ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-11, 10:20 PM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,722 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Atheist ADDF Community thread.

A thread for ADHDers to discuss how atheism/agnosticism have helped them with ADHD, comorbid conditions, and life in general.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by peripatetic; 11-16-11 at 12:07 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
APSJ (11-18-11), Crazygirl79 (11-16-11), meadd823 (01-09-12), pechemignonne (11-15-11), peripatetic (11-16-11)
Old 11-15-11, 11:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Atheist ADDF Community thread.

I think that not being fatalistic helps. Like if I believed that there was a God who had a plan for me, who made me have ADHD, or if I had chosen to have ADHD in this incarnation, it would have made me angrier..

Instead, I just kind of have a sh-- happens philosophy about it.

Apart from that, I also tend to try to find solutions within myself and in this world, and actively, instead of looking for (or just waiting for) external (spiritual) support.

I don't know that being an atheist helps, necessarily. But it doesn't hurt, either.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-27-14)
Old 11-15-11, 11:46 PM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold

Logic and Science > Theism at an infinity to zero ratio.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-11, 12:14 AM

Thanked 21,912 Times in 7,988 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronarTheBlack View Post
Logic and Science > Theism at an infinity to zero ratio.

it helps you by allowing you to feel superior?
Old 11-16-11, 12:26 AM

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,494 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I guess reason and logic keep me on the right track. They are the rails for my crazy train. I'm not sure how it all fits into my ADD, I didn't blame God for it because at the time when I still believed, I didn't know I had ADD. Now I just say "Oh well, I lost that genetic lottery".

Logic and reason are precious to me. I feel lucky to have a decent grasp on both. My ADD brain can mess with my emotions and though process, but at least I have an anchor.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (12-09-11), Abi (11-16-11), Crazygirl79 (01-26-13), ginniebean (11-17-11), LynneC (11-16-11), markadd (04-22-12), pechemignonne (11-16-11), Percuriosa (08-27-14)
Old 11-16-11, 12:49 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,722 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Spacemaster,

You sum up my feelings on the matter perfectly.

Great post.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Spacemaster (11-16-11)
Old 11-16-11, 03:11 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,248 Times in 8,588 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I am at a stage, at least as regards to grand questions of life and existence, where reason/logic on the one hand and spirituality in the broadest sense on the other begin to form a synthesis of sorts and are no longer in opposition.
aeon (11-17-11), Blueranne (12-03-11), Crazygirl79 (11-16-11), ginniebean (11-17-11), LynneC (11-16-11), meadd823 (12-06-11), namazu (12-03-11), Spacemaster (11-16-11), Unmanagable (11-16-11)
Old 11-16-11, 04:02 PM

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,053 Posts
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ has disabled reputation

so... what about ignosticism? is it included?
"In a twist my mind became free and I was aware of the hard workings of the natural world beyond the periphery of ordinary attention, where passions lose their meaning and history is in another dimension, without people, and great events pass without record or judgement" (Biophilia).

I change shapes just to hide in this place but I'm still I'm still an animal

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ = biophilia (w/ liberties taken)
Old 11-16-11, 05:17 PM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean agnosticism?

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 11-16-11, 07:15 PM

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,053 Posts
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ has disabled reputation

no, i mean ignosticism...

atheism doesn't suit me -- no way to test that there isn't "god."
agnosticism doesn't suit me -- i don't know if one can or can't know anything about "god," to say one does or doesn't know something about "god" means that an opinion about "god" has been formed...and because it can't be tested (except through, perhaps, personal experience -- which wouldn't cut it for me, if it was YOUR personal experience.)
ignosticism suits me better -- "god" is so loosely defined and understood through out time, cultures, and individuals that discussion or hypothesizing about "god" is meaningless, even if there were a testable claim and verifiable answer, so... it seems reasonable, to me, to hold off on any opinion of "god"...

Living in the gray...
"In a twist my mind became free and I was aware of the hard workings of the natural world beyond the periphery of ordinary attention, where passions lose their meaning and history is in another dimension, without people, and great events pass without record or judgement" (Biophilia).

I change shapes just to hide in this place but I'm still I'm still an animal

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ = biophilia (w/ liberties taken)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-17-11), meadd823 (12-06-11), peripatetic (11-16-11)
Old 11-16-11, 10:22 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ View Post
no, i mean ignosticism...

atheism doesn't suit me -- no way to test that there isn't "god."
agnosticism doesn't suit me -- i don't know if one can or can't know anything about "god," to say one does or doesn't know something about "god" means that an opinion about "god" has been formed...and because it can't be tested (except through, perhaps, personal experience -- which wouldn't cut it for me, if it was YOUR personal experience.)
ignosticism suits me better -- "god" is so loosely defined and understood through out time, cultures, and individuals that discussion or hypothesizing about "god" is meaningless, even if there were a testable claim and verifiable answer, so... it seems reasonable, to me, to hold off on any opinion of "god"...

Living in the gray...
Do you mean griy?
ginniebean (11-17-11)
Old 11-16-11, 11:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Marzipan has a spectacular aura aboutMarzipan has a spectacular aura about

I don't know how much believing in a god would affect anything, but I think not believing in the concept of a "soul," such as the lack of distinction between the mind and the soul or anything like that, perhaps makes dealing with meds that change your neurochemistry a very different experience.
Old 11-16-11, 11:31 PM

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,494 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

So is our god Seth, the egyptian god of chaos??
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (12-06-11)
Old 11-17-11, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemaster View Post
So is our god Seth, the egyptian god of chaos??
If there was no god,

would god need to be replaced?

What could god be replaced with?

What might be the purpose of god?

I tried to have a god,

but once I became this,

then I wasn't that.

And that doesn't work for me.

I need everything equal to one.

GBYR

I need that freedom to function.

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-17-11 at 07:09 PM..
Old 11-17-11, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
A thread for ADHDers to discuss how atheism/agnosticism have helped them with ADHD, comorbid conditions, and life in general.
I find this thread liberating Abi thanks.

The first day I started taking medication.

Something about the world changed when the medication worked.

For example,

Quote:
In the lyrics from the song written by Bob Marley, "Running Away".

"You must have done something wrong ,

Why can't you find out where you belong?"

I always took those lyrics as me doing something wrong.

And that I was the problem.

Guilty?

When in actual fact.

Many of my problems where caused by my ADHD impairment.

Because we didn't know I was ADHD.

my father and mother and I's relationship was not always nice.

I would always work physically extra hard helping him when exam time came.

And over time, my parents never got mad at me anymore.

They didn't even wake me up for school in high school.

But I still went.

I loved the word hypothesis.

It was nobody's fault because nobody knew what was ADHD.

My father never physically spanked me more than anybody else at the time.

But if we knew what we knew now life would have been much different for sure.

I wonder what we will know tomorrow?

Quote:
Try all choose good-Haile Selassie I

Quote:
Tough and Love are like Water and Oil, they don't mix.-Dr.G.Mate

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-17-11 at 07:56 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
APSJ (11-18-11)