ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-04, 09:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Question What Type Of Music Helps Your ADD/ADHD Or Other Disorder?

I'm interested to know if any of you use any particular type of music to your advantage.

It is quite well documented that music alters our brain waves.

So what floats your boat?

A song?

A style?

Genre?

Artist?

Yes, you can name favorites , but I'm interested in what you find really helps you.

I introduced Andrei to 'Cello music, which he calls "Ancient Music" , and he will vow and declare that this music soothes him. He likens it to a feeling of being hypnotized, but still able to work.

What do the rest of you think? What are your findings with music and your condition. For my PTSD, it tends to be very low or gentle, classical, non invasive, and kind of repetetive music. A favorite piece of mine is called "the lark ascending" by Vaughn Williams.

~Viktoria
Old 09-29-04, 10:11 AM

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Ever since I was a real young kid, the Jurassic Park themesong has always done it for me. Heh. Then again, maybe not really, but I listened to it over and over and over...I used to watch the end part that plays it, rewind, watch that part again, rewind, heh.

I also like the Four Seasons by Vivaldi...a lot of Hymns, some techno-ish stuff from some video games helps, etc.

A lot of very complex music, such as Fugues or techno, and so further, put me into a trance state just about instantly; which can be good or bad...trances are at least not hyperactive periods, heh.
Old 09-29-04, 10:22 AM

Mariela is on a distinguished road
I don't know why, but it's been a long time since I put music for me. My daughters sleep with the music of a CD called "Smart Symphonies", from the Grammy Foundation, that the hospital gave us when my second daughter was born. It has music from Bach, Mozart, and others. As you say, they are repetitive and calming but some of them are very uplifting at the same time. I would like to buy something more suitable to sleep because of that.

I don't know why I neglect myself something that is one of the things that I most enjoy. I have few CD's (about four) while my husband, and I know other people too, have dozens. The other day I was thinking on that. And how happy I feel when I sing, also. (Not only I sing when I'm in a good mood, but singing itself puts me in a good mood.) Somehow I punish myself by depriving me from that. I will start to change that now that I am aware. Thanks for your post!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-04, 10:24 AM

Another lover of the Four Seasons of Vivaldi.
Old 09-29-04, 10:30 AM

Kmiller and Mariela, good selections for soothing yourselves. The Four Seasons is one of Andre's and my favorites for soothing music.

KMiller, you are right, at least a trance isn't H mode. You probably would like Bach's Toccata and Fugue.

Mariela, don't deprive yourself of music No one should do that

~Viktoria
Old 09-29-04, 10:41 AM

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
I have trouble listen to music that is slow or calming I get bored with it and then feel ansy.....I'll get a feeling of just having to shut it off.....

I clean my house to loud rock, punk kinda music, without it I have a hard time staying on track. It makes me feel happy and energetic. I also listen to this kind of music while driving, painting, doing crafts. If I have to really think like when making out bills or talking on the phone and so on. I can't listen to music or watch TV, I'll get lost easily.....
Old 09-29-04, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttalkingmom
I have trouble listen to music that is slow or calming I get bored with it and then feel ansy.....I'll get a feeling of just having to shut it off.....

I clean my house to loud rock, punk kinda music, without it I have a hard time staying on track. It makes me feel happy and energetic. I also listen to this kind of music while driving, painting, doing crafts. If I have to really think like when making out bills or talking on the phone and so on. I can't listen to music or watch TV, I'll get lost easily.....
fasttalkingmom, have you ever heard Vivaldi's Four Seasons? It is not slow; but it is calming. I use more upbeat music to do repetetive chores such as Otmar Liebert, but not the rest of the time. That makes me feel happier to do things I do not enjoy.

Soothing music does not necessarily mean slow. But it's interesting to read what type of music makes "you" feel good
~Viktoria
Old 09-29-04, 11:20 AM

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue
fasttalkingmom, have you ever heard Vivaldi's Four Seasons? It is not slow; but it is calming. I use more upbeat music to do repetetive chores such as Otmar Liebert, but not the rest of the time. That makes me feel happier to do things I do not enjoy.

Soothing music does not necessarily mean slow. But it's interesting to read what type of music makes "you" feel good
~Viktoria
I don't use music to sooth or calm myself.....

I use music to ward off bordom........

Yes I know Four Season.
Old 09-29-04, 11:27 AM

Maybe I don't listen to music to keep my emotions even. (I'm bipolar also.) For example, if I get happy, then I get too happy, then I get too excited and a manic episode starts. Also, I don't think music helps me concentrate more, at least while listening to it. Maybe in a longterm way.

