ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-11, 11:35 PM

Arielle01 is on a distinguished road
I keep losing my wallet HELP!

I am a college student with inattentive ADD, and I keep losing my wallet, which on some occasions, has led to temporary starvation. Last week it disappeared, and thank goodness, a wonderful lady returned it to me. The only problem? I deactivated my debit card (so no one could use it), leaving me with access to absolutely zero money (I quickly used up my limited supply of cash on essentials).

Fortunately, I was able to get some money from my parents. My college gives us student ID cards, which provide us with access to our meal plan. I lost that too, and I used the cash my parents lent me to buy a new one (otherwise, I would not be able to eat). That pretty much used up the last of my cash, save for $1.76. Somehow, I managed to lose my ID card again meaning I can no longer receive food from our cafeteria. Basically, I have no food in my dorm other than 2 packages of ramen noodles and few granola bars, and the most I can buy with my remaining money is a few bananas or yogurts.

I can't ask my parents for more money, because I don't want them to get mad that I used up the money they gave me (I am a very frugal person when it comes to budgetting, but the replacement ID card sucked up pretty much all of the cash). Now basically my only option is bumming off of friends until my new debit card arrives in the mail. I honestly don't know what to do, because this isn't the first time I have lost my wallet or money, and everytime this happens, I am stuck skipping meals. Tonight, I had my first full meal in 2.5 days. I was lucky enough to locate a free food event in our student center.

This absolutely cannot be healthy, and there is no reason that I should be starving, because I have money in my bank account, it's just I can't access it. It's demoralizing asking my parents and friends for money repeatedly because I keep losing my wallet. I'm worried people will stop giving me money, so I often find myself going without food. I felt my blood sugar tank and all I could do was suck on a few hard candies I had in my purse. I need to do something differently, because I can't keep starving myself every few weeks when I lose my wallet and/or cash, ID card and debit card.

Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know what the heck to do because I can't just walk up to a soup kitchen and go "I lost my wallet, can I have some food?" What can I do to stop myself from losing my wallet? More importantly, I am scared that I will never be able to make it as an adult. Is there some sort of larger scale intervention I can partake in that will help me with living skills, like keeping track of my stuff? Gosh I can't even remember to take my medication (and as of now, even if I wanted to, I couldn't do pills, because it's a horrible idea to take them on an empty stomach).

Last edited by TygerSan; 12-05-11 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Paragraph breaks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arielle01 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-03-11), namazu (12-04-11)
Old 12-03-11, 12:06 PM
Jr Member

bill_the_cat will become famous soon enough
Re: I keep losing my wallet HELP!

Just wondering what the circumstances were on the occasions you lost your wallet and ID. If there's some kind of pattern it would be helpful to know in order to keep it from happening again.

Without knowing, I would simply suggest putting your ID on a lanyard and wearing the lanyard OR getting some type of key chain that you can affix a belt loop for your wallet.

I have also lost my wallet on more than one occasion, so I can relate to your frustration--replacing IDs, losing cash, etc. You might also consider NOT keeping your drivers license, credit cards in your wallet unless absolutely need them when going out. I imagine if you're at college you can usually get by just by having your school ID.
The Following User Says Thank You to bill_the_cat For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-04-11)
Old 12-03-11, 01:31 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 12,634 Times in 6,460 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

I've lost many things in my life, but with one strategy I've been pretty good about not losing things.

I always put my money clip (it's a money clip/card holder....don't want anyone thinking I'm rich) in the first drawer in my desk. It always goes there. Another thing is that I don't put my money clip away unless I'm changing or going to bed. This ensures that I don't begin taking it out of my pocket and placing it around my condo due to impulses.

I have a strategies thread that seems to have helped some people.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100053
Long-term, we must begin to build our internal strengths. It isn't just skills like computer technology. It's the old-fashioned basics of self-reliance, self-motivation, self-reinforcement, self-discipline, self-command.

~Steven Pressfield
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-04-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-11, 01:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Buy a brightly colored little plastic basket and put your wallet/keys/phone/etc in it. Put the basket in one place in your room. Designate it for those items only.
(You can find the baskets in 99 cents stores or dollar stores)
That's what I do/use in order to help with not losing my stuff.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-04-11)
Old 12-03-11, 06:45 PM

billa138 will become famous soon enough

i didnt read this but just get a chain wallet. they work great
The Following User Says Thank You to billa138 For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-04-11)
Old 12-04-11, 01:44 AM

Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,334 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Routine!!! Put everything in the same spot every time. Don't think "Oh I will for SURE remember this spot!" and throw it somewhere. You have to make it routine enough that your short term memory is not responsible for knowing its whereabouts!

I can't tell you how many times I've lost my drivers license and had to get a new one....eventually learned to put things back every single time. It was a hard lesson!
The Following User Says Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-04-11)
Old 12-04-11, 11:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

LaMbaL is just really niceLaMbaL is just really niceLaMbaL is just really niceLaMbaL is just really nice

My keys are either in my pants or in the door, my phone is either in my pants or in the loader, and my wallet is in my pants, period. Like others have said, you need particular spots, NEVER put your important things anywhere else.

Additionally, I know how much it sucks to regularly have to rely on the help of parents and friends in order to basically survive, but really: they wont let you starve, even if it is the umpteenth time you come knocking for help.
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

- Jack Kerouac
The Following User Says Thank You to LaMbaL For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-04-11)
Old 12-04-11, 03:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to all

That must be so frustrating.
Ive lost things in the past and had been so angry and frustrated at myself for doing it.
Old 12-04-11, 04:11 PM

Thanked 8,297 Times in 2,787 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

Wallet chain.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
Old 12-04-11, 05:22 PM

Thanked 11,898 Times in 6,205 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

you said someone returned it - so you tend to lose it when you're out shopping & actually using it? if you use a bag or backpack, make sure you get a really visible wallet (maybe bigger than you actually need) so you'll realize it's missing before it's too late.

(ok that sounds weird. but sometimes I'm not sure I still have it but then if I look quickly I can find it in my purse right away.)
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-04-11)
Old 12-05-11, 01:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

ByStarlight will become famous soon enough

I agree with everyone else, get a wallet chain. If your wallet is kind of large, try to get something that is just big enough for a card and a little cash. Anything you can attach to you would be best, that way you're sure not to leave it.

When I first read your post, I was a bit amused, not at your situation but because I started thinking of my wallet issues as well. I don't lose it on a regular basis, but I really should start taking my own advice because mine is huge and overflowing with receipts and store cards, etc. About a month ago, I left the entire thing sitting on a table in a restaurant. I didn't realize it was missing until hours later when I was about to go to the store and saw that it was missing. That feeling is one of the worst and most reoccuring feelings, when you can't find something that important. I was extremely lucky, because when I called the restaurant they said the waitress found it and put it in the back for me. First time I have actually been able to recover a wallet after it's lost. The times before that, I had to do the same thing as you and cancel my debit card. No extra money either, had to borrow from my parents.
Old 12-05-11, 03:12 PM

Thanked 13,632 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I keep emergency cash in the house in the safe. If I lose my wallet- unlikely- I have enough money to fill the tank and cover food.

I spent years losing critical items like keys, wallets, and debit cards/checkbooks. What I do different...

If I pay for a purchase, I check for my wallet when I get in the truck. Every time. If I can't find it, I am at the place it was lost. When I check for my wallet, I check for my debit card.

If my keys are not in the ignition, they are on the carabiner clip on my bag. No exceptions. If I am out, my bag in on the passenger seat. If there is a human in that seat (rare) it is on the floor next to their feet.

When I come in the house, my bag goes on the counter in the same place every time. If I take my phone or iPad out to charge, a VERY large note covers my bag reminding me to gather my electronics.

Need to take something with me? When hubby was alive I had a shoe organizer (the kind that you would hang in the closet) hanging from the door to the garage... and the car. Anything that needed to come with us was in it. Today I use a canvas tote and hang it from the door. In Spring and Summer or if the thing won't be damaged by freezing, I just put it into the truck the moment I think of it.

Every one of these things is a hard won habit. It takes work and some trial and error before you find the things that work for you. It's definitely worth the effort, though.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Old 12-05-11, 03:34 PM

davcom is on a distinguished road

In addition to what has been suggested, you could easily get a backup bank card issued (and whatever other cards you might need) and just keep them tucked away.

I used to lose things almost daily, and currently my wallet has been missing for some time however I can use my wife's bank card.

Cheers!
D