days, so I show up in class to get my questions/concerns addressed. You have shown great restraint, it seems, and I hope from this meeting the process can begin and your son can receive the help that he needs.

I think a meeting with the principal should be scheduled as well (at the very least a letter). i bet he/she would not like to hear the kind of response that the teacher gave you about having to "move on" even though many of the students werent ready to do so.

Good luck with the rest of this! Way to stand up for your son...
Old 10-20-11, 03:16 PM

Thanked 21,929 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnay1 View Post
I would be absolutely furious if one of my children's teacher's treated me the way that this teacher has treated you. I get angry when an email isnt responded to in a couple of days, so I show up in class to get my questions/concerns addressed. You have shown great restraint, it seems, and I hope from this meeting the process can begin and your son can receive the help that he needs.

I think a meeting with the principal should be scheduled as well (at the very least a letter). i bet he/she would not like to hear the kind of response that the teacher gave you about having to "move on" even though many of the students werent ready to do so.

Good luck with the rest of this! Way to stand up for your son...
Teachers are leery about answering questions in e-mail because it is documentation. However, you can follow up with an e-mail after a conversation by saying, "did I understand you correctly and then list off what the teacher said.....

even no response, you've documented the 'face time' conversation.

Documentation is often an unfortunate necessity.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-20-11), BR549 (10-20-11), MotherADHD (10-22-11), namazu (10-20-11)
Old 10-20-11, 04:11 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,233 Times in 8,207 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

I pray. I hope. I think.

I hope you will find a peaceful situation for your son. I'm confused at how teachers respond to kids with ADD.

You seem like a deeply concerned mom, who's trying to do the best for her son.
.Hope. (10-25-11), BR549 (10-20-11)
Old 10-20-11, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

mcnay1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcnay1 has a spectacular aura about

I do agree that email can make teachers leery because of the noted documentation, but I hate that is the way it has to be. Teachers have one of the most important and hardest job out there and parents should be a part of it and support their child's teacher as much as possible. .Hope. seems like an involved parent who is concerned with her son; a parent who wants the best for her child and who is willing to do what is needed for him to be successful. The teacher should take full advantage of the support, but the support needs to go both ways. Documentation is a necessary evil for sure, but the communication has got to be there in order for there to be documentation. I just hope it can all work out. I would have the same emotions if i was in .Hope.'s shoes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcnay1 For This Useful Post:
.Hope. (10-25-11), BR549 (10-20-11), ginniebean (10-21-11), namazu (10-20-11)