Anyway, I don't know anything on this subject (how music affects the brain). Well, I have a new subject to look for in the internet.
Old 09-29-04, 11:29 AM

Quote:
fasttalkingmom:I don't use music to sooth or calm myself.....

I use music to ward off bordom........

Yes I know Four Season.
That's why I said "it's interesting to read what type of music makes "you" feel good."

I asked about the Four Seasons, as I thought I had given a wrong impression of calming music being all slow. My bad
~Viktoria

Last edited by RhapsodyInBlue; 09-29-04 at 11:35 AM..
Old 09-29-04, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariela
Maybe I don't listen to music to keep my emotions even. (I'm bipolar also.) For example, if I get happy, then I get too happy, then I get too excited and a manic episode starts. Also, I don't think music helps me concentrate more, at least while listening to it. Maybe in a longterm way.

Anyway, I don't know anything on this subject (how music affects the brain). Well, I have a new subject to look for in the internet.
Mariela, with my PTSD, I can get deeply depressed at times, and then I lighten up my musical tastes, but if I am feeling a little anxious over every day life, then I use a more soothing approach. When concentrating, I don't actually "listen" to the music after some time......it fades away, but leaves me with a very calm feeling, and Andrei says almost the same.

I think it does take time to get to this, especially if you have deprived yourself. Google Music+Brain+Patterns.....you'll probably get some interesting hits.

~Viktoria
Old 09-29-04, 11:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ancient Music has disabled reputation
Once apon a time I listened to pop, a little bit of heavy rock and ocassional blues. Then one day I was very fortunate in being introduced to "Ancient Music" by my beloved "Wildcat"..... Hello Viktoria my Darling..

Vivaldi's Four Seasons invariably lets me unwind and calm down. Its great at th end of the day and is also excellent for background music when I'm trying to think and focus.. (((((((shock)))))))

At the opposite extreme, punk, heavy metal, pop, and techno irritate me and wind me up making focus, thinking and relaxation impossible for me.
All my old CD's found their way to the garbage bin.

I also enjoy some blues, particularly sax and I really love "Rhapsody in Blue"...strange about that. :-X :-X :-X

Other classical music, as I have found out to my delight, can be very romantic and sensual, particularly when shared with your beloved. (You again Viktoria my Sweetheart)

I know personally, that classical music has been of great benifit in helping me control ADHD/OCD....and has added a great deal of enjoyment to my life.

Andrei
Old 09-29-04, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue
That's why I said "it's interesting to read what type of music makes "you" feel good."

I asked about the Four Seasons, as I thought I had given a wrong impression of calming music being all slow. My bad
~Viktoria
I understood...... yes, I agree with you, it is very interesting
Old 09-29-04, 12:06 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Music
Once apon a time I listened to pop, a little bit of heavy rock and ocassional blues. Then one day I was very fortunate in being introduced to "Ancient Music" by my beloved "Wildcat"..... Hello Viktoria my Darling..

Vivaldi's Four Seasons invariably lets me unwind and calm down. Its great at th end of the day and is also excellent for background music when I'm trying to think and focus.. (((((((shock)))))))

At the opposite extreme, punk, heavy metal, pop, and techno irritate me and wind me up making focus, thinking and relaxation impossible for me.

I also enjoy some blues, particularly sax and I really love "Rhapsody in Blue"...strange about that. :-X :-X :-X

Other classical music, as I have found out to my delight, can be very romantic and sensual, particularly when shared with your beloved. (You again Viktoria my Sweetheart)

I know personally, that classical music has been of great benifit in helping me control ADHD/OCD....and has added a great deal of enjoyment to my life.

Andrei
You're the one who threw your CD's out, even when I played them for you

Oh Honey, cognitive behavior therapy works so well on you.

Ummm, isn't there a particular tenor you love to listen to as well???

Love and Kisses,
~Viktoria
XXXOOOXXX
Old 09-29-04, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Music
This is why I feel kinda like a freak, I love this music (not techno ) it does not irritate me or wind me up. I feel irritated listening to classical music, country, Jazz, oldies and such for a long period of time. I do like some different music, again not for long periods of time or I get bored. I love Big Band/Swing type music. I like Josh Groban, that's a new one for me I can listen to the Boston Pops while watching the fireworks...

Oh ya, I didn't tell you my age did I ? .........