ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 11-10-11, 02:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light
Desoxyn Success Stories, Studies, etc...

Desoxyn is widely believed to be the holy grail of ADHD medication. The few who use it claim it to be the most beneficial of all stimulants, with the longest duration, and virtually no side effects.

However, we all know that the word Desoxyn rarely finds it's way to the prescription pad? Why? Is Desoxyn a recipe for disaster and instant addiction in individuals who would not abuse, say, Adderall or Dexedrine?

I mentioned Desoxyn in passing to one psychiatrist. I didn't even intent to ask for it. He quickly said, "I don't prescribe that. It's meth. They're cooking it up in bathtubs." Then he handed me my Dexedrine script.

Most of us realize that Desoxyn (dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride) is not a fatally toxic chemical made in the garage of Billy-Bob-No-Teeth out in Akansas. We know that it is a clean and effective medication, believed to be safe when used appropriately. Why don't doctors know this?

I wanted to create a thread exclusively for sharing Desoxyn success stories, published studies, scientific data, and links to concrete online information. It is pretty hard to find solid support for the therapeutic benefits of this medication online. When you do find it, it is often buried in inane comments - "Dude, you got meth? How do I get meth?" or "My doctor is a jerk. He wouldn't give me meth!"

With your help, I hope this will become a less cluttered, go-to thread for Desoxyn information.

I'll start by sharing some links...

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Desoxyn

Further, because the secondary effects of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride are least among the amphetamine-class stimulants or methylphenidate but the highest degree of primary effectiveness (i.e., most effective at enhancing concentration and decreasing distractibility, with the least occurrence of side effects), Desoxyn can be useful for patients who find other medications ineffective or for whom the side effects of such other medications are too severe.

The greater primary effectiveness of Desoxyn is believed to be caused by the extra methyl group of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride which is lacking in basic amphetamine, which may increase the solubility of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride in lipids (and therefore be more deeply and thoroughly absorbed into the fatty tissue of the brain).

anxietyzone.com/drugs/desoxyn

As a pharmaceutical-grade form of methamphetamine, which has gained a reputation for abuse, Desoxyn has retained a degree of controversy because of concerns it may be abused. However, the tablet form of Desoxyn cannot effectively be smoked, snorted or injected, and many patients treated with Desoxyn report the benefits to exceed that of related treatments such as Ritalin/methylphenidate or Adderall/amphetamine. Further, research has indicated that ADD/ADHD patients treated with stimulants are in fact less likely to abuse substances than patients who are not treated with these drugs, and there is little evidence that prescription stimulant use under a medical program administered by a doctor leads to abuse.

revolutionhealth.com

A detailed study which contains information on the chemical reasons for Desoxyn's potency, yet relative lack of side-effects...

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/15/2/1308.full.pdf

Anyway, there's not much out there. Maybe you guys can help...

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)

Last edited by BR549; 11-11-11 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: remove direct links to other forums
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-10-11), salleh (11-10-11)
Old 11-10-11, 12:29 PM

Bouncingoffwall will become famous soon enough
Re: Desoxyn Success Stories, Studies, etc...

Desoxyn has a dark side... I struggled with addiction to meth back in '03, while in college.

But then again, this stuff is cleanly manufactured, pure, and available in a form that makes intranasal/IV abuse a pain in the a**. When taken under a doc's close supervision, correct dosing and commitment to the therapeutic ends of treatment, it could be tremendously beneficial. I could say the same abuse potential exists with Adderall, but I have a completely different experience and mindset with that drug. Plus, a hell of a lot more maturity and responsibility.

I shy away from the thought of taking it (too many bad memories), but I see the therapeutic value of it for those who didn't engage in my brand of high-risk, youthful, and impulsive behavior.

Last edited by Bouncingoffwall; 11-10-11 at 12:47 PM..
Old 11-10-11, 06:57 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncingoffwall View Post
Desoxyn has a dark side... I struggled with addiction to meth back in '03, while in college.

But then again, this stuff is cleanly manufactured, pure, and available in a form that makes intranasal/IV abuse a pain in the a**. When taken under a doc's close supervision, correct dosing and commitment to the therapeutic ends of treatment, it could be tremendously beneficial. I could say the same abuse potential exists with Adderall, but I have a completely different experience and mindset with that drug. Plus, a hell of a lot more maturity and responsibility.

I shy away from the thought of taking it (too many bad memories), but I see the therapeutic value of it for those who didn't engage in my brand of high-risk, youthful, and impulsive behavior.
Did you have bad experiences with Desoxyn? Or did you have bad experiences with Crystal Meth?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-11, 02:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

relax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the rough

I've found success with methamphetamine (generic Desoxyn). I've been on every ADHD stimulant in the book. I've taken Adderall, Dexedrine, Ritalin, Daytrana, Vyvanse, etc. etc. you name it and I've tried it. It's also worth noting I've tried all the non-stimulant ADHD medications as well. I've also been prescribed doses of amphetamines from 10 mg a day - 120 mg a day. I've found the higher the dose the longer it lasts, but it's not necessarily more therapeutic than taking lower doses multiple times a day.

