ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 10-31-11, 03:49 PM

entrepreneurKid will become famous soon enough
Attention: Does anyone here not Reccomend Meds? Or had a bad Experience themself?

Hey, I just turned 25 haha.

I am trying to Rule-out the idea of Meds or not.

I've kinda always had my mind made up about them, thinking I will deal with this with out meds.

There are a couple reasons why too, I'll post them quickly below.

I've read so many people saying that the ADD meds did wonders etc..
I wanted to know if anyone can say they wish they never took meds etc..

I feel since there is this amazing forum here, bringing all us ADD'ers together, why not ask you guys before seriously considering taking meds.

now here are my Reasons:

1. I've been seeing commercials on TV saying like "Have you taken Ritalin etc..etc.." Or some ADD med, & saying how it screwed some people up etc..

2. I watched like 2 documentaries, 1 was on netflix- about how ADD Meds really screwed up their kids. And then you get to see footage of their kids growing up, like this totally normal kid- then after like years of him taking ADD meds- he has all these ticks etc..

And the parents just going.. Gee! I sure wish we never put him on meds.

And it's way more than 1 case, there are several cases.

If you guys can let me know, please! Take the time to write me back.

Plus I have OCD, so I'm like Determined not to haha.
And I also use to be an Alcoholic, Cigarette & pot somoker. But like each of those things I was really really addicted to.

And now I'm 100% Sober.

So I have several reasons why I don't want to take meds.

But after reading so many Success story's I'm now considering it.
If you can say Meds aren't all that great, or after a while you depended on them & now you wish you never started etc.. Or things worse than that- pleas PLEASE! let me know!

thank you!
Old 10-31-11, 04:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,195 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: Attention: Does anyone here not Reccomend Meds? Or had a bad Experience themself?

All those "Anti-meds" people are Scientologists and are pushing their scare tactics on people. They don't have any research that backs their claims and they don't believe in actual scientific research.
Pay no attention to them.

ADHD medications are the most researched and safest meds out there.

Ritalin is Neuroprotective. It protects the nervous system.
Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2701286/

The only way that a person might have a bad reaction to ADHD meds is when their dosage is too high.
That's why I always tell people to start at the lowest dose possible so you know how your body will react to it.

I hope this eases your mind.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (10-31-11), eeilyk (03-30-12), Flory (03-30-12)
Old 10-31-11, 04:25 PM

StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: Attention: Does anyone here not Reccomend Meds? Or had a bad Experience themself?

By the way I'm 22.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.

REST IN PEACE
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-11, 04:26 PM

It does help ease my mind. However, I'm a pretty realistic dude- And I can't totally Stereo Type 100% of any replies I get to that Thread & say "Oh well, Absolutely everyone who said Nay on ADD Meds is a Sceintologist." or what ever.

I'm sure some will be genuine.

On youtube, watched a news report of I guess All ADD meds, including Ritalin & Aderal I guess may have this "Sudden Death" side affect. Something about people with heart problems. Could lead to Stroke, Sudden Death & Irregular heart beat.

I'm not the Conspiracy Theory type, I can't assume that The government just doesn't want me to take meds haha.

And here is the link if you're interested:
http://youtu.be/dvFifDt4Tc8

To look it up yourself, the title is "ADHD meds declared unsafe"

And I'm sure there are plenty more news reports if I look for them.

Like I said there's like at least 2 Documentaries on it.
Straight up interviewing the people that took the meds, and you can physically see some of these side affects it has had on them.
Old 10-31-11, 04:41 PM

It's logical that people with heart conditions should be aware that any Stimulants (even Caffiene) can make their heart conditions worse.

If you are very worried then go to a Doctor or Cardiologist to make sure your heart is normal.
The people that died from Stimulants had some rare heart condition/defect that they didn't get checked out before going on stimulant meds.

People with healthy hearts shouldn't have any problems with ADHD meds.

There are a lot more people out there that have died from car crashes every year than people taking ADHD meds on a regular basis.

REST IN PEACE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (10-31-11), BR549 (10-31-11)
Old 10-31-11, 04:43 PM

Hey what meds do you take if you don't mind me asking?

And what dose did you start off with, and what dose are you doing now?

And what side affects have you had?

thanks!
Old 10-31-11, 04:57 PM

I was taking Dexedrine IR (instant release tablets) 2.5 mg (half a 5mg tablet) 2-4 times a day. I just need to go see my doctor to get a new script for it in a few days.

I am sensitive to any medications, so I always start at a very tiny dose. (Medication sensitivity seems to be rare)

With Dexedrine, I don't have any real side effects that bother me. Maybe less of an appetite and thirst, but that's manageable. (drink more water and eat before taking meds)

I have been on various medications. And I can't say which one will be best for you.
Instant Release tablets are good if you like splitting your dose up like I do.
Extended Release is good if you like taking one pill a day. BUT it's more expensive.

REST IN PEACE
Old 10-31-11, 06:16 PM

Thanked 7,905 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to bring this up but I've been quiet long enough and I think you ought to know.

I developed hair loss and tics which are hardly noticeable compared to the other side effects.
Hypoglycemia, seizures, mini stroke.

I have extreme sensory sensitivity and a seizure disorder now that is manageable by avoiding flashing lights, sweet foods, alcohol, and any real fun. Kidding, my whole grain cereal and low lit rooms are all the entertainment I require.
Before all that I had adult regressive autism. I was born autistic, I just had a as I call it 'second regression.' Most people call it burn out or a nervous breakdown. It all happened the day after a 30mg Ritalin dose, 1/2 a bottle of beer, extreme appetite suppression and strobe lights. Actually it may have happened that day because I was stumbling around and didn't have the slightest sign of anxiety.

Anyway, I have slowly recovered from it. I still have extreme sensory issues and a bit of seizure activity. Most of it happens when I'm in bed or every time I see lightning. I always have to look away from flickering light because that can start up a seizure in me. I'm kind of used to the temporal lobe symptoms (voices, visual hallucinations, irregular behaviour).

All my doctors deny this of course. My GP came through in the end when I told him about the hallucinations. But I know what's happening in my brain because I was never like this. But now I've got no choice but live with it and make up some excuse when people offer me coffee, hard liquor, or invite me to a concert.

So, why do I still take medication? I want to be an author. I can die twenty years later for all I care. I prefer my brain on medication. The worst of my epileptic symptoms happen when not on medication. I just have to stay on 5mg. When I went off medication for a short while I had a lot of seizures probably because of my stress and since going back on I barely have them, unless I'm foolish enough to drink alcohol or look into a flashing light.

StoicNate, it's not just scientologists that are trying to scare people away from medication. Go to epilepsy.com forums and read about all the people that developed a seizure disorder from taking stimulants. Some people are just sensitive to medications and they're not taught how to properly use them. I really do think doctors need to give a bit more information before giving people medication. At least take their blood pressure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
eeilyk (03-30-12), whatsthebuzz (10-31-11)
Old 10-31-11, 07:02 PM

Hey Fractured story haha, thank you so much!

I really appreciate it!

I seen some stuff on Youtube, read some stuff- watched people do their Vlogs & talk about all these side affects they have. And just as subtle as some of them are- I think I'd rather Deal with ADD without meds.

This one dude was kind enough to vlog about it, from England I think.

Anywho- that plus this= No way! I'm not going to even consider it!

Plus! a few people in my family have seizures, or have had them.
I don't want to mess with that.

And I have OCD too- and a really additive personality.

I can see myself drifting towards all sorts of Ticks.
OCD & Tourettes are so darn similar. I think the only difference is people with OCD don't necessarily have Ticks. Thats' about it, some do haha.

I think all people with Tourettes have OCD.
(How ever you spell it.)

And yeah, I use to do things- like OCD things that are physical richual like things. Sorta like tourette behavior.

I'm over that now, I can totally see myself giving in to the tempation to do those tick like things again if I were tempted to, and I don't want to!

And my addictive personality.

I'm that rare Alcoholic that if I have 1 sip of beer- I will go drink at least 12 beers, pretty darn quickly- 12-15 beers and get black out drunk.

When I smoked weed, I was like a Heroin Addict-but on weed!
I would smoke the most expensive highest grade weed possible, and I would smoke lots of it- huge amounts like every 30 minutes or so.

And I NEEDED IT!

If I didn't have it, I didn't feel normal.
Eventually, I needed it to feel normal.

And for a few years there I sorta hated myself for being addicted to those things.
I tried so hard to quit, it took me 3.5 years of Wanting to quit so badly everyday- it's all I ever thought of.

And I finally quit one day! I'm 4 years & some months sober.
And I don't want to mess with that either!

I can see myself relying on ADD meds, or wanting so badly to take more than supposed to.

One time I tried a pain pill- after getting sober. I wound up taking 10 pain pills all at ounce that same week, just to feel those affects. then up to 12-15. That lasted almost a month, and I had to quit cold turkey. I was like NO! This is now taking over my life the way that other stuff did.

Now it's ADD that I hate, and want to quit so badly every day- its all think about.

Thank you so much! You put the cherry on my decision

Sincerely.
Old 10-31-11, 07:53 PM

whatsthebuzz is on a distinguished road

@fracturedstory : was very moved by your story . What you went through sounded really awful so I can only imagine what it must have felt like. You are such a brave girl...I wish I had an ounce of your courage.

and as for the topic at hand , its been mentioned hundreds of times over on this site how people react differently to different medications at different doses.Does this mean the medication is bad..certainly not. You need only to look at various medications and their side-effects to know that many drugs can bring about the most awful of symptoms to the point that people may sometimes have to stop using them. But never where these drugs declared bad or worse unnecessary. Just look at what a cancer patient has to go though with chemotherapy but does this cause anybody to tell them to stop treatment..of course not! and also do you think that if people with ADHD didn't absolutely need these medications that they would even consider taking them? you take what gives you what you need and you just have to live with what it causes you i guess.just be sure to keep in regular touch with a good doctor if you choose to take meds from now on.
ADHDTigger (10-31-11), Flory (03-30-12)
Old 10-31-11, 10:24 PM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

I'm prone to seizures, but my life with ADHD and no meds is the complete suck, so I would take being symptom-free and having seizures over this.

At least if I have a seizure at work, I can't get fired for it.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Flory (03-30-12)
Old 03-30-12, 11:56 AM
Contributor

eeilyk has a spectacular aura abouteeilyk has a spectacular aura about

Okay.. Well. There are good and bad sides to ALL medications, including "vitamins and supplements". Gym junkies spend so much time "perfecting" their body that they are so blind to the fact that a lot of what they're doing is causing more harm than good. Too many supplements can damage the liver, many of them interact badly with each other but they stay on the market because it's not properly documented due to it being mostly over the counter and people become their own advisors from stuff they read off the internet.

How does this tie in with ADHD medication? Well, doctors have been prescribing this medication for decades yet despite this, there is only a handful of doctors that truely have a good understanding and belief in it, and are willing to treat it, especially in adults, and especially in Australia. I can't really speak for those in other countries but i know over here it's a section 8 controlled drug, usually a psychiatrist has to prescribe stimulants, we only really have dex and ritalin available, if a GP prescribes it like mine does, they have to get a psychiatrist to authorise and every script is logged with the government and a physical is required on a regular basis to ensure there are no major side effects. The handful of doctors that i've been in contact with are closely monitored and some have been investigated for excessive stimulant prescriptions, despite them clearly stating that they specialise in the area. I kind of went off track here but the point i was trying to make is that stimulant medication in particular, in my country, is so closely monitored that if there were a huge risk in long term use, it would have been recognised, reported and they would have been banned.

Benzo's and pain killers are highly addictive and cause all manner of problems, not to mention the risk of death from withdrawal, the contraceptive pill can affect fertility, OH, and EVERYTHING gives you cancer..

Now onto some everyday products.. Coke rots the stomach, ibuprofen causes stomach ulcers, alcohol kills brain cells, tobacco gives you lung and throat cancer, the sun gives you skin cancer, computers give you brain cancer, phones give you ball cancer, HECK, you can even die from drinking too much water!

If you stopped to worry about all the things in your life that MIGHT lead to some horrible ending, you'd end up in a corner of a psych hospital too scared to move.

We're all going to die of something, we also all know our bodies better than anyone. It's good to be cautious when it comes to what we put in our bodies, but we also need to weight up the pros and the cons and decide for ourselves based on experience rather than depend on what the latest propaganda video wants us to believe..

