ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 11-30-11, 03:50 PM
Contributor

gatorADDe has a spectacular aura aboutgatorADDe has a spectacular aura about
Is Strattera any good?

There doesn't seem to be as much information available for this drug as the others. I looked around on youtube trying to find an informative video on it's effects but couldn't really find one. Recently, I've been considering a non-stimulant medication as a longer-term treatment for my Adult ADD. I've been taking Adderall XR 15mg for awhile, but it makes me socially weird. As much as it helps me focus at work, i just don't think it's worth feeling so socially withdrawn. I read Strattera is actually an antidepressant (NRI), this sounds perfect for me because I do have a depressive side and the stimulants make me a little antsy. For those of you with experience taking this medication or happen to know a lot about it, is it any good? I also read there's no generic and is expensive , but if it's good i don't mind forking over the $. Thanks
Old 11-30-11, 05:53 PM

BioVader is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Strattera any good?

I just can't get past the $200+/Month dollar amount.Well I could if I wanted to get rid of some things to free up some money. Car, Rent, Gas, electric, cable, phone etc.
Old 12-01-11, 04:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

lateralthinker has a spectacular aura aboutlateralthinker has a spectacular aura about

Right here is your best source of information. The simplest way to break it down is that you should expect several side effects and it will take several weeks before you see noticeable changes.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-11, 05:57 PM
Contributor

200$+ a month?! that's absurd...
Old 12-01-11, 06:54 PM

That was full cost for me. Not sure how much it would be if my insurance actually covered it.
Old 12-01-11, 10:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,738 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

just gonna attach myself to this thread, if you don't mind.... I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
Old 12-02-11, 12:33 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioVader View Post
I just can't get past the $200+/Month dollar amount.Well I could if I wanted to get rid of some things to free up some money. Car, Rent, Gas, electric, cable, phone etc.
Yeah, i thought that sounded like A LOT. It sucks they don't have generics for this yet, it'd prob be a lot cheaper. i also like that this isn't a controlled substance so I don't have to worry about driving across town to pick up my adderall RX every month. How did you like it when you took it? people seem to hit or miss with this one.
Old 12-02-11, 02:07 AM

Well I was some seeing some benefit with focusing at work. Having a little more restraint with thinking before I speak instead of speaking before I think. Not sure if I can put that on the med or more toward awareness. My new hyperfocus I would say now is full steam a head on educating myself on everything I can find on ADHD. Close friends and family will probably not be inviting me back over anytime soon unfortunately. :-(

Just being off the medication one day and on a medication that only offers 8 hour coverage leaves me hoping I will be able to give strattera another try real soon. I only had 7 to 8 weeks to go for maximum benefit. Who knows how much more could have improved in that time.
The Following User Says Thank You to BioVader For This Useful Post:
gatorADDe (12-02-11)
Old 12-02-11, 02:18 AM
Contributor

Yeah that's another one of my concerns. I read it could take a few weeks to kick in to it's full effects. 7-8 weeks though?
Old 12-02-11, 11:11 AM

I was on Strattera for 5 weeks at 60 mg and making some progress... That was leaving an additional 7-8 weeks to see the potential full benefits of the medication. Sure there was one side effect I could have lived without but I felt the benefits were more important while that side effect could be dealt with later if there were still complications down the road.
Old 12-02-11, 08:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,738 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTGATOR View Post
Yeah that's another one of my concerns. I read it could take a few weeks to kick in to it's full effects. 7-8 weeks though?
not sure what you're taking now, but I did some poking around and it seems that docs will leave you on stimulant meds for a couple weeks until the strattera builds up in your system.

but yeah, I hear you. The whole 7-8 weeks thing freaks me out. also had a really bad time with vyvanse. it left me pretty wary about giving something else another try! I guess I need "adderall training wheels."
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
Old 12-02-11, 09:19 PM

foggedup has a spectacular aura aboutfoggedup has a spectacular aura about

I haven't taken Strattera but something caught my eye with your post. You're socially withdrawn and antsy on Adderall, so want to switch to a NRI. I took Adderall for a month and while I'm treated for social phobia, it came back in full force on that med. Focused at work but a social retard, afraid to speak, and when I did words didn't come out right. It also gave me the anxious feeling, my heart rate would race at 150bpm after a mild walk to the water cooler. I switched to dexedrine and I'm socially normal again, and the racing heart has chilled out. Plus I can focus at work still.

I think the reason was because Adderall has that l-amphetamine component, which works on the norepinephrine system. Dexedrine doesn't. A NRI antidepressant works on the norepinephrine system solely. So my thinking is that a NRI would make me a trembling, scared, withdrawn, quiet, quivering mess!

If you do want to veer away from stimulants, have you considered Wellbutrin? It's an anti-d and works on both the dopamine and norepinephrine systems... I just ask because I would hate to see the bad stuff you experience on Adderall be even worse in a long-acting med that takes 2 month to reach effectiveness, and will probably take that long to stop having its effects.

(personally I take an SSRI)
The Following User Says Thank You to foggedup For This Useful Post:
gatorADDe (12-03-11)
Old 12-03-11, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

WorkAholic will become famous soon enough

Strattera free 30 day supply:

http://voucher.strattera.com/form_adult.cfm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkAholic For This Useful Post:
BioVader (12-04-11), very optimistic (12-03-11)
Old 12-03-11, 04:47 PM

very optimistic is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Is Strattera any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkAholic View Post
Strattera free 30 day supply:

http://voucher.strattera.com/form_adult.cfm
This is great! You just saved me $57.

Thank you.
Old 12-03-11, 05:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

WorkAholic will become famous soon enough