ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 12-01-11, 06:19 PM

ask1989 is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse vs Adderall XR appetite side effects

Hey I've been reading this site recently to see people's experiences with Vyvanse and appetite suppression. It's a huge concern for me since I lost an insanely unhealthy amount of weight once.

I'm 21 right now. My teachers convinced my parents to get me tested when I was 14 due to some incidents in school. I went to one psychiatrist, then another, then another, and all 3 said I was moderate to severe ADHD.

So they put me on Adderall XR. I used it all through high school. I started at 10 mg, and by the time I was 17 I was on 30mg of Adderall XR. (I did try Strattera for a while in high school, but it didn't do anything for me)

Then when I went to college, I wanted to make friends, so I stubbornly decided to attempt a semester without medication since the Adderall made me extremely anti-social. I failed out.

So I was put back on the Adderall XR and I started passing. The problem was, I was never hungry so I forgot to eat. Sometimes I went 3 days without eating anything. After about 9 months on it, I came home and my parents saw how skinny I was and they freaked out.
An ideal weight for my build is around 160 pounds. I weighed 115.

So the doctor took me off the adderall and put me on Concerta 54mg and a weight gain plan. I've been on it for about a year now. I'm back up to 155 pounds now, but Concerta doesn't help me focus as much as Adderall did. This is evident by my plummeting grades.
But at the same time the Concerta doesn't affect my appetite as much as the Adderall, which is the only reason I'm still on it.

I have an appointment with my doctor in January. I was thinking about trying Vyvanse but am very worried about the appetite effects.

Is there anyone here who has taken both Adderall XR and Vyvanse? If so, how did Vyvanse affect your appetite compared to the Adderall?

Sorry it's such a long post, but this is a huge concern for me and I'd appreciate any input.
Old 12-04-11, 06:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

cillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the rough
Re: Vyvanse vs Adderall XR appetite side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask1989 View Post
Hey I've been reading this site recently to see people's experiences with Vyvanse and appetite suppression. It's a huge concern for me since I lost an insanely unhealthy amount of weight once.

I'm 21 right now. My teachers convinced my parents to get me tested when I was 14 due to some incidents in school. I went to one psychiatrist, then another, then another, and all 3 said I was moderate to severe ADHD.

So they put me on Adderall XR. I used it all through high school. I started at 10 mg, and by the time I was 17 I was on 30mg of Adderall XR. (I did try Strattera for a while in high school, but it didn't do anything for me)

Then when I went to college, I wanted to make friends, so I stubbornly decided to attempt a semester without medication since the Adderall made me extremely anti-social. I failed out.

So I was put back on the Adderall XR and I started passing. The problem was, I was never hungry so I forgot to eat. Sometimes I went 3 days without eating anything. After about 9 months on it, I came home and my parents saw how skinny I was and they freaked out.
An ideal weight for my build is around 160 pounds. I weighed 115.

So the doctor took me off the adderall and put me on Concerta 54mg and a weight gain plan. I've been on it for about a year now. I'm back up to 155 pounds now, but Concerta doesn't help me focus as much as Adderall did. This is evident by my plummeting grades.
But at the same time the Concerta doesn't affect my appetite as much as the Adderall, which is the only reason I'm still on it.

I have an appointment with my doctor in January. I was thinking about trying Vyvanse but am very worried about the appetite effects.

Is there anyone here who has taken both Adderall XR and Vyvanse? If so, how did Vyvanse affect your appetite compared to the Adderall?

Sorry it's such a long post, but this is a huge concern for me and I'd appreciate any input.
I haven't had any appetite problems with Vyvanse. I did have a few with Adderall XR/IR but they weren't horrible. Adderall can also raise your metabolism, so that could have also caused your weight loss, too.

One thing I did experience on Vyvanse that was really odd was a big appetite increase, i. e. eating all the time. I think this may have been due to a trypsin deficiency (the enzyme that cleaves Vyvanse's d-amp from its lysine bond) as my appetite has normalized since I added a pancreatin supplement to my regimen.

Or I could be experiencing how Vyvanse is supposed to work (finally!) and it's keeping my appetite at normal levels.

Regardless, Vyvanse probably won't affect your appetite as much but there's still always that possibility. Good luck.
Old 12-04-11, 06:34 PM
Contributor

Chris2 has disabled reputation

The max dose recommenced for Concerta is 72mg, so that is something to consider. I did that for a wile and it did have side effects for me. And I am now on vyvanse.
Old 12-09-11, 11:19 PM

shsnasorks is on a distinguished road

Vyvanse is nothing more than time released Dexedrine. It was developed to take over Adderall's 'brand name' revenue as the generic is more prescribed.

What is the difference in the two, ie Vyvanse vs Adderall?

Vyvanse is strictly made up of D-amphetamine.

Adderall is several forms of D-amphetamine and L-amphetamine.

There are theories on D vs L amphetamines.. and you can look them up - but basically given that Adderall has both forms it has a broader range of action, and thus is commonly reported to be 'stronger'.

Also, due to the makeup of these two, yes, the Vyvanse is commonly reported to stop working for no apparent reason, and/or lose its effectiveness to a considerable degree.

