ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-01-11, 09:34 PM
Contributor

gatorADDe has a spectacular aura aboutgatorADDe has a spectacular aura about
Is it okay to mix Adderall XR and Coffee?

My doctor knows i drink caffeine and didn't warn me that this was a huge problem. But I was wondering since they're both stimulants if this could be bad for my health. I was a heavy coffee drinker before I started Adderall XR 15mg, and when I take my Adderall in the morning I still find I need a cup or two for it to kick in. Does anyone else drink coffee and take Adderall?
Old 12-01-11, 09:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Chace90 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is it okay to mix Adderall XR and Coffee?

I don't think it would be a problem, but you should keep in mind that caffeine can increase side effects of Adderall. I usually have a cup of tea or a cup of coffee to prevent a crash when it wears off at about 4pm. I try not to consume caffeine 4-5 hours before I go to bed. Also when I do consume caffeine with Adderall it seems to have a different affect, I get a bit more of a get up and go feeling which can be good sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chace90 For This Useful Post:
gatorADDe (12-01-11)
Old 12-01-11, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice

I had to quit coffee but tea seems to be ok. I have had issues with coffee jitters in the past though so it isn't just the Adderall.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-11, 01:26 AM
Contributor

yeah i've noticed it increases the side effects for sure. I feel very agitated when I have too much caffeine and adderall, and very anxious. I'm thinking about cutting out the coffee and switching to tea. I still feel like I need a lil caffeine to get going in the morning but coffee and adderall is just too much for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorADDe For This Useful Post:
socaligirl77 (09-17-13)
Old 12-02-11, 09:56 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

I agree completely. As much as I love coffee, I had to give it up. Everytime I'd take Adderall and drink coffee, I'd get a panic attack. Not fun...green tea works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTGATOR View Post
yeah i've noticed it increases the side effects for sure. I feel very agitated when I have too much caffeine and adderall, and very anxious. I'm thinking about cutting out the coffee and switching to tea. I still feel like I need a lil caffeine to get going in the morning but coffee and adderall is just too much for me.
Old 12-02-11, 10:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

I would cut out caffeine, and coffee especially, if at all possible. Adderall is a panic attack waiting to happen when you add caffeine. Too much PNS stimulation. Also, it will make the Adderall very inconsistent. You can't accurately gauge your dose when you are layering other stimulants on top of it.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
socaligirl77 (09-17-13)
Old 12-03-11, 12:54 AM

Bouncingoffwall will become famous soon enough

I'd get rid of the coffee habit before taking Adderall.

While you may tolerate the two together without jumping out of your skin (if you're lucky) or having tachycardia, coffee contains a high level of tannins (making it acidic); therefore, you pee a lot, and that pee is acidic, which means you pee out more Adderall. This shortens the action of the drug significantly.

Adderall alone does enough for me, personally. I have no need for coffee.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bouncingoffwall For This Useful Post:
socaligirl77 (09-17-13)
Old 12-03-11, 01:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,167 Times in 555 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

I had to cut down by about half when I started on Adderall, but it took me a few days to figure that out. Individual tolerance varies. You'll probably know if you have too much. Sometimes caffeine is a much-needed boost and sometimes it's too much. (Also, I probably make my coffee too strong.)
Old 12-09-11, 09:16 PM
Contributor

I did a lil research and I guess it could make sense how someone could need caffeine and adderall:

Caffeine, which is structurally related to adenosine, attaches to adenosine receptors to promote wakefulness. High levels of adenosine make us sleepy.

Adderall, which is a racemic mixture of amphetamine salts, stimulates the release of dopamine molecules into the synapse.