Documentaries aren't fact, they're opinions. We all have them and they're all different, it's up to us to decide what we take away from them.
Unfortunately the media thrives on the negative, we love to read about how bad something is so we can get on our high horses and shake our fists, the good stories are often pushed to the bottom of the page because there is no controversy to make them popular.

I probably haven't helped at all here, in fact i'm hyperfocused to the max and rambling on and wishing i would just stop, but i can't. Funnily enough, i'm off my meds at the moment and honestly, i don't like the results.
The Following User Says Thank You to eeilyk For This Useful Post:
Flory (03-30-12)
Old 03-30-12, 12:39 PM

Thanked 6,390 Times in 3,052 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

there may have been quite a few kids and adults that had bad reactions but if you were to look at it statistically, the US is the biggest importer of methylphenidates, FDA is like a hawk with medication if it truly was such a bad health risk it would have been banned by now, and there are so so many people that have success with it which is why it is so widely prescribed, methylphenidates have been in use since the 50's arguably one of the safest well known psychotropic substances but like any other medication or indeed any other life choice there is always a risk. i could be healthily going along with life and get hit by a car...
equally, life in itselsf is a game of chance, a cancer patient that needs to use the very toxic chemotherapy to combat the cancer will ordinarily have to take it, of course there are some risks right? but you need it or your condition will not improve.

the decision is your own and the way i look at it is by weighing up the pros and cons i.e are my symptoms pervasive enough that i am willing to put up with some (and believe me not everybody gets symptoms) so that i may live a relatively better life? and that will be your answer..you will be under supervision and if they don't work out then you don't have to continue. Drugs are possibly the single most effective treatment alongside behavioural therapies for ADHD. Scare stories are just that, if you believe or follow every scare story about don't use this dont do that, you'd virtually not be able to do anything...
Old 04-05-12, 07:41 PM

Richard Flinder is on a distinguished road

I've tourettes & my 11 year old son has both ADD & tourettes. I've had horrific experiences with medications for my tourettes, and actually became mentally ill and couldn't work for a year because of the medication, Xyprexa. (bad experience with Haldol also.)Most other meds made me too sleepy to do much, or didn't do anything. They've tried many drugs on me. I know some people where drugs really helped; however I know others who have had problems like me. You take your chance!

My son Jimrick was doing very poorly in school because of ADD, starting at 6 years old. He lives in the Philippines where they don't seem to treat everything with a drug like in the US, where I am from. We took him to a tutoring school in Antipolo, that helps kids like him with learning problems, and now he's doing great. He still makes a few faces and sounds (pig noises mostly) from the tourettes, but the special tutoring really helped him deal with his ADD.

It's all up to the person, if they want to try the drugs. New ones are out all the time. They might work, they might not. I want my son making his own choices when he's old enough. Doctors love trying different meds on me! They stopped having doctors prescribe meds for me and I had to go to a psychiatrist who specialized in prescribing drugs, but they still don't always have enough knowledge to always make the right decisions, because drugs effect different people, different ways. And on so many of the drugs many doctors ae just learning all the effects.

My biggest problem, (when they put me on Xyprexa), was started because dentists would not work on me, because of my tourettes. I didn't want drugs, but had no choice. I had a bad tooth. They insisted I take a medication to get my tooth worked on because of my ticks. So a doctor said, lets try Xyprexa. I then had extreme nightmares, even when awake. I got very suicidal, and for some reason mentally, could not put my hands below my waist. I was mostly lost and couldn't rmember how to get places. had to quit working and doctors suggested I simply get on government aid and not work any more. Though they stopped the medication, the illness stayed. They claimed the effects would just go away. They didn't. I was in specialists offices numerous times for a year. They even had me on multiple medications trying to make my thoughts normal again. After trying Respidol, I started to think clearly, and I am now taking nothing and hope to stay that way. With the Respidol, my tics mostly went away, but I prefer having the tics and not being on any drugs. Maybe I'll have to take something again, because the tics keep getting worse, but only if it effects my work too much. I could care less about what other people think about my tics. (I'm a professional pianist & happily working again) Would I put my son on drugs for his ADD? Only for a drastic situation.