The only downside I can see about you switching to a comparable dose of Adderall would be the possibility of increased anxiety. Though a trial period of Adderall would certainly be worthy. Consult with your doctor and describe the problems, and your request. There shouldn't be a problem in shifting.
Old 01-07-12, 01:03 PM

NewHere86 is on a distinguished road

Hi Ask1989! Although I was only diagnosed just over a year ago, I've already tried the whole spectrum of prescrips and dosages starting with Concerta, then Adderall XR and now Vyvanse. I had some weight loss once I got up to about 40mg/day of the Adderall XR - I lost about 10lbs over 2 or 3 months (however, I also exercise almost daily and try to watch what I eat). But I definitely noticed a huge drop in my appetite. When I noticed that the Adderall wasn't really helping me anymore, even when I got up to 60mg/day, my clinician had me try Vyvanse and put me on the highest dosage of 70mg/day right from the start. Besides the effects it's had on my ADHD symptoms, I've gained back about 5-6lbs of my original 10lbs lost, and have definitely noticed that my appetite is almost back to what it was before I started taking any stimulants.

However, I have had to become very aware of it to make sure that I'm eating regularly. So for example, I've found that as long as I eat breakfast in the morning, I'll have a typical appetite throughout the day. But if I skip it for any reason and take the Vyvanse on an empty stomach, I really won't be hungry at all throughout the day and could easily go 12 or 14 hours without eating anything.

So my advice for you if you do decide to try the Vyvanse, would be to make sure that eating something, even a small breakfast granola bar or a banana, becomes part of your daily morning routine. That should help keep up your appetite for the rest of the day so you can hopefully maintain a healthy weight rather than dropping so much!

Hope this help!
Old 01-16-12, 08:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

DegreeHunter is on a distinguished road

Since starting Adderall XR 20mg I feel like I'm more hungry then usual haha, every couple of hours I feel extremly hungry and need to be eating something.
Old 01-16-12, 08:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,146 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegreeHunter View Post
Since starting Adderall XR 20mg I feel like I'm more hungry then usual haha, every couple of hours I feel extremly hungry and need to be eating something.
It can affect some people that way. Although, it could be that you're thirsty, too. I do have to drink more water than I'm used to (or like) since I started Adderall XR and IR (in April or May of last year).

I don't notice any appetite suppression to speak of, but I'm not eating more either. I did experience some in the beginning, but that was short lived.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 01-23-12, 02:48 AM

missxfadexaway is on a distinguished road

I have been prescribed adderall xr (30 mg) then was recommended to try Vyvanse (70mg) which are supposedly equivalent. To be honest I personally did way better with adderall xr. It did restrict my appetite but I learned to have a timed eating schedule. Actually it made me eat healthy & exercise, but I managed to sustain a healthy weight for my height. As for
Vyvanse....I for some reason zone out more on it, it loses it's effectivenes in the long run ( but with any stimulant it's evitable), I feel it's made me more vulnerable to mood swings, insomnia has worsen, also for me it has increased my appetite. I always have the urge to eat while on it, which has caused me to gain alot of weight which has led me to feeling depressed. So I definitely feel Vyvanse is not for me, I am going to try to get my Adderall xr back asap. Good luck with finding what's right for you.
Old 07-21-12, 11:24 PM

jeem132 is on a distinguished road

vyvanse was invented as a new extended release after the patent on the adderalxr expired in 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by shsnasorks View Post
Vyvanse is nothing more than time released Dexedrine. It was developed to take over Adderall's 'brand name' revenue as the generic is more prescribed.

What is the difference in the two, ie Vyvanse vs Adderall?

Vyvanse is strictly made up of D-amphetamine.

Adderall is several forms of D-amphetamine and L-amphetamine.

There are theories on D vs L amphetamines.. and you can look them up - but basically given that Adderall has both forms it has a broader range of action, and thus is commonly reported to be 'stronger'.

Also, due to the makeup of these two, yes, the Vyvanse is commonly reported to stop working for no apparent reason, and/or lose its effectiveness to a considerable degree.

The only downside I can see about you switching to a comparable dose of Adderall would be the possibility of increased anxiety. Though a trial period of Adderall would certainly be worthy. Consult with your doctor and describe the problems, and your request. There shouldn't be a problem in shifting.
Old 09-28-12, 05:06 PM
Jr Member

Shiloh102 is on a distinguished road

As far as side effects are concerned, it's too difficult tp predict exactly how one will respond. I think it may be worth trying vyvanse. Your doctor could always switch you before the month is up if it doesn't work well or if appetite loss is too extreme.
Old 09-28-12, 10:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

DegreeHunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
It can affect some people that way. Although, it could be that you're thirsty, too. I do have to drink more water than I'm used to (or like) since I started Adderall XR and IR (in April or May of last year).

I don't notice any appetite suppression to speak of, but I'm not eating more either. I did experience some in the beginning, but that was short lived.

Couple months later I thought I would update things here.
After switching from Adderall to Vyvanse I had some significant weight loss even after trying my hardest to keep the weight on. Even if I took down 1000-1500 extra calories per day in comparison to my regular diet I was still losing weight and experienced a lot of catabolic effects.
I then used adderall for a brief period again and found myself reaching for snacks every 30 minutes and stuffing my face with food.

I'm currently on dexedrine and do experience the increased and constant hunger on this med as well. I took a week to take vyvanse again to see how it works out and it had a noticeable suppressant effect on my appetite.

I don't fully understand the mechanism yet, but I spoke to a couple colleagues and have done some research and have a couple theories. I'll do some more research into it before making any posts though to avoid spreading false information.