ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-30-04, 07:11 PM

MindResearcher will become famous soon enough
Adderall to Dexadrine Spanuals

Hi all, its Mind geno, i havent been posting cause my darn computer went down. Took 4 days to figure it out.
But anyway, Iv been thinking, since the issue of mine, that the adderall is not lasting very long, and i actually need about 16 hrs of coverage, i need an xr version.
But my isurance wont pay for adderallxr. So the pharmacist told me, that it will cover dexedrine. ANd also dexedrine spanuals. Great. Now i have to talk to my doctor in 5 days. I alsways wanted to try dexedrine.
From what i read, dexedrine spanuals, last at least up to 10 hrs give or take. Im not sure of the dose, but i know it may be a bit more potent that adderall when it comes to mental stimulation so, imagine they have a 20mg pill. So if i give my doctor this info and about how i want to try a extended version. Then also, the doctor can write me another dose of say the regular release which would last another 4-6 hrs, so i would get 16 hr coverage. More like 20mg dex spanuals or 15mg if thats the top range, and say 10mg of dexedrine SR, dosing would be taking the dex spanuals when i wake up, then 10hrs later, take the reg dex. This will keep the blood levels of the drug steady, as long as 10hrs is when the drug starts to wean. But due to my tolerance, even if i took it a bit to early, im sure it would not be too much, for one coming off 90mg of adderall. Iv read that 30mg of adderall is around 20mg of dexedrine. Dex for most people will cause less anxiety, and more mental stimulation, and a bit more of social anxiety/phobia help due to the pure d-isomer, which is more dopamine release. Also, i can see abuse issures a bit worse, if this drug causes more euphoria, but believe me, it would not last.
But if dexedrine works as it does for other persons who made claims about it, and since adderall has actually worked tremendous for my add, i can see an even better improvement. I still lack social interaction for some reason. But i know why. Because the first week, when i felt the adderall, i was alot more social, now im not. So, it more of a feeling good mentally type thing, which makes me want to go out and mingle.

Im going to post on another forum on here , about some good infomation iv got from neurotransmitter.net. A bit in depth but informative.

But has anyone had alot of luck on dexedrine or switched from adderall to dex? I mean im not looking for it to really boost my mood, or even concentration,just maybe "now wear off as fast" , improve my social ability, and give me a bit more of a dopamine release. But if not, and he doesnt agree with it, I will then ask him to add say welbutrin with it, to increase some effects. So then i dont have to take as much. And i dont think he would ever perscribe me both, say 40mg of adderall and 15mg of spanuals. Ritalin is out of the question. It makes me non social, quiet, but does allow me to stay up and study and hybernate and also causes more anxiety , and then i have to take a benzo up to 1mg, just to quell the effects. Im gonna post like i said a long post about what i got from a neuro site.

Mind Researcher
Old 10-02-04, 11:36 PM

KISSgirl is on a distinguished road
Red face

ooo...let me know how it goes if you do get to try the dexedrine. i'm on adderall now and have wondered what difference would be with taking dexedrine instead.

and now i'm off to check out neurotransmitter.net - thanks!

jen
Old 10-03-04, 06:12 PM

pharmacy boy is on a distinguished road
Im going to my doc's on thursday to hopefully be switched from ritalin to dexadrine, i was formerly on adderall, he switched my to ritalin, and i dont react well to it, so hopefully ill go on dexadrine if not back to adderall. However i am going to ask if i can just get the regular not the sustained release because i need more control over when and how long i dose b/c of my hectic, everchanging schedule. good luck hope you get what you want!
Old 10-04-04, 02:35 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
There is not going to be much difference, in practical terms, between Adderall and dexedrine - the amphetamines pretty much work in the same way with minor differences in their strength, on a mg for mg basis and the length of time they last - there aren't differences in dopamine or other neurotransmitter release that would make dexedrine more habit forming than Adderall. Adderall is a mix of amphetamine salts (20% of which is dextroamphetamine sulphate - A.K.A. Dexedrine) that is supposed to make it "smoother" than just taking one salt alone - in theory the differing 1/2 lives of these different salts means it tapers off more gradually. I find dexedrine pretty smooth myself, especially when compared to ritalin, which I found to be very "up and down".
I doubt that most people could tell the difference.
Old 05-28-09, 01:13 PM

Chris Read is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall vs. Dexedrine Spansules

I have taken both regular Adderall (Amphetamine salts combo) and dextroamphetanine spansules. Dex wins hands down.

