ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 10-03-04, 10:06 PM

ulu is on a distinguished road
Help! Why did Ritalin stop working so quick???

Hello,

Can somebody please help explain this! I am 26, and have been taking ritalin - 15mgs two or three times a day for about three weeks. In the first week or ten days or so, it made a huge difference; i was more focused, sociable, talkative and felt more relaxed in general. In other words i felt like "myself" again, for the first time in a very long time (although my sleep and appetite werent that good).

However, slowly it seems to have stoped working - the initial beneficial effects have disappeared, (as have the food and sleep disturbances). I am absolutely 100% sure that the initial improvement wasnt a placebo effect, and on the other hand i have given it quite some time before establishing for sure that it doesnt work anymore...

The problem is that when i was diagnosed I was living in another country, so my doctor there cant really help me. I am looking for a new doctor here, but here is England and these things just take a long time...

Is it possible that the initial improvement was just an "overstimulation"? What i mean is an effect that any person would get from an amphetamine-like substance, regardless of whether they had add or not? So maybe now that the initial effect has worn off it just doesnt help anymore because i dont have add???

Is it possible that i do have add, but i developed a tolerance within a period of 10 days?

Thanks in advance for any opinions...Its just really annoying to finally find something that makes a dramatic difference and then have it taken away again.

Cheers

Last edited by ulu; 10-03-04 at 10:12 PM..
Old 10-04-04, 12:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
It is almost absolutely impossible that it would become tolerated so quickly, since it's virtually impossible to become tolerant...when I had a similar problem, it's because I realized other medicines I was taking counteracted it (ephedrine, for cold), and then again when it "wasn't working" it was because I was drinking it with orange juice... so see if you can find a reason like that?
Old 10-05-04, 04:44 PM

pharmacy boy is on a distinguished road
Have you told your doctor about this? it is very important to keep your doctor informed about reactions to the meds in the first couple days, weeks, well you should tell your doctor about any adverse reactions no matter how long you've been on it, im going to my dr thursday to get him to switch me from ritalin back to either dexedrine or adderall, good luck!
Old 10-07-04, 08:43 PM

ulu is on a distinguished road
Hello,

thanks for the responses!

kmiller: i dont take anything else apart from a small amount of prozac. and i hate orange juice.

pharmacy boy: ive told my doctor, but he is abroad and cant really help me over the phone. He said that i can go up to 20 mgs every time, untill i find a new doctor here. But the increase in dosage made no difference...

I just want to know why it worked in the beginning and now not anymore! If it didnt work at all, then i would understand it: it would mean either its not the right drug for me, or i dont have add. But because it worked in the beginning, (and very well) im just puzzled. WHY DID IT STOP?

Any light?
Cheers
Old 11-03-08, 06:08 PM
Jr Member

Elff is on a distinguished road
Re: Help! Why did Ritalin stop working so quick???

That's the exact same thing that happened to me. I'm 21, and it was amazing when it started working, but then it just kinda stopped. One thing that I found that triggered it, was my caffeine intake. You might want to take a look at your caffeine intake because caffeine speeds up your metabolism, which makes the pills last for a less amount of time. If there is nothing there, I would take a look at your metabolism in general, and see how that's functioning. One last thing that might help; a detox. Normal detox's take a month to complete, but I know they also have detox tea out there and stuff you can do for a weekend. Just be careful that you don't just jump on the first detox you see. You said you were in England, check out a local vitamin shop or just ask around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elff For This Useful Post:
silivrentoliel (05-26-12)
Old 11-05-08, 03:41 PM
Jr Member

Elff is on a distinguished road

Oh, and also, the less sweets you eat the better. Natural sugar is fine in fruits and such, but try to cut out sweets.
Old 05-26-12, 09:22 PM

js81pa is on a distinguished road

Adrenal fatigue? Perhaps lay off stims for awhile to give yourself a break? I don't know if there is truth to this but I feel that years of coffee drinking kinda has be in this state of adrenal fatigue and it is really hard for me to just quit for a week or so.

Another thought I have is if you initially got a euphoria, perhaps that is wearing off and you are just left with more focus/attentiveness which you might not be noticing? Just a thought, never took ritalin so perhaps it doesn't cause this euphoria.
Old 05-26-12, 09:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

The effectiveness of methylphenidates, for me, has an annoying up and down pattern. Sometimes, it's amazing the clarity and focus, other times, I swear I got ahold of a sugar pill or something equally as useless- it has a lot to do (again, just in what I've noticed of myself) with outside stressors, the amount of caffeine I get, the foods I'm eating, and my levels of activity.

For example, lately I've been a bit of a couch potato b/c I have two broken toes... and I can honestly feel when my meds peak and crash during the day, but I'm not doing anything but sitting on the couch or something, so I wonder if it's not able to run through my system as normally if I was up and about...

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 05-29-12, 10:47 AM
Jr Member

leveller is a jewel in the roughleveller is a jewel in the roughleveller is a jewel in the rough

I've been hunting for advice on the same question "why am I no longer feeling the benefits?".

I'm 38. Diagnosed on 20th Feb '12.
Initial 3 days of 5mg, 3 times per day.
Then 10mg, 3 times per day.
2 weeks later I noted to doc that 10mg may not be enough, got upped to 15mg.
Now 3 months after diagnosis and I'm almost tempted to say that I can hardly feel it anymore.

I was advised to regularly take the meds 3 times per day, every day, regardless. But me being the idiot I figured I would not do them at weekends and let the real me out. I honestly think that this is what has made them less effective. Looking back it seemed after every day-break or weekend-break, the effect was less the next time I took them.

If I am wrong, maybe someone can explain, or if I am right someone can confirm it for me?
Old 05-03-13, 12:48 AM

Ruy Halla is on a distinguished road

This pills are vulnerable to the heat, ir if you are depressed or Its not adhd