I guess it makes sense now why I still feel a lil tired after taking my adderall in the morning. Caffeine does increase the side effects of adderall, which is why I've decided to quit it.
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorADDe For This Useful Post:
socaligirl77 (09-17-13)
Old 12-09-11, 09:38 PM

MDigital is on a distinguished road

Its fine to mix but you're just going to be very upity lets say that... lol

60mg Dexedrine 10mg IR tablets - TID (ADHD)
10mg Ambilify (Bi-polar)
600mg Carbamezapine (Temperal Lobe Epilepsy)
200mg Seroquel (Sleep)
2mg Alprazolam (Sleep and or Anxiety)
Old 09-17-13, 05:30 PM

socaligirl77 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Is it okay to mix Adderall XR and Coffee?

relieved i had googled caffienne and adderall. i have struggled with ADD all my life. my dr started me on a hetic week. i lose my job, my Grams, and to top it off i have PCOS. anywho, i have been drinking my usually coffee with it and have experienced everything discussed on this thread. glad to know i wasn't alone. has anybody tried decaf? i love the morning routine of a nice cup of coffee but not at the expense of feeling like i have today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorADDe View Post
I did a lil research and I guess it could make sense how someone could need caffeine and adderall:

Caffeine, which is structurally related to adenosine, attaches to adenosine receptors to promote wakefulness. High levels of adenosine make us sleepy.

Adderall, which is a racemic mixture of amphetamine salts, stimulates the release of dopamine molecules into the synapse.

I guess it makes sense now why I still feel a lil tired after taking my adderall in the morning. Caffeine does increase the side effects of adderall, which is why I've decided to quit it.
Old 09-18-13, 12:00 PM

ferrarl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaligirl77 View Post
relieved i had googled caffienne and adderall. i have struggled with ADD all my life. my dr started me on a hetic week. i lose my job, my Grams, and to top it off i have PCOS. anywho, i have been drinking my usually coffee with it and have experienced everything discussed on this thread. glad to know i wasn't alone. has anybody tried decaf? i love the morning routine of a nice cup of coffee but not at the expense of feeling like i have today.
My doc told me this:
You should never drink coffee if you are taking adderall (like even on the same month) because coffee will increase your tolerance fairly fast. Both work by increasing the adrenaline levels in your brain (which then makes you more focused and the dopamine thing) but adderall is a stronger stimulant.

I know that this didn't answer your question, but just throwing out some info you probably werent aware of. A lot of people complain about their tolerance going up even with modest intake of adderall but it usually caused by caffeine and nicotine.

To answer one of your question indrectly, decaf is fine from the tolerance perspecive.
Old 09-18-13, 12:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,374 Times in 7,827 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Can you provide a source for this claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarl View Post
My doc told me this:
You should never drink coffee if you are taking adderall (like even on the same month) because coffee will increase your tolerance fairly fast. Both work by increasing the adrenaline levels in your brain (which then makes you more focused and the dopamine thing) but adderall is a stronger stimulant.

I know that this didn't answer your question, but just throwing out some info you probably werent aware of. A lot of people complain about their tolerance going up even with modest intake of adderall but it usually caused by caffeine and nicotine.

To answer one of your question indrectly, decaf is fine from the tolerance perspecive.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-18-13, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Can you provide a source for this claim?
Great question, I actually just went with what my doc said on this, but here is some actual info.

This article describes how caffeine impacts the adrenaline and dopamine levels.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/caffeine5.htm

I'm sure that you already knew that adderall works by increasing adrenaline and dopamine levels, but the adrenaline makes certain sections of the brain focus a lot better and allow us remember things a lot better too.

Google is your friend if you want to do more research on this.
Old 09-18-13, 02:28 PM

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure which chemicals are actually causing the effect of being able to focus but it is related to adrenaline to my understanding. According to wikipedia, the actual hormone casuing the focus effect on adderall is neropinephrine which coffeine also releases.
Quote:
Caffeine also stimulates the production of norepinephrine, another stress hormone that acts directly on the brain and nervous system. Epinephrine and norepinephrine are responsible for increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, and that "emergency" feeling. In fact, the emergency is quite real. caffeine can trigger a classic fight-or-flight stress reaction with all of the results listed in Illustration.
Caffeine Blues By Stephen Cherniske MS, page 57