-lasts forever (16+ hours). I only Take one large dose in the morning.
-no rebound (meaning, no ADHD x 100).
-no anxiety.
-improved mood, not euphoria.
-mind clear as a diamond and a can-do attitude.
-I have not developed any tolerance to it.

Downsides:

-you have to take it very early in the morning or it will keep you awake.
-takes 1 to 2 hours to start making its full effect (I take 15 mg. of salt combo to jump start it).
-zero appetite, I forget to eat. Still it won't preclude me from eating.
-after the 16 hours of "joy" I go into hyperfocus. (great for nightime reading).

Of course, your mileage may vary, since everybody is different.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Read For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (07-20-16)
Old 05-28-09, 02:22 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough
Re: Adderall to Dexadrine Spanuals

i am on Vyvanse now and would like to try dex spansules...who makes them and are they brand or generic?

i've asked my pdoc twice and says adderall, dex and vyvanse are all almost same...but I now know thats not tru
Old 05-28-09, 02:57 PM
Forum Guru

Maurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindResearcher View Post
Hi all, its Mind geno, i havent been posting cause my darn computer went down. Took 4 days to figure it out.
But anyway, Iv been thinking, since the issue of mine, that the adderall is not lasting very long, and i actually need about 16 hrs of coverage, i need an xr version.
But my isurance wont pay for adderallxr. So the pharmacist told me, that it will cover dexedrine. ANd also dexedrine spanuals. Great. Now i have to talk to my doctor in 5 days. I alsways wanted to try dexedrine.
From what i read, dexedrine spanuals, last at least up to 10 hrs give or take. Im not sure of the dose, but i know it may be a bit more potent that adderall when it comes to mental stimulation so, imagine they have a 20mg pill. So if i give my doctor this info and about how i want to try a extended version. Then also, the doctor can write me another dose of say the regular release which would last another 4-6 hrs, so i would get 16 hr coverage. More like 20mg dex spanuals or 15mg if thats the top range, and say 10mg of dexedrine SR, dosing would be taking the dex spanuals when i wake up, then 10hrs later, take the reg dex. This will keep the blood levels of the drug steady, as long as 10hrs is when the drug starts to wean. But due to my tolerance, even if i took it a bit to early, im sure it would not be too much, for one coming off 90mg of adderall. Iv read that 30mg of adderall is around 20mg of dexedrine. Dex for most people will cause less anxiety, and more mental stimulation, and a bit more of social anxiety/phobia help due to the pure d-isomer, which is more dopamine release. Also, i can see abuse issures a bit worse, if this drug causes more euphoria, but believe me, it would not last.
But if dexedrine works as it does for other persons who made claims about it, and since adderall has actually worked tremendous for my add, i can see an even better improvement. I still lack social interaction for some reason. But i know why. Because the first week, when i felt the adderall, i was alot more social, now im not. So, it more of a feeling good mentally type thing, which makes me want to go out and mingle.

Im going to post on another forum on here , about some good infomation iv got from neurotransmitter.net. A bit in depth but informative.

But has anyone had alot of luck on dexedrine or switched from adderall to dex? I mean im not looking for it to really boost my mood, or even concentration,just maybe "now wear off as fast" , improve my social ability, and give me a bit more of a dopamine release. But if not, and he doesnt agree with it, I will then ask him to add say welbutrin with it, to increase some effects. So then i dont have to take as much. And i dont think he would ever perscribe me both, say 40mg of adderall and 15mg of spanuals. Ritalin is out of the question. It makes me non social, quiet, but does allow me to stay up and study and hybernate and also causes more anxiety , and then i have to take a benzo up to 1mg, just to quell the effects. Im gonna post like i said a long post about what i got from a neuro site.

Mind Researcher
It sounds like the Adderall is working well for you, just not long enough. Why not just switch to Aderall XR???
And no, I seriously doubt that any doctor is going to prescribe you BOTH!! Get real.
Why do you want change anyway, why not just get another dose?? Something for you to consider.
Old 05-29-10, 07:18 PM

nickel76 is a jewel in the roughnickel76 is a jewel in the roughnickel76 is a jewel in the rough

You do realize that post was 6 years ago right?