ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-04, 08:58 AM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
Question If I type my screenname in google, my posts show up, is there anyway around this?

Well although this is not a good policy I guess looking back on it, I use my aol screen name for every message board I post on so anyone who if anyone who knows me would happen to goto www.google.com and type in my screenname they would see not only my posts from this board but all the posts from other boards I've posted on. This is especially true if you happen to have a rare screen name. Just to test it out, I put some other users from this board in and posts show up too. Maybe I'm the only one dumb enough to use the same screenname. Is there anyway to block google from archiving our posts? I mean maybe I'm just being paranoid but there are some people who don't know I have ADD who could find posts that I really didn't want to be on google about very private things I've discussed on here. True, they could just come on here, but the chances of that are much slimmer. Also, if not, is there anyway to change my screenname? I did not think about all this until I read this article about how you can find people's quicken files and search for credit card number ranges and all sorts of scary stuff... Even if its not online anymore google has a cache of old stuff so you can still access stuff that has been taken offline. Gotta love the internet.

Eweek Article:
Don't Expect Privacy on the Web
Old 09-29-04, 09:38 AM

IndyCelt is on a distinguished road
Cualexander,

In defense of Google, it isn't just a Google issue. It will pull it up on Yahoo search and probably every other search engine. Having a different screen name for a forum like this would be the only way to protect your privacy.

I thought about this issue when I signed on, but my personal decision has been to be open about ADD in me and my family. However, I know that there are tons of reasons for individuals not to share their own situations.

Cheryl
Old 09-29-04, 10:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
Wow I had no idea you could this
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-04, 10:43 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
It happens to me too, the only defenses I see against it are:

* Pick a name that is a common word already, like "Rabbit"
* Some forums are private or have private sections that cannot be read by Guests or by searchbots, only by members. Most of this forum doesn't fit this description although the private abuse sections do.
Old 09-29-04, 11:36 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
As I understand it we are trying to have our threads here indexed by search engine bots. That's exactly how I found you guys. I was having trouble finding definitive answers about the role of a coach. A google search brought up a relevant thread here and I never really left.

It's always a double edged sword. To think that you remain anonymous is somewhat naive no matter your nickname. In my case I don't use a proxy but probably should. My ISP tracks every move I make by replacing my ip address with a designation that is unique to my user account. Canada has some seriously lame privacy laws. This ISP drives me to distraction on other terms too. Like the fact that I'm forced to buy my cell time, two land lines, local and long distance services and my internet time all from the same company. In the US this would not be the case I'm sure. I absolutely hate having to deal with them. They define arrogance.

If it really does pose a serious problem for you, contact an administrator and explaing yourself.
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 10-09-04, 05:57 PM

minn306 has disabled reputation
I just tried doing this, putting my screen name into Google search........and sure enough, it came up with my posts. How scary is that?? Not that is really matters because if you did not want people to see what you wrote(or typed!), then you would not even be posting messages here. It just shows how this whole internet thing works. You can find anything you want to know, even if it is other people's posts! Just wanted to share MY observation. :-)
Old 10-09-04, 06:07 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,056 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Please note that posts made in the PRIVATE forums are not indexed in Google or other search engines.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 10-11-04, 02:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

moxee33 will become famous soon enough
Question

Which administrator do we contact to make the change? I ask Big for everything, and I'm sure he'd appreciate a break from my requests

Old 10-11-04, 06:16 AM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
You may contact either Me or Big
Old 10-11-04, 09:21 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,056 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxee33
Which administrator do we contact to make the change? I ask Big for everything, and I'm sure he'd appreciate a break from my requests
While I'm sure you're sick of having to wait patiently for my requests both Tara and I can assist you.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 11-02-09, 11:55 AM

GimmeShelter is on a distinguished road
Re: If I type my screenname in google, my posts show up, is there anyway around this?

I have sent two PM's to andrew asking how to change my username. Haven't heard back. I've been nervous about this too. Could someone tell andrew he's got PM's to read
Old 11-02-09, 10:30 PM

Thanked 5,014 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If I type my screenname in google, my posts show up, is there anyway around this?

Forward it to Andi (the other admin) and make sure you attach some shoes

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following User Says Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
GimmeShelter (11-02-09)
Old 11-04-09, 10:41 PM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Doesnt matter if you change your username, all your previous posts are archived with the previous name, no?
Old 11-04-09, 11:47 PM

Thanked 1,633 Times in 883 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

The old username would show up in a search when you were quoted in another poster's text. A username change would not affect quoted text, so it would still pull up in the search.