ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-15-11, 08:56 PM

ShiraSunshine is on a distinguished road
My Adderall doesn't work!

Hi. I'm 30yrs old. I was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive a couple of months ago. I've known I had ADD for a long time now but never bothered to go and get diagnosed. However, I found myself getting more and more forgetful and inattentive to the point where it was affecting my relationship. I was also more unproductive at work than my usual unproductive self.
Like most people, my symptoms are:
not paying attention
hyperfixation on unimportant things
forgetting to do pretty much everything
forgetting what I am saying as I am speaking
talking incessantly
"lazzyness"
often tired
etc...

I first tried Ritalin for a month or so. The starting dossage was like a placebo and the upped dossage didn't work and made my heart palpatate.
I then started on the adderall. The starting dose of adderall was like a placebo as well. At 40mg ir a day, I felt more alert and my apetitite was suppressed a bit. Otherwise, it didn't work.

I am/was also on lamictol (200mg) for seizures (don't have a mood disorder) and celexa (40mg) for anxiety. I had read that celexa could reduce the effects of adderall and went down to 20mg, something I was planning to try for a while. However, my anxiety worsened, especially my social anxiety (of course stemming from the fact that I talk a lot and am scared I will annoy people) and anxiety over the meds not working.

I had an appointment last Friday and told the doc that the meds were not working. She upped my dossage to 60mg a day. I told her I wanted to go back on the 40mg of Celexa and she said 40mg celexa is too much even though I was on it for two years. She put me on 50mg of zoloft to take with the celexa instead. I've been taking the 60mg ir since sat and I feel no difference between that and the 40mgs.

I'm so frustrated because I felt like I could finally get some help but while I'm not as sleepy as normal (though I was perfectly able to nap in the afternoon on sun about 4 hours after taking the last dose), I still manage to waste my time and forget things, etc...
Why isn't the adderal working? Could it be the wrong drug for me? Should I try a different generic? name brand? Should I try xr? It's just so stressful...I've read a lot but I don't see people saying.."nope no negative side effects at 60mg, it just doesn't work at all"
I'm afraid that nothing will work...is this too premature...are there people who can't be treated? I'd love not to be on so much anxiety medication but I think so much anxiety stems from having had undiagnosed adhd for my entire life.

thanks for your help.
Old 11-17-11, 03:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,587 Times in 7,498 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Adderall doesn't work!

Which doctor prescribed the celexa to begin with?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-18-11, 12:54 AM

ShiraSunshine is on a distinguished road

I have been on Celexa for over 4 years. I was proscribed it originally by a Psych NP or PA who diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder. I started on 20mg and upon switching insursance, my doctors refilled it. Upped my dose to 40mg from my neurologist (since he was perscribing my seizure meds also). Not sure why that matters...but there it is.
Gotta stop hyperfixating on these message boards (though I would otherwise be hyperfixating on my droid wordsearh ap...which i will be compelled to do before bed even though I'm tired and already should be sleeping). Alas, the anxiety of it all...
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-11, 06:07 PM

kassem23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiraSunshine View Post
I have been on Celexa for over 4 years. I was proscribed it originally by a Psych NP or PA who diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder. I started on 20mg and upon switching insursance, my doctors refilled it. Upped my dose to 40mg from my neurologist (since he was perscribing my seizure meds also). Not sure why that matters...but there it is.
Gotta stop hyperfixating on these message boards (though I would otherwise be hyperfixating on my droid wordsearh ap...which i will be compelled to do before bed even though I'm tired and already should be sleeping). Alas, the anxiety of it all...
Switch to 20mg escitalopram (Lexapro), less side-effects, improved efficacy. Check the studies yourself @ PubMed.
Old 11-20-11, 08:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassem23 View Post
Switch to 20mg escitalopram (Lexapro), less side-effects, improved efficacy. Check the studies yourself @ PubMed.
Is Lexapro generic yet?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-21-11, 09:57 AM

Ps49556n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Is Lexapro generic yet?
No it is not generic.

It took me a long time before I found a med combination that gave me some therapeutic relief. I was on zoloft for 3 months going up to 200mg and had no relief. Switched to a combination of lexapro and bupropion and took them up to 40mg and 450mg respectively without very subtle relief. Then, I switched to 300mg effexor xr with 450mg bupropion xl and this combo seems to be working well, although not perfect. The sexual side effects are starting to catch up to me.

My point of this is that psychiatric medications' effects vary greatly between individuals and the only way to determine if they work for you is to put in the time for a trial with your MD.
Old 11-21-11, 12:45 PM

kassem23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Is Lexapro generic yet?
I'm pretty sure you can get generics, but it seems that it's not generic yet. "Together with the 6-month pediatric exclusivity, the final expiration date is March 14, 2012.", hrmpf.