ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 09-26-04, 07:58 PM

volcom is on a distinguished road
new here some help with meds

I am 19 years old and am in my second year at college. I was diagnosed with adhd when I was 15 (past due) and never took anything for it until last year. I tried conserta for a week and had trouble urination, sleeping, felt jittery etc. so decided to stop. Probably way to soon as i know the effects can die down.
Now I am on my 5th day of strattera and I hate it so far. I am always tired and seem depressed. Not much seems funny anymore and I get mad more that usualy. (my temper is bad enough anyways).
Its hard to try new meds because i am in a hard semester in school and really need to be ontop of things. The main problem I want taken care of is focus. I feel hazy normaly and take longer to process information. I do well in school though without medication but if I was able to study etc for more than an hour at a time and my mind was more clear it would be great.
I also have no problem with hyperactivity. I mean I can have impulses but I am socialy fine and am not running around everywhere. I got/still get hurt a lot snowboarding and playing other sports. I am a very good snowboarder and maybe part of the reason I get hurt is ADHD related.
I just want a medication that will help my focus without making me tired or less likely to workout etc.
On one more note I have had palaptations before, mostly during puberty (been done for years) I had an eccocardiogram (sp) etc and they found nothing alarming but its still a constderation when thinking about taking stimulants. I know this post is random and not well thought out but just loooking for some help with sugestions. Ask any questions you want I will be checking the forum quite often. Thank you all.
Old 10-01-04, 08:18 PM

volcom is on a distinguished road
I decided to get off of it. I can make it through without medications so decided to do so.
Old 10-04-04, 04:48 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Has your doctor tried you on stimulants? Ritalin is ususally the first thing they try. Unless you have moderate to serious heart problems, the doses that a dr prescribes shouldn't pose a serious risk - NOTE: I am NOT a medical professional of any kind, so listen to your Dr's advise! Often a Dr will do a "heart conduction" test (electrocardiogram or ECG?) - at least that's what my dr did, I've had the same test as part of a couple of drug studies I've participated in - this is used to detect the type of often "hidden" conjenital defect that can cause the heart to suddenly stop in otherwise healthy fit people unlucky enough to be born with it.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-10, 07:00 PM
Jr Member

cisbrane is on a distinguished road
Re: new here some help with meds

I'm kinda in a similar situation as you...
I'm in college but i'm 22 and far in my studies. Recently my workload has become unbearable; I can't study for more than 30-45min and easily am distracted... This used to be ok... not now... (i was off meds fro 3.5 years)

I started back on my Ritalin... low dose of 10mg. Technically Concerta uses the same stimulant compound as Ritalin but it is long lasting where Ritalin starts quickly but dies quickly.

Now that I've started again, I do have trouble sleeping, but I will get used to it again. The benefits out way the downsides.. If you feel jittery, try to ask for a lower dosage and cut out caffenie and if you drink energy drinks drop those. Hell, energy drinks make me feel MORE jittery than Ritalin!

Every one responds different to meds, you can try other stimulants such as Adderall too.
Old 10-28-10, 07:59 PM

jrigone is on a distinguished road
Re: new here some help with meds

I would suggest look into vyvance it is new on the market (july of 2005 ( I think) it comes in a 12 hr extended release I know for sure. If I were you I would research it ask your dr. and make sure your insuriance will cover it. My daughter is the one taking it on my wifes insurance it was over $100 a month now on my insurance it is a fraction of the cost. I agree with the last person though check with your dr see what he/she says research the different meds and make sure your what ever you decide is covered so you don't get suprized like we did. I wish you luck with this