Methamphetamine therapy has made me feel almost normal in a sense. I don't have ADHD when I'm on methamphetamine. It deals with my ADHD symptoms the best and causes me very few side effects. I've always experienced terrible side effects on other stimulant medications, especially methlyphenidate products.

I don't believe methamphetamine is a cure for ADHD by any means, but instead I believe it is a very useful tool for dealing with a good majority of the symptoms, at least in my experience.

Methamphetamine is very smooth to the point it is sometimes unnoticeable. It starts working within minutes of oral administration and lasts for a good amount of time, typically the main effects last 5 hours per dose but sometimes can last longer.

Methamphetamine helps me socialize much better and reduces fear or anxiety so I'm able to engage in conversation with an individual much more fluently. It has also enhanced my memory and I'm able to recall things most people cannot down to the smallest details. It allows me to read better and for longer because it kills distractions around me which allows me to give my complete and undivided attention. Methamphetamine doesn't force me to focus, it allows me to focus on what I wish to focus on. I still get bored with things and distracted but to a lesser extent which is why I describe the drug as providing some normalcy in my life.

My initial dose of methamphetamine was 15 mg twice a day (30 mg), I took that dose religiously for 6 months. I now take 5 mg twice a day (10 mg) and it still works just as well as 15 mg twice a day (30 mg). I've never experienced tolerance to methamphetamine, which is why I am able to get a beneficial effect from lowering my dose quite substantially, from 30 mg to 10 mg daily. But my anti-tolerance effects are not usual, they are due to reasons beyond me or the drug.

The problems I have with methamphetamine is it is highly habit forming, and it's high abuse potential can lead some individuals to seek higher doses and thus become addicted. Methamphetamine also is a much more potent appetite suppressant than amphetamine or methylphenidate, so you really need to watch your weight if you take methamphetamine. Meth also has more potential to cause insomnia or sleep problems. Also, there is concern over methamphetamine's neurotoxic effects even at low oral doses. The methamphetamine rebound is not as physically tolling as amphetamine but it is much more psychologically tolling, ie. more depressed, anxious, etc because it's potent effect on the CNS.

Overall, methamphetamine is a suitable medication solution if you and your doctor understand the the pros and cons of this drug for ADHD. Methamphetamine has always been considered a "super-amphetamine" and rightly so. However, it can be useful for ADHD treatment in rare circumstances. Methamphetamine definitely shouldn't be considered a mainstream treatment option, but instead a last resort drug therapy option for some individuals.

-relax21
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to relax21 For This Useful Post:
2gr8ful2bh8ful (02-24-14), salleh (11-12-11), tambourine-man (11-12-11), Twiggy (03-04-12)
Old 11-12-11, 07:03 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Desoxyn is widely believed to be the holy grail of ADHD medication. The few who use it claim it to be the most beneficial of all stimulants, with the longest duration, and virtually no side effects.

However, we all know that the word Desoxyn rarely finds it's way to the prescription pad? Why? Is Desoxyn a recipe for disaster and instant addiction in individuals who would not abuse, say, Adderall or Dexedrine?

I mentioned Desoxyn in passing to one psychiatrist. I didn't even intent to ask for it. He quickly said, "I don't prescribe that. It's meth. They're cooking it up in bathtubs." Then he handed me my Dexedrine script.

Most of us realize that Desoxyn (dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride) is not a fatally toxic chemical made in the garage of Billy-Bob-No-Teeth out in Akansas. We know that it is a clean and effective medication, believed to be safe when used appropriately. Why don't doctors know this?

I wanted to create a thread exclusively for sharing Desoxyn success stories, published studies, scientific data, and links to concrete online information. It is pretty hard to find solid support for the therapeutic benefits of this medication online. When you do find it, it is often buried in inane comments - "Dude, you got meth? How do I get meth?" or "My doctor is a jerk. He wouldn't give me meth!"

With your help, I hope this will become a less cluttered, go-to thread for Desoxyn information.

I'll start by sharing some links...

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Desoxyn

Further, because the secondary effects of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride are least among the amphetamine-class stimulants or methylphenidate but the highest degree of primary effectiveness (i.e., most effective at enhancing concentration and decreasing distractibility, with the least occurrence of side effects), Desoxyn can be useful for patients who find other medications ineffective or for whom the side effects of such other medications are too severe.

