ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-04, 06:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Dreameralive_sky has disabled reputation
Lightbulb My new methods to overcome procrastinations - ADHD

Hi guys

I am not sure if anyone had actually ever mentioned this before. But i find this method useful for me. Today i was just wondering what and why i am procrastinating. Reason being the task is not easy..etc. ALot of other lame reasons. Then i also tend to get distracted like switching on computer or sleeping when i am supposed to study. So someone told me i should try to study in the libary. But the library is not near my house and it is a hassle so cannot really find the motivation to go there study on consistency. So..i come up with the following theory..
If u want to play computer while u are studying, you may want to make opening the computer a hassle, a pain. Like example: I took out the computer wire and hide it away. So if i wanna play i will need to find the wire out. Or you can ask your family to hide the wire away. Or u can do it yourself but i have to write on a paper because i will forget where i put it after some time had passed. And this method effectively prevented me from using and i just manage to stick to my method of studying for 6 hours non-stop except for a few minutes breaks. You will have to find what is your limit first. For me my limit is usually about 6 to 8 hours. I cannot go further. The further i have gone is studying 10 hours non-stop and it was because the exam was the next day and hell i was stressed! HAHA.

Another thing is my bed. I want to sleep when i am studying in my room. I took a box of stones the ones u used for aquarium but just that i did not use. So they are clean. And i used them to form a sentence , " Study or u FAIL " By this i have prevented myself from sleeping. It is not against my morale to go and take the stones up and sleep on my bed like that simply because i know i will be guilty. How can i knowing i will fail and yet be able to sleep when i know i already had slept enough the last night.

If you don't use stones, you can pour needles, pins, thumbtacks on your bed. but you must know how many needles you have poured on your bed because you will remove the exact amount at night when u will need to sleep. Or else you will blame me for having holes all over. I think this method will work well for me if by the time i pick all the pins up i think i will not feel not like sleeping. It is so chao and nuisance to have to pick pins, thumbtacks up before i can sleep on my bed. So i would rather carry on my study.

The basic rule about this is " doing something to the thing that distract you and make it more hassle and chaotic than the thing you want yourself to do" I know i am not making myself quite clear because after 6 hours studying i am hungry and tired.

Do leave messages below of what you think about this method. Thanks. Gotta go back to my books. Bye.

Last edited by Ian; 09-30-04 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: Title change to include ADHD
Old 09-26-04, 10:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Does it works?
Old 09-27-04, 12:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Hmm, I don't think needles, pins, and thumbtacks on the bed are such a good idea. It did kind of remind me of how I would clean my room and put the stuff on my bed so it would be harder for me to stop without taking care of the stuff on the bed. (Ok, if I was REALLY tired anyway, I'd just sleep on the floor, but most of the time it worked.)

One question, though: what if you had to write a paper and needed to use the computer for that?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-04, 12:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Err
Okay lets say if the computer is for serious matters by all means use. If let say u just wanna relax and play awhile it is okay to use. Just remember that after u done, remove the cable and hide it somewhere. IF u still cannot stop yourself from playing the computer, remove the mouse throw it to the kitty on the street or at home. and the keyboard down the rubbish chute. LOL. I was just kidding. Maybe you can hide them somewhere further like in your parent's room or put it in the dog's kennel. And if you need to play, then how troublesome it is to have to clean the keyboard and use it. LOL....... Some silly ideas here..but maybe it will work!
Old 09-27-04, 04:38 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

So what others think about this? Oh today i gotta hide away the mouse as well and pretend by telling myself i don't know where it is. Because somehow today i am so tired but yet i have only done a little of revision. I still have more to do before my exams. And suddenly while studying i kept wanting to play the computer. Wow and i am here..but for only a while..Maybe i shall hide my keyboard away? I think this forum is so interesting that i keep wanting to log on and see if anyone responded to my thread and reading others' threads..oh no..kinda distracting me from my revisions..hmmm. Maybe i can give myself a shedule on when i can log on and when i must study.
Wanna sleep..i am tired..ZZzz
Old 09-27-04, 06:44 PM
Jr Member

Giuli is on a distinguished road
No, doesnt work for me.
I had problems with my tv... i have taken the tv away. I had problems with always listening to music as a way of escaping real work... i have taken my music system away. I have problems with the internet but i cant take it away... i need it to work! Arrghh... What i do is to block all sites on my firewall so i am not able to visit anything that is not related to work.
Hours ago, i had no tv, no music and no internet and guess what? I still cant work I am here, right in front of my computer and cant work. I cant concentrate I hate this and dont know what to do. I am affraid of going to a psychiatrist and say that i think i have ADHD because he will surely think i am self diagnosing and doctors dont like that.
Old 09-27-04, 07:55 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Hmmm maybe it canot work is because you don't like the work you are doing. I am now in a great course i like despite i am not doing well in school. But i will want to work harder and give up my distractions. Perhaps this is not the job for you. Maybe because you really believe you have ADD and you feel this is what disabling you from being normal so you cannot concentrate. I do feel that if you feel distracted and cannot work your work properly for a prolonged period of time that is affecting your lifestyle, perhaps it is time to seek medical advice. Or perhaps you are in the situation like me, i have this problem once in a while, it is not stress but maybe some other emotional knots you have in your heart that is distracting you. Perhaps family issues or relationships?
It is alright i know how you feel, i also self-diagnosed myself and i am also afraid of seeing a psychiatrist. Especially in my country having this condition is not well understanded and accepted.
I also believe that once we start to think we have adhd or add without the necessary proper medical issues approved by medical perssonels, maybe the self diagnosis is not good because we only tend to worry ourselves more. Self diagnosis yourself with add is not really good. Because firstly it is a form of negative thinking and it have the ability to make us feel depressed and secondly it may not be present in you. It could be some other problems or disorders or maybe you are just going through a stressful period of time. You know too much stress = inability to concentrate.
Make a time shedule, but though i feel it is not easy to follow on it. I tried the past few days and didn't think it was easy to keep to it and really understand my revisions. I read about black chocolates can motivate you in some threads here. Maybe u want to try it?
Okay i must go now. Hope to hear from you.