ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 10-02-04, 10:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

SamCurt is on a distinguished road
Concerta/Standard Ritalin Conversions?

My psych mentioned Concerta to me today. He said it's a 8-hour drug, so, since I've been using 10mg Ritalin b.i.d, the 18mg tabs would be enough. However, I know Alza said it's for 12 hours, I thought it's 27mg that would suit-- but the 27mg version is new here and he didn't have the sample bottle for 27mg and the other strength he has is 36mg and both thought it's too bog of a dose.

So, how is Ritalin 10mg bid translate into a Concerta pill dosage?
Despite being classically autistic (of the Kanner's type), I have no will to join in ASD discussions as, well, I tried twice and could hardly fit in ASD communities, and I more see myself as a nerd in the general sense despite being completely asocial.
Old 10-04-04, 07:03 AM
Contributor

Sc@tterBr@in_UK has disabled reputation
I'd say 36mg, if you need the level equivalent to 10mg. It will however equate to three rather than 2 doses.

The 18mg will only release about 4 mg immediately, which is likely too low a level to work for you if you were on 10mg previously.

[Diagnosed HFA/AS 'with considerable attentional dysfunction in December 2003]
Old 10-04-04, 01:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc@tterBr@in_UK
I'd say 36mg, if you need the level equivalent to 10mg. It will however equate to three rather than 2 doses.
We argued whether a Concerta equate 2 (him) or 2.5 (me) doses. Anyway, normal Ritalin certainly has a short half-life on me...
Despite being classically autistic (of the Kanner's type), I have no will to join in ASD discussions as, well, I tried twice and could hardly fit in ASD communities, and I more see myself as a nerd in the general sense despite being completely asocial.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-04, 09:12 AM
Contributor

Sc@tterBr@in_UK has disabled reputation
It has a short half-life on me, too.

"Officially" Concerta equates to 3 doses, although it does not last 12 hours in most people. If Ritalin lasts less than 4 hours for you, then it's likely that Concerta will last less than 12, perhaps more like 8.

[Diagnosed HFA/AS 'with considerable attentional dysfunction in December 2003]
Old 10-05-04, 05:16 PM

ADD_Ed is on a distinguished road
"Official" conversion chart available

There is a simple and straightforward conversion table on the website for Concerta at http://www.concerta.net. Of course it is in the "health care professionals" section but we aren't bashful about looking in places like that when we want information are we? Specifically it is here: http://www.concerta.net/html/concerta/hcp/dosing.jsp?
Old 10-05-04, 05:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
18 mg of concerta is supposed to be similar to taking 5 mg 3 times a day.

36 mg of concerta is supposed to be similar to taking 10 mg 3 times a day.

So if you were used to take 10 mg of short acting ritalin then 27 mgs of concerta would not be enough.
Old 10-06-04, 01:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

Tried the first Concerta 18mg today. Definitively too low a dosage for me.
Old 10-18-04, 11:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

Something to continue the story:

Last Saturday I've seen the psych, and said 18mg of Concerta isn't giving me any effects. Well, he said, "I gave you 15mg a day, 10mg qd mornings and 5mg qd afternoons, and you can change it to 5mg t.i.d which is similar to 18mg of Concerta-- it feels weaker to you since it's slow releasing."

I don't know how to deal with this idiocy. Esp I think I'd have a problem changing doctors.
Old 10-20-04, 04:37 PM
Contributor

neuroangel is on a distinguished road
Do you have to see that doc because of insurance? You can call your insurance company and get a list of docs in your area that are covered. There's no need for you to be frustrated with this guy when there are other professionals out there.

As far as dosing goes, I'm taking the 36 mg right now and it feels about the same as when I was taking the 54 mg. So maybe some people are more sensitive to the ritalin effects than others.

Good luck!

Cyndi
"But the man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less cocksure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning to the unfathomable Mystery which it tries, forever vainly, to comprehend." Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception
Old 10-21-04, 10:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

Nah. I'm not in the US, and this doc is the 3rd I've seen who finally got be a diagnosis. I would be pretty in question whether would others diagnose me that as well.
Old 10-21-04, 08:00 PM
Contributor

neuroangel is on a distinguished road
You don't necessarily need the Dx to get the prescription. You just need to see a doctor that aggrees with you, that it would be beneficial for you to be on a stimulant medication. Whether it's for weight loss, adhd, narcolepsy, etc. It is a multipurpose drug to some degree. At least that's what I have read on the subject.

Cyndi
"But the man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less cocksure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning to the unfathomable Mystery which it tries, forever vainly, to comprehend." Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception