ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-11, 01:43 AM

mother1960 is on a distinguished road
Newbie-mom of 17 year old recently diagnosed with Inattentive ADD

Hello.

I was recently directed to this forum from a friend. I have spent the evening browsing around and this looks to be a very informative and supportive forum.

A little background: My son, who is now 17, has had problems with grades/completion of school work, etc for several years now. His freshman and sophomore year he went willingly to tutoring every morning before school. The first half of his sophomore year was a complete disaster. He went out for One Acts, which is a very intense play production that required a lot of practice time. Before One Acts was over, basketball season started, which is his first love. Unfortunately the coaches couldn't rearrange their practices so they didn't overlap--so my son tried to divide his time between the two. Soon the grades started to slip. If you have failing grades in 2 classes, you become ineligible. My son was ineligible for One Acts 2 weeks before their first big competition. The One Acts coach was not very understanding of my son's situation and basically told him there was no reason he couldn't handle everything expected of him--her daughter did all that and more, blah, blah, blah. So he got upset and quit One Acts, which had to happen anyway as he was ineligible and had to be replaced. It was a very stressful time. So of course he is ineligible for basketball--this hurts him. He hardly played all year.

At the first parent teacher conferences of his sophomore year, we heard the same thing we always hear. He doesn't apply himself. He is so smart, he is just lazy. He doesn't do his homework or he doesn't turn it in. But he is such a bright, funny, personable kid, never causes any problems. I even ask the tutor if she thought he could have some kind of a learning disability. I mean every year, we are waiting for him to mature, or gain focus, or start to care or......she says no, he's just overwhelmed right now.
After the conferences we talk to our son. I ask him why. Why don't you do your homework, why don't you remember to turn it in, why over and over I sound like a broken record for years. He says he doesn't know. He does try, sometimes he just catches his mind wandering. He's having trouble with the basketball plays......this is when I know something must be wrong with him. Having trouble with something he loves?
Thanksgiving we are with family playing dominoes. His cousins and aunt try to explain the game to him several different ways. I'm just observing. He tries to play, keeps messing up and gets made fun of. Finally he quits. I tell me husband the next day.....something is wrong with our son.
I start looking on the Internet and I find a checklist of ADD symptoms--Inattentive. I always thought kids with ADD were hyper. My son is anything but. But there were all his symptoms right there. I told my husband, I think he has ADD.
It was several weeks before we could get him in to be evaluated, but when we finally me the doctor, he was like, yep, he has ADD and the meds should really help him.
I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I started crying. It was a mixture of relief and guilt for not figuring this out sooner.
Anyway, the meds did help. Immensely. He did end up dropping an Algebra 2 class because he was drowning. But his GPA went from a 1.7 to a 3.3 by the end of the year!
I know this is already a really long post, and I appreciate anyone who is still reading! He started out taking Methylin ER 20mg. We had to increase this to two more doses during school, it just didn't seem to last. We're still trying to find the best med that we can afford. We just switched to Dexamphetamine and trying to find the lowest effective dose.
I have some questions concerning ADD and teenagers recently diagnosed. It seems hard to know what behaviors are caused by ADD and what is just normal teenage boy stuff. This child is so stubborn and hard headed. Will say or do anything to get his way and won't take no for an answer! It can be really frustrating at times. On the other hand he is loving and kind, and as far as I can tell does not do drugs or drink. He obeys the rules (although he tries to bend and manipulate and bargain constantly). He still has a lot of trouble managing his time and stuff he needs to do, plus he seems so tired all of the time.
Anyway, I'll quit for now. Thank you for your time.
The Following User Says Thank You to mother1960 For This Useful Post:
weregoins (02-26-12)
Old 10-29-11, 04:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,148 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie-mom of 17 year old recently diagnosed with Inattentive ADD

Welcome to the forums!

I hope that you'll look around a bit. There is some great info here and supportive members

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
mother1960 (10-29-11)
Old 10-29-11, 05:33 AM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!!

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
mother1960 (10-29-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-11, 05:37 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,792 Times in 8,903 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Welcome to the neighborhood!
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
mother1960 (10-29-11)
Old 10-29-11, 07:59 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,272 Times in 14,936 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! You're being a good mom and your diligence will pay off in the long run.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mother1960 (10-29-11)
Old 10-29-11, 10:06 AM

Thanked 8,493 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums. As a kindness to the learning disabilities here, please break up you posts with lots of double spaces.

