ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 01-05-12, 10:07 PM

Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,332 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of
Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Little Update:

I decided to keep 10mg of Desoxyn for the evenings, but take Adderall during the day to save money. I just don't think $500 for generic Desoxyn is at all cool... But I love my Desoxyn.
How's that working out so far? I hope you will be successful enough to be able to afford it soon!!
Old 01-06-12, 04:23 AM
Contributor

Yellow will become famous soon enough

interesting journal. i missed one thing, does anyone take abilify with desoxyn? cuz my dex doesnt work half as well as it used to since abilify and i wanted to know if it would be the same for desxn since they are amphetamine family?
Old 01-06-12, 04:26 AM
Contributor

Yellow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
I'm wondering if taking an SSRI (like Celexa, which I take currently) helps to prevent any potential neurotoxicity caused by Desoxyn's serotonin agonism. Will an SSRI have neuroprotective effects similar to those which methylphenidate has, only with serotonin?

Anyone know?
yes or no, theoretically speaking from a pharmacological standpoint, it can either be neuroprotective for ur se synapses or it can cause serotonin syndrome....

the only way to determine is by monitoring doses and effect, scary but better safe than sorry
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-12, 07:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post
How's that working out so far? I hope you will be successful enough to be able to afford it soon!!
It seems to be working well. Much easier to dose and $300 less expensive. I just couldn't give up the Desoxyn, but this is actually a very nice compromise. The Adderall has certain benefits that the Desoxyn does not (Adderall is much better for writing) but is overall inferior to Desoxyn. But I still have a 10mg dose of Desoxyn to work with each day.

15mg of Adderall in the morning.

15mg of Adderall in the afternoon.

10mg of Desoxyn in the evening.

An unusual combination, but quite effective so far.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 01-10-12, 02:45 AM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

When I have proper medical insurance, I will drop the Adderall and go with an all Desoxyn schedule. Until then, I consider myself quite lucky to have reached this effective and affordable compromise.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 01-13-12, 12:37 AM

redrose is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread. I have taken Desoxyn together with Dexedrine IR for many years. My opinion is that they are nothing alike, but are extremely complimentary; two halves of a whole. I describe it as left brain/right brain. Dexedrine focuses to get the task done. Desoxyn allows you to not only "notice the flowers" but to stop and smell them on the way to the task. I find it allows awareness and socialization without distraction. It allows thinking without losing track. To concentrate and tackle the mundane however, it doesn't get the job done. That's Dexedrine's job. I don't know why doctors don't get that where one side of the brain is impaired, it''s compatible function on the opposite side is lacking as well. ADD needs both meds to feel normal.
And as for Barr 5 vs 10's- they are both a crap shoot batch to batch. Some batches are Strattera mis-colored, and a month of hell. The worst quality control of any medication I have ever taken. My hope is that Mikart practices strict quality control. That's all I ask. Dosing is just a tweak with consistancy.

Last edited by redrose; 01-13-12 at 12:59 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redrose For This Useful Post:
purpleToes (01-13-12), relxdd (06-24-12)
Old 01-13-12, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrose View Post
Interesting thread. I have taken Desoxyn together with Dexedrine IR for many years. My opinion is that they are nothing alike, but are extremely complimentary; two halves of a whole. I describe it as left brain/right brain. Dexedrine focuses to get the task done. Desoxyn allows you to not only "notice the flowers" but to stop and smell them on the way to the task. I find it allows awareness and socialization without distraction. It allows thinking without losing track. To concentrate and tackle the mundane however, it doesn't get the job done. That's Dexedrine's job. I don't know why doctors don't get that where one side of the brain is impaired, it''s compatible function on the opposite side is lacking as well. ADD needs both meds to feel normal.
And as for Barr 5 vs 10's- they are both a crap shoot batch to batch. Some batches are Strattera mis-colored, and a month of hell. The worst quality control of any medication I have ever taken. My hope is that Mikart practices strict quality control. That's all I ask. Dosing is just a tweak with consistancy.

I agree with everything you say here. Desoxyn is NOT the best medication for those severely effected by motivational deficits. That would be Adderall. Desoxyn doesn't do much for motivation, BUT it is by far the most tolerable stimulant I've ever taken.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 01-14-12, 04:00 PM

redrose is on a distinguished road

Tolerable it is. Almost perfect. Just like GSK dex was. Together they make life so manageable! Barr Adderal makes my heart race tho, and I can't even walk up a flight of stairs on it. My body does what it should when only my brain is properly medicated.
Someday hopefully, they will leave the chemical intact and make the whole medication. I understand that pilots only needed to get to their destination, and only that piece was required. We however, need to multi-task.
Good luck with your journey, and thanks for your hard work!
Old 01-27-12, 02:25 AM

GammaPaladin is on a distinguished road

I've found this thread an enlightening read.

I was initially prescribed concerta, starting at 18mg, and then going to 36 after the first week. After the first month trial, my doctor and I decided to go to 54 mg to try and deal with the fact that it wore off far too early in the day.

Despite the dosage increase, it remained far too short-lived for me. So we switched to Adderall XR, 10mg a day for a week and then a bump to 20mg. At first it seemed wonderful because it lasted longer and had milder anxiety/tension/appetite suppression effects (Adderall makes me less hungry, concerta gives me anorexia... I literally [i]can't[i] eat while it's in effect).

However, after a more protracted period of use I've come to the realization that while it provides a longer term concentration and working memory boost, it fails utterly to provide the ability to multitask, awareness of situation and time, and so on. It provides me a hyperfocus on one single thing, and I tend to just kind of do one thing and then do the next and the next without thinking, but that results in me neglecting a lot of responsibilities, missing appointments, and spending a lot of time doing pointless things without realizing it.

The concerta provided significant improvements to my ability to split focus and deal with annoyances, as well as awareness of time and surroundings.

I had been thinking that a switch to dexodrine would be pointless if the problem was over-focus, as I had read that it was very like adderall but with less body effects. But reading your posts here I'm actually wondering if it might be worth exploring dexadrine or desoxyn since you say that the hyperfocus is part of the side effects which adderall has and these don't.

Your opinions of adderall seem to match up with mine, although unlike you I actually did have good results on methylphenidate, just not as good as I'd hoped, with too early a crash and fairly annoying side effects.

Would you recommend looking into dexadrine/desoxyn for someone with my experience? My psychiatrist is actually very good about taking my research and feelings into account, so I could probably get either if I make a good case for it, and there seems to be a good argument for it from what I've read here.
Old 01-27-12, 02:29 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention (Sorry to double post, but I'm still being moderated as a new user so I can't see the post in order to make an edit), I actually do have serious motivation/procrastination issues, which the concerta helped with, but adderall [i]doesn't[i], despite its reputation for it.
Old 01-27-12, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPaladin View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention (Sorry to double post, but I'm still being moderated as a new user so I can't see the post in order to make an edit), I actually do have serious motivation/procrastination issues, which the concerta helped with, but adderall [i]doesn't[i], despite its reputation for it.
I'd recommend you try Focalin (dexmethylphenidate). It is a cleaner version of Concerta/Ritalin (methylphenidate).

However, Dexedrine and Desoxyn are wonderful options as well. Desoxyn is NOT motivating in the way that that Adderall or Dexedrine are. For this reason, you may want to try Focalin or Dexedrine first.

Desoxyn is a superior stimulant. Dexedrine is actually equally effective, but not nearly as smooth.

Dexedrine is like Adderall without the hyperfocus. Desoxyn is really an entirely different animal. It's very smooth, gentle... almost relaxing, but with a whopping dose of mental clarity.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 01-27-12, 04:52 PM

Interesting, thank you for the feedback. I would want to try Dexedrine first in any case as, while I do have a good relationship with my psychiatrist so far, I'd prefer not to go straight to "Hey can you prescribe me some meth?"

I will see what he has to say about Focalin and Dexedrine both at my next appointment, and thank you once again
Old 02-02-12, 10:38 PM

sun7199 is on a distinguished road

I got on desoxyn after a year and a half of adderall and it's turned my life around. I'm a more responsible, mature, and overall better person. I advise anyone that really has the impulsive type ADHD to try this med out- it's definitely worth it. email me if you have any questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to sun7199 For This Useful Post:
relxdd (06-24-12)
Old 02-09-12, 01:50 AM

Wow! I was reading through this journal again and I'm quite proud of it! It is so difficult to find decent information on this under prescribed stimulant.

I still prefer Desoxyn to any other stimulant I have taken. However, I find Adderall and Dexedrine have their uses as well. For both financial and therapeutic flexibility, I typically take Dexedrine/Dexoxyn or Adderall/Desoxyn.

Adderall will always be my go-to pill when I have writing to do. I can meet any dealine with the help of Adderall. BUT I can't take Adderall unless I am able to immediately throw myself into a project. It makes me hyperfocus like mad!

Desoxyn is wonderfully smooth and subtle. Dexedrine is smack dab in the middle between Adderall and Desoxyn. All three are wonderful medications, but if forced to choose only one, I would not hesitate to pick Desoxyn.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 02-09-12, 12:03 PM

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I will see if my Psychiatrist will be understanding enough to let me try Desoxyn next time I see him this month.
On a tiny dose of Dexedrine I have had severe chest pains at times (my whole chest area) and chest/heart tightness at random times.

I went to my heart doctor and will be put on a holter-type monitor soon. But the EKG said I have a normal heart beat (off Dexedrine). My blood pressure was too low though.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE