ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-11, 10:09 AM

entrepreneurKid will become famous soon enough
Tips & Tricks for ADD - What are some?

I've noticed some of you have some really good advice "Tips & Tricks" kinda stuff.

Examples:
1. Someone said they use an electronic Calender to keep track of what they have to do.
2. That same person said they use Google Calender & Set it up to Text Message them on certain time/day to remind them of something (Genius!)
3. Someone said when they're in that extremely lazy mode, they will "Trick them selves" into "doing it." Their example was- they had to wash the dishes. But were just way to lazy & was laying down. And said, ok- I will just go put this cup in the sink then, I will at least do that. So they got up, put the cup in the sink- & once they were there- just washed the cup anyway. Then said ahh.. might as well & just washed the dishes. But Tricked them self into doing that.

Great advice! Anymore?
The Following User Says Thank You to entrepreneurKid For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (10-25-11)
Old 10-25-11, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tips & Tricks for ADD - What are some?

I learned this from my husband...

If you use reminder pop-ups or alarm pop-ups, train yourself to do whatever you are being reminded of BEFORE dismissing the pop-up window.

Check out the thread on Mind Mapping. Tools like 2Do can be great if you will train yourself to use them.

Externalize cues as much as you can. I have a pop-up on the 24th of every month that tells me to pay the bills at 9:00 a.m. That reminder is set to go off every hour until I log on to Bill Pay and do the task. I have a sticky note on my purse right now reminding me that I need to get gas and go to the bank. The note will stay on my purse or on my dashboard until the task is complete.

I recall one guy here who used his refrigerator as a whiteboard and listed the things he needed to do on it. He then took a picture of the fridge as he left the house with his phone.

My keys get clipped to my purse unless they are in use. EVERY time, ALL the time. My purse is in the same location ALL the time. Nothing else goes in that spot.

Consistency is your friend.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (10-25-11)
Old 10-25-11, 05:49 PM

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

The electronic organiser and self asskicking service seems to help me.

Mental exercises like brain training online or in books is a good way to help with your memory too.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (10-25-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-11, 03:46 AM

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

1. Colour-code everything.
2. Lists! Colour-coded lists!
3. Have people remind you of stuff you'll likely forget
4. Reward yourself for *finishing* things
5. Automatic billing. For everything. (Providing you have a stable income).
ADHDTigger (10-26-11)
Old 10-26-11, 04:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud of

I feel like I really shouldn't be giving advice here, since I'm feeling completely unorganized and scattered right now but..... there are some things I've learned that work for me.

1.) Simplify Everything In Your Life! Get rid of the clutter in your house and car, if you don't use something regularly and don't need it throw it away or give it away. Simplify your daily routine, get rid of activities or people that drag you down or eat away precious energy and focus.

2.) Keep Keys, Cell Phones, other important items in the same place every day so that it becomes routine.

3.) Keep your appointments with your psychiatrist, therapist, doctor... etc... (I definitely notice that regular appointments with my psychiatrist help keep me from falling off the metaphorical ADHD cliff)

4.) If you take meds take them at the same time every day, also keep them in a safe place, perhaps a safe if necessary!

5.) Make sure you eat enough and drink enough water, it's easy to forget this when you're taking stimulants. I have to force myself to eat sometimes because I'll literally forget. Find a eating schedule that works for you (I find that eating smaller portions of food more frequently works better for me than just eating two or three bigger meals a day.

6.) Exercise in some way, I like to walk around downtown or by the beach. At the very least make yourself leave the house if you don't have to. Sex is good for my ADD brain and I'm sure it is for many others as well.

7.) Make an effort to socialize, stay in contact with your friends and family... or at least your friends if you can't stand your family. I notice a big difference in my mood and productivity after a simple cup of coffee and a conversation with a friend.

8.) Always keep your receipts when you shop, since many of us buy things impulsively...

9.) Have a goal everyday, some day my goal is simply to get out of bed and take a shower and go for a walk if I'm feeling down.

10.) Don't dwell on the past, let go of any guilt you're holding on to, if you mess up (like I often do) and succumb to some vice or behavior you are trying to avoid just move on and try not to do it again the next day.

11.) Allow yourself to be completely lazy and do nothing once a week, for me I need a day or two of doing nothing to recharge and appreciate what is in my life.

"simplicity, simplicity, simplicity" ... think of yourself like an ipod... (The new Steve Jobs biography is sitting in front of me as I'm typing this)

Now I'm going to try and listen to my own advice as well as everybody elses, I just listed things that have worked for me.

7.)
“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,...someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself!”
-Mitch Hedberg

“My nephew has HDADHD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's unbelievably clear.”
-Steven Wright

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDinHDefgHi?! For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (10-26-11)
Old 10-27-11, 12:58 AM

ladykrimson has a spectacular aura aboutladykrimson has a spectacular aura about

Here is a great piece of advice that I once received.

If you feel the impulse to purchase something that you know you shouldn't be purchasing, go ahead and throw it in the shopping cart. Now take a good, long walk around the store...for at least 10 minutes. If you get to the register and you still want the item, purchase it. After 10 minutes, it is no longer an impulse.

This works like a charm for me and helps me to differentiate between impulses and items that I really want.
Old 10-27-11, 09:31 AM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold

I do the same thing when shopping. I will chuck something in the cart but by the time I get to the checkout I have talked myself out of the item being a want versus a need.
Old 10-27-11, 09:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

Slapstick is on a distinguished road

I write lists. I have that luxury when I'm at my desk during the day and can write stuff down (usually stuff I need to do after work -- like going to the store to pick up certain items, pay a bill, etc.).

It sucks when I'm driving or out somewhere and I have no paper and pen handy. I will come up with an idea or a blog article or remember something I need to do, and then that thought goes away and I'll forget about the idea completely or the forget to do the task until 11 p.m. that night, after I am already in bed.

If I really, really need to remember something and I can't write it down, I email it to myself. I have a smart phone and often times, emailing myself something (an idea, or something I need to do) has been very helpful.
Old 10-27-11, 10:07 AM
Contributor

alongroad has a spectacular aura aboutalongroad has a spectacular aura about

My Calendar is stored on my computer and sync'd with my phone. If it isn't in my calendar, it doesn't exist. I have been doing this for the better part of 8 years.

When I am at work, when I answer the phone, I grab a pen and pad and start making notes. Who I am talking to and topic. Incase I forget/drift mid-way. I also AVOID talking to people when I am busy as I cannot take the notes, I simply call them back if they leave a message. If they don't leave a message, I consider their phone call null and void

When I am doing stuff at home (dishes, put away clothes, etc etc etc) I will do ONE TASK at a time and say COMPLETE before I move to the next, as they are random and can keep me hopping for a while. If I don't I end up slamming my head off cabinet doors because I forget to close them. This is NEW so it is a work in progress.

Otherwise, lack of committing to things seems to work best so my mind and time is self-adjustable to my mood. Very important. eg: yesterday I did one task at home all night (re-wired some stuff) and became a couch potatoe afterwards.