Like this.

Cheers.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
mother1960 (10-29-11)
Old 10-29-11, 03:18 PM
Contributor

ChicharitoFan14 will become famous soon enough

Heya welcome to the forum
Hope you will find it helpful
The Following User Says Thank You to ChicharitoFan14 For This Useful Post:
mother1960 (10-29-11)
Old 10-29-11, 04:33 PM

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

Hello & welcome to the forums.There is a lot of great information here & lots of very helpful members are here as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy For This Useful Post:
mother1960 (10-29-11)
Old 10-31-11, 07:11 AM

PilotWife82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother1960 View Post
I have some questions concerning ADD and teenagers recently diagnosed. It seems hard to know what behaviors are caused by ADD and what is just normal teenage boy stuff. This child is so stubborn and hard headed. Will say or do anything to get his way and won't take no for an answer! It can be really frustrating at times. On the other hand he is loving and kind, and as far as I can tell does not do drugs or drink. He obeys the rules (although he tries to bend and manipulate and bargain constantly). He still has a lot of trouble managing his time and stuff he needs to do, plus he seems so tired all of the time.
First of all, welcome! You seem like an amazing mother who is willing to do whatever is possible to see that her son succeeds. That is wonderful!

Second of all, distinguishing ADD from "normal teenage stuff" can be quite tricky! Not only am I an ADDer, but I have a 10 year old daughter with ADD as well. I can tell you from experience that it's a never-ending learning experience! Even though many books are written about kids and teens with ADD, I can say with confidence that every situation is different, and unfortunately no book is going to be able to tell you how to distinguish the two. For example, him being tired all the time is most likely related to the ADD, however it can also be related to late nights. So it's never clear cut!

I'm sure that you'll be able to get the advice you seek here on the forums as everyone is very nice. If you ever need someone to talk to, my door is always open!

"
The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas.”
—Linus Pauling
The Following User Says Thank You to PilotWife82 For This Useful Post:
mother1960 (03-03-12)
Old 02-26-12, 07:46 PM

weregoins is on a distinguished road

Wow, I feel like I am reading my own story. I so know what you mean when you said you felt relief and guilt. I cry every time I think about how I missed my son's ADD inattentive for so long. I knew something was wrong when he was in kindergarten, but did know what it was. He did not get diagnosed until 6th grade. He has been on and off medicine for years. He does not like taking it because he says it makes him feel like a zombie. He has struggled academically in high school. Recently, it was very apparent that he needed to go back on medicine. Especially now that he is driving. His basketball seems to also be affected, but he cannot see it. Thanks for sharing your story. I know it has been a while since you posted it, but I would like to know what medicine your son ended up on that worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to weregoins For This Useful Post:
mother1960 (03-03-12)
Old 02-27-12, 08:48 AM

foxie_68 is on a distinguished road

Hi & welcome

I'm sure you'll find this site really helfpful, everyone is really supportive, willing to listen and offer advice.

I too recently have found out my 8 year old is ADHD-PI, although saying that I've had nothing formal off the doctor yet. I think the teachers in school where not really aware of this type of ADHD but lucky for my son he has an ace teacher this year who looked into it and has made great changes in his school life. Previous years though he hated school as he was always getting into trouble.

Someone kindly pointed out this thread to me and I found the 30% rule document really informative.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130

Anyways we've all been there, not knowing how to feel, relief at finally having an answer but also worried about what the future may bring.

Life starts afresh right now...I wish you & yours well.
Old 02-27-12, 08:53 AM

Thanked 1,105 Times in 796 Posts
Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome,hope you find this place usefull and that you like it here
Old 03-03-12, 02:06 AM

mother1960 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all so much for your kind and helpful replies.

It appears we have a new dilemma and I'm hopeful someone here can point me in the right direction.

My son started out on Methylin ER 20mg 3 times a day. We ended up here because it was the most affordable.

My son started complaining that the Meds werent working as well and it was difficult getting 2doses from the school nurse. So the doctor switched him to Dexamphetamine SR.

It starter out costing us 140.00 per month for 20mg per day. At walgreens and walmart
When we refilled the script yesterday the cost went up to 450.00 for 120 capsules!

I know there are other options, just not sure where to start. Any suggestions?