ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-27-04, 04:49 AM

redhed is on a distinguished road
Question Adderrall: what symptoms are most common?

Hi, I'm new here. I'm 38 and began taking the stuff a month ago (now 20 mg extended release), was just then diagnosed with this crazy ADD. Still adjusting to the idea. But, now a lot of things are finally starting to make sense, in an unbelievable kind of way.

I also have chronic daily migraines, chronic fatigue, (ugh, and NOW this...) and take too many meds (one is too many, IMO) as it is, so I'm trying to determine which meds cause which symptoms.

I've got a friendly doctor, but she spends all of 5 minutes to answer the bazillion Q's I have. So I've bought a lot of books...

Also, anyone ever suffer headaches from adderral, or similar such meds for ADD?

Are there any herbs, or vitamins, that are particuarly helpful to take with this stuff, since it looks like I'll be on it for a while now? (Such as B vitamin, or something for liver support...any good reference sites, for ADD supplement/ alternative nutritional/vitamin/etc. support, other than from companies just trying to sell something?

Thanks, what a great forum.

Redhead
Old 09-27-04, 10:31 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Headaches are a fairly common side effect at first - I think due to the increase in blood pressure the drug causes. The headaches usually go away, like most side effects.
Old 02-11-05, 02:36 AM

olga is on a distinguished road
headaches

The headaches could also be dehydration. You should drink plenty of water to flush things out and move things along. I did this and have no more headaches
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-08, 08:43 PM

ADDBP is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderrall: what symptoms are most common?

I have been taking Vyvance 100mg (70mg in AM, 30mg at 1pm) for 2 1/2 months. Previously I was prescribed Adderall XR 100mg for a several years. I have liked the switch from Adderall XR to Vyvance until a few weeks ago. I began experiencing severe stomach pain first at night, and more recently day and night. I have also been extremely constipated for the last 1 1/2. I tried lowering the dose to 70mg. Still more of the same and 70mg does not provide enough coverage.
Long story short...after ExLax, MOM, some liquid in a bottle that looks like Sprite I feel the constipation is relieved but the stomach ache still persists.
I feel like Vyvance has been a nice change from Adderral XR but I am forced to begin taking Adderral XR starting tomorrow.
I really hope that the stomach aches will go away completely, and that being regular won't be a problem. I am concerned about the transition back to Adderral and hope that the change will not cause difficulties for me at work or school. Not sure why I am leaving this post. But I haven't been able to find much info on why Vyvance causes such stomach pain and thought I would share my experience.
Old 10-16-08, 08:50 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

Adderall gave me nasty headaches. Especially if I didn't eat very regularly and drink lots of water. But it still gave me headaches regularly.

I switched to Dexedrine. It doesn't give me headaches at all.
Before I know what it will say

- "Crooked Teeth" ~ Deathcab for Cutie

Old 10-19-08, 12:20 PM

Siren48 is on a distinguished road

I have pretty much the same combo of issues you have and the adderall triggered bad migraines for me for the first week or so. I found that eating a really big breakfast and then forcing myself to eat something every couple of hours or so even if i wasn't hungry really helped. Eventually they went away. I still have a handful of weird symptoms, but fortunately the headaches only come around on a normal basis and not because of the adderall now.
Old 10-19-08, 01:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,013 Times in 508 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

I've had a few very short-duration headaches (the localized, stabbing pain kind), but nothing that even lasts long enough to take anything for.

Lack of appetite is the main thing I notice, and when I do get hungry and eat, a few bits is about all I want. I do try to get down a decent dinner, but eating a lot at one sitting is not an option for me on this drug.

I've also about tripled my water intake - and I drank a lot of water to begin with.

Overall, I'm getting very few side effects in relation to the huge benefit I'm getting.

RE: Liver support - milk thistle is fantastic for liver issues. (Although I don't believe that Adderall affects the liver. Could be wrong about this...anyone?)
Old 10-20-08, 03:11 AM

marcykid will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDBP View Post
I have been taking Vyvance 100mg (70mg in AM, 30mg at 1pm) for 2 1/2 months. Previously I was prescribed Adderall XR 100mg for a several years. I have liked the switch from Adderall XR to Vyvance until a few weeks ago. I began experiencing severe stomach pain first at night, and more recently day and night. I have also been extremely constipated for the last 1 1/2. I tried lowering the dose to 70mg. Still more of the same and 70mg does not provide enough coverage.
Long story short...after ExLax, MOM, some liquid in a bottle that looks like Sprite I feel the constipation is relieved but the stomach ache still persists.
I feel like Vyvance has been a nice change from Adderral XR but I am forced to begin taking Adderral XR starting tomorrow.
I really hope that the stomach aches will go away completely, and that being regular won't be a problem. I am concerned about the transition back to Adderral and hope that the change will not cause difficulties for me at work or school. Not sure why I am leaving this post. But I haven't been able to find much info on why Vyvance causes such stomach pain and thought I would share my experience.
Mkay, that's too high a dosage. Are you sure you're actually in control of your meds right now, or in control of anything?... 100mg of XR is the kind of dosing that should either kill you instantly, or give you moxy enough to post on this site totally in Italic. Either way... a bad idea.

Those "stomach pains" are from taking a rediculously high dosage of amphetamine. So... um.... stop.
Old 10-24-08, 12:13 AM

ADDBP is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Adderrall: what symptoms are most common?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcykid View Post
Mkay, that's too high a dosage. Are you sure you're actually in control of your meds right now, or in control of anything?... 100mg of XR is the kind of dosing that should either kill you instantly, or give you moxy enough to post on this site totally in Italic. Either way... a bad idea.

Those "stomach pains" are from taking a rediculously high dosage of amphetamine. So... um.... stop.
Eh? What are you saying? You don't like Italics? OK, since you live in Toronto, a place I lived for 2 years, and frequent on occasional business trips, I'm going to go ahead and take off the Italics.
But seriously, as to you questioning if I am in control I would have to say yes. I control a multi-million dollar wireless sales company that I built from the ground up in the western U.S. In addition I am wrapping up an MBA program with top grades. I'd also say that for someone (31) with severe ADD coupled with Bi-Polar Disorder my Dr's and I have been pretty on top of the meds, which took about 1.5 of the last 5 years to get right.
Turns out the "stomach pains" where indeed caused by the Vyvance which changed the acid levels in my stomach ultimately leading to an Anemia situation. Off to an Endoscopy for me. But I did actually cut back to 90mg getting back to XR, but find I only take 50mg each day because that seems to be adequate coverage at this point...which is great, especially being that I am a big guy.
If it were up to me I wouldn't be on any meds at all, but unfortunately without them I become practically immobilized. I just thought I would be able to share my experiences without getting criticized.