ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 09-29-04, 11:45 AM

Kelly is on a distinguished road
Unhappy ADHD - Trying not to freak out - need advice, or atleast someone to talk me down

I know I should've probably search the forums for an answer, but I'm trying so hard not to lose it that I can barely type.

A few weeks ago I told my boss about my ADD. Now, she's not the most touchy-feely person in the world, but I thought things would be alright. I'm starting to feel like they're trying to FIND things that I'm doing wrong.

They don't seem to understand the fact that June - August, I was unmedicated and unsupervised medically. Now I have a reliable doctor, so I'm TRYING to find ways to work around my problems. It's gong to take a little time to FIND it tho.

My question - am I still covered by the ADA, even if I keep making mistakes because of my ADD? I'm fully qualified for this job, but my brain keeps screwing things up 3 weeks ago I had a "written warning" and I just saw another "discussion page" on the printer for our Admin meeting this afternoon. I can't remember what comes after written

God, right now I feel like telling them, "Just f*$#ing fire me and get it over with!!!"
Old 09-29-04, 12:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Smile

Kelly, I have no answers for you because I have never disclosed my PTSD to anyone I work with or for, and my husband has never disclosed his ADD to anyone he has worked for.

Why? Because despite all that is offered as protection, there is still going to be the 'normal' [I dislike that word] discrimination. I am not saying this is what you are facing, but it is not impossible either.

I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge than I can answer you with info that will help you right this moment.

I just wanted you to know I had read your post, and I feel so sorry that you are in this position that can only make your ADD worse and your anxiety levels go higher. This will not help your work performance at all.

The only thing I can say that I have seen Andrei's Dr say over and over again is "so what"? What if you lose your job? Think of all the worse case scenario's. He claims [the dr] that all anxieties over issues should be approached with the "so what" attitude. At first it appeared hard, and I didn't like it, but eventually I saw his reasoning behind it.

If you lost this job you would get another, and probably with an employer with a better approach to human beings.

Take Care, Kelly....I'll be thinking of you
Old 09-29-04, 12:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

1civdiv is on a distinguished road
I agree with Viktoria, "SO WHAT?" I have had to use this philosophy many times in the last seven months. I was diagnosed in the military. nice because you can not get fired. now that i am out and working "real" jobs, I have been "let go" and told that i am not a "good fit." I just find that it is easier to not tell employers about AD/HD and bipolar. This last time i was let go i filed for unemployment AND disability at the urging of my unemp counselor.

Here's hoping that your super will look past all this stuff and let you do your job....
Old 09-29-04, 10:59 PM

Kelly is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice

I guess what worries me most is the difference between being "qualified" and "able to perform" the job. Right now, my ADD is preventing me from being "able to perform" my job correctly.

There's alot going on. I think the biggest problem is communicating.

[vent]
For example, a few weeks ago, my boss asked me to Fed Ex a pair of earrings to a colleage. Of course, she just hands me the box and a sticky with the woman's name - so it gets stuck in a drawer and I completely forget about it. She freaks out about this woman not getting her package last Friday, so what's my response? I lie - "Well, I sent it out, but I can't find the slip with the tracking number" (Panic response) So THEN I have to make up a lie about how it turns out it got stuck in the Fed Ex box, so I overnighted it and I was *so* thrilled to find it that I accidentally threw the other slip away. Then today, it turns out that I sent it to the wrong address!! I found the ONLY address for the company on their website *arg*

Today, I also found their "discussion script" for my "written warning" a couple weeks ago - on the printer where anyone could see it *double grrr*

I've also gotten behind on getting their procurement charges in - so last week, I began hunting and trying to get these all in this week. But do they see that? NO! All they see is that I have receipts from JUNE that I haven't gotten in (they don't see the extreme effort I'm putting in the get caught up so this doesn't happen again)

It just makes me feel like I'm under a microscope - like they're documenting every little bitty thing I'm doing wrong, even if I'm trying to find ways to improve. Not a very productive environment.
[/vent]

heh - thanks for listening - now maybe it won't take me an hour to fall asleep.
Old 10-02-04, 10:48 AM
Jr Member

ADDvocacy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I know I should've probably search the forums for an answer, but I'm trying so hard not to lose it that I can barely type.

A few weeks ago I told my boss about my ADD. Now, she's not the most touchy-feely person in the world, but I thought things would be alright. I'm starting to feel like they're trying to FIND things that I'm doing wrong.

They don't seem to understand the fact that June - August, I was unmedicated and unsupervised medically. Now I have a reliable doctor, so I'm TRYING to find ways to work around my problems. It's gong to take a little time to FIND it tho.

My question - am I still covered by the ADA, even if I keep making mistakes because of my ADD? I'm fully qualified for this job, but my brain keeps screwing things up 3 weeks ago I had a "written warning" and I just saw another "discussion page" on the printer for our Admin meeting this afternoon. I can't remember what comes after written

God, right now I feel like telling them, "Just f*$#ing fire me and get it over with!!!"
Kelly this is tough what you are going through I've been through it too. I think that so many people have misconceptions when it comes to ADD. The other thing is that we tend to think about the big picture while most think about the small picture. (At least in my experience). Sometimes it feels like employers just don't "GET" our big ideas.

One thing that's really helped me is believing that everything happens for a reason. Regardless what happens at your job stand up for yourself and your ADD! Be proud of it. You don't have ADD - you ARE ADD and its a wonderful thing. Sure, there are challenges and others will sometimes look at us differently but you are probably the most creative and innovative person in your workplace.

Chin up girl you'll be great. Don't ever doubt yourself! And always be happy for your ADD it really is a gift.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to chat more I'd be happy to tell you more about my experience.

Adult with ADD

"Where ever you go - there you are"