The greater primary effectiveness of Desoxyn is believed to be caused by the extra methyl group of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride which is lacking in basic amphetamine, which may increase the solubility of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride in lipids (and therefore be more deeply and thoroughly absorbed into the fatty tissue of the brain).

anxietyzone.com/drugs/desoxyn

As a pharmaceutical-grade form of methamphetamine, which has gained a reputation for abuse, Desoxyn has retained a degree of controversy because of concerns it may be abused. However, the tablet form of Desoxyn cannot effectively be smoked, snorted or injected, and many patients treated with Desoxyn report the benefits to exceed that of related treatments such as Ritalin/methylphenidate or Adderall/amphetamine. Further, research has indicated that ADD/ADHD patients treated with stimulants are in fact less likely to abuse substances than patients who are not treated with these drugs, and there is little evidence that prescription stimulant use under a medical program administered by a doctor leads to abuse.

revolutionhealth.com

A detailed study which contains information on the chemical reasons for Desoxyn's potency, yet relative lack of side-effects...

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/15/2/1308.full.pdf

Anyway, there's not much out there. Maybe you guys can help...
I found that with my experience with Desoxyn that some statements (a.k.a. The Holy Grail of ADHD stimulants) to be biased in some manner.

I wouldn't give Desoxyn a second chance if it meant that I could use %100 of my brain. For the duration that I took it (about 2 months) I experience the worst side effects of any stimulant medication. Ultimately I guess it wasn't meant for me.

Rare cases do happen and in my case my mind and body did not get along very well with the attitude that Desoxyn brought to the table.
The Following User Says Thank You to twinch42085 For This Useful Post:
tambourine-man (11-12-11)
Old 11-12-11, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinch42085 View Post
I found that with my experience with Desoxyn that some statements (a.k.a. The Holy Grail of ADHD stimulants) to be biased in some manner.

I wouldn't give Desoxyn a second chance if it meant that I could use %100 of my brain. For the duration that I took it (about 2 months) I experience the worst side effects of any stimulant medication. Ultimately I guess it wasn't meant for me.

Rare cases do happen and in my case my mind and body did not get along very well with the attitude that Desoxyn brought to the table.
Hmm, very interesting. Could you give us a more detailed account? What side-effects did you experience?

I currently take 40mg of Dexedrine IR divided into three doses. I suspect two 15mg doses of Desoxyn would get me through the day just as well, but am in no hurry to switch.

Why, exactly, did you dislike Desoxyn?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-12-11, 02:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Hmm, very interesting. Could you give us a more detailed account? What side-effects did you experience?

I currently take 40mg of Dexedrine IR divided into three doses. I suspect two 15mg doses of Desoxyn would get me through the day just as well, but am in no hurry to switch.

Why, exactly, did you dislike Desoxyn?
I took 20mg/day

I had a significant increase in my blood pressure...normal bpm is 120/80 if not lower...but while taking desoxyn my bpm stayed at 135-140/85-90.....not bad but also not normal of my bp to be at those levels when on other stimulants.

Severe loss of appetite....everything tasted as if it were made of wax paper.

Insomnia was the worse being that 20mg isnt much; i managed to get 1-2 good hours of stage 4 REM.

To beat it all i had headaches with comparison to an oncoming migraine.....no history of anything related to headaches......

Vision level diminished due to excessive dry eyes.....no solution ever helped the dryness go away.

All i have to say is that experienced the medinces common side effects in a rare way
The Following User Says Thank You to twinch42085 For This Useful Post:
salleh (11-12-11)
Old 11-14-11, 04:43 PM

I find it very frustrating that it is nearly impossible to find find simple, factual information supporting the use of Desoxyn in ADHD. Experiential accounts abound, and are often very positive, but nearly everywhere every "report" on Desoxyn claiming to have an objective bias goes on and on about crystal meth, backwoods dope cooks, and Desoxyn's social stigma.

Reports of Dexedrine in the treatment of ADHD may mention that it can be habit forming when abused, but don't make claims like, "This drug may be effective in the treatment of ADHD, but destroys so many lives that it is only prescribed in the most severe cases."

I really want to know... objectively speaking, is Desoxyn radically more addictive than Dexedrine or Adderall?

I think it is, in fact, more similar to the difference between oxycodone and hydrocodone.

Oxycodone has become a notorious drug of abuse under the brand name OxyContin (well, now they have reformulated it, but that's another story...). Hydrocodone is considered less recreational, but is nevertheless just as abusable. If someone wants to abuse hydrocodone, they will. However, doctors will prescribe Lortabs far more readily than OxyContin because Lortabs have acetaminophen in them and have a reputation as being less abusable.

An addict with a Lortabs script will likely do more damage to their body because of the acetaminophen contained in the pills. If they want to abuse their pills, they will, regardless of whether they are oxy or hydro.

I think the same can be said for stimulants. Is there anything about Desoxyn that would turn an otherwise responsible patient into a raving speed freak?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-14-11, 09:43 PM

Compare the FDA fact sheets of Dexedrine...

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/dexedrine.html

And Desoxyn...

http://www.drugs.com/pro/desoxyn.html

Notice the massive warning that looms over the Desoxyn fact sheet and the constant belittling of legitimacy and emphasizing of risks throughout the text. Does Desoxyn deserve such treatment if Dexedrine does not? Do the dangers of one radically outweigh the other?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)

Last edited by tambourine-man; 11-14-11 at 